Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Albert, that's because your eyes are old, like mine.

Could very well be Paul :)

Albert

Is anybody successfully running a catalyst in the sump instead of the main tank?

When I did I had no issues at all doing so and got the same results as when it was in the tank itself

Albert

• Like 1

Thanks. I have bubble algae that's reaching plague proportions, and before I start scraping it off, I want some method to deal with the spores. I'm thinking this might help, along with some mithrax crabs to eat the young tender cells.

My other option was UV, but one with enough dwell time for an algae spore would be pretty pricey.

• Like 1

IME the Oxydator is best run in tank however you can run it in the sump and I would put it as near to the return pump as you can for best effect. .

• Like 1

Does anybody actually have one in stock? Saltwater Conversion and Aquarium Oxygenator are both backordered.

If none of the two have any then I guess you may have to wait till they get stock again

Albert

• Like 1

IME the Oxydator is best run in tank however you can run it in the sump and I would put it as near to the return pump as you can for best effect. .

Does anybody actually have one in stock? Saltwater Conversion and Aquarium Oxygenator are both backordered.

If none of the two have any then I guess you may have to wait till they get stock again

Albert

I ordered mine from EU and had it shipped.

Les knows where to find them :)

• Like 2

yes that's the place.

Ordered more than one to justify shipping. Maybe do a group order?

Well I don't need one Seahorse breeder are the only ones the UK who sell them as far as I know.

• Like 1

I just built this experimental algae scrubber and installed it. The window screen on the bottom is temporary just to make sure there are no splashes. Remember, I have no sump so this is over the tank. This contraption also feeds my reverse UG filter which you can see in the clear plastic "manifold" in the back where the lower screen PVC tube tubing enters. I didn't want to have a separate pump just for this experiment. I don't have the light yet so this one is just temporary. It needs some time to build up a film on the screen so the water flows evenly down and doesn't run in small rivers. I normally coat the screen with cement as algae grows much faster on that, but I didn't have time. I may take it apart and do it tomorrow.

2015-10-26%2014.37.39_zps68vnxb1p.jpg

• Like 2

So my doser from Fish Street finally arrives. One problem they give the wrong size of it on their web site. The say it is 11cm long WRONG it's 17cm long and won't now fit my TMC shelf. Well time for a bit of DIY and I utilised a glass place mat to attach to 2 self-brackets. This works out even better for me as it brings to doser further forward rather than being stuck on the back wall, not only that but the dosing tubes from the containers to the doser can be shorter. I don't know why I didn't just do this in the first place as you can often make things better for you than you can buy purposely made.

. 20151027_113436_zps9ikjjeg8.jpg

• Like 1

Dosing all set up ready for programming. DIY containers and shelf. DIY mag and Alk. Now to get my head around setting the doser up inc calibrating it etc.

20151027_132139_zpsvixf0glt.jpg

• Like 1

So my doser from Fish Street finally arrives. One problem they give the wrong size of it on their web site. The say it is 11cm long WRONG it's 17cm long and won't now fit my TMC shelf. Well time for a bit of DIY and I utilised a glass place mat to attach to 2 self-brackets. This works out even better for me as it brings to doser further forward rather than being stuck on the back wall, not only that but the dosing tubes from the containers to the doser can be shorter. I don't know why I didn't just do this in the first place as you can often make things better for you than you can buy purposely made.

. 20151027_113436_zps9ikjjeg8.jpg

Glad you figured out a good / better way to integrate it in your system

Albert

Dosing all set up ready for programming. DIY containers and shelf. DIY mag and Alk. Now to get my head around setting the doser up inc calibrating it etc.

20151027_132139_zpsvixf0glt.jpg

Yes that will be the "challenge" Les ... getting it right :)

Albert

• Like 1

Glad you figured out a good / better way to integrate it in your system

Albert

Yes that will be the "challenge" Les ... getting it right :)

Albert

Celebrating will be the hardest agree Albert. My grey matter becomes more and more grey by the day. :wacko: I also have another DIY idea I am working on a CO2 scrubber to hook up to my Calc reactor. ;)

• Like 1

Celebrating will be the hardest agree Albert. My grey matter becomes more and more grey by the day. :wacko: I also have another DIY idea I am working on a CO2 scrubber to hook up to my Calc reactor. ;)

Not just yours, mine too :) :)

Albert

• Like 1

It must be international DIY day today :lol: . I made a mini version of that Paul but not so much to stop water splashing but to shade the slot as you may find GHA grows and blocks some of the flow there.

• Like 1

I forgot I had this stuffed away in the garage and when I came across it I thought, hmmmm I know what I can make/convert this too.

Any guesses?

20151027_192028_zpseghkuxvl.jpg

• Like 1