inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Oh No. My UGF pump died. This is the fourth one of these I have that croaked. You can fix them up to a point but eventually the seal where the wire enters the thing gets porous and although it will work in air. I don't really need a fan, I need a pump and when I put it in my tank it trips the GFCI. I don't remember when I bought any of these, but they are all from the 70s. They just don't make good pumps any more, or anything for that matter. Except Supermodels as they keep looking better, but maybe it's just my eyes. I can't tell.

A member sent me a new (old) pump like this so I have my reverse UG filter going again, but now I am in search for another one to mix my salt water and a spare in case another one of these vintage pumps bites the dust. I still have one more running. The other "new" pumps I have running are probably from the 80s.

2015-08-01%2015.56.39_zpsox29gogp.jpg

• Like 2

Actually I just got a new/old one a few minutes ago. A friend of mine owns a LFS so I traded him some brine shrimp eggs for the pump. It's the same exact one I had so all is well.

• Like 1

Oh No. My UGF pump died. This is the fourth one of these I have that croaked. You can fix them up to a point but eventually the seal where the wire enters the thing gets porous and although it will work in air. I don't really need a fan, I need a pump and when I put it in my tank it trips the GFCI. I don't remember when I bought any of these, but they are all from the 70s. They just don't make good pumps any more, or anything for that matter. Except Supermodels as they keep looking better, but maybe it's just my eyes. I can't tell.

A member sent me a new (old) pump like this so I have my reverse UG filter going again, but now I am in search for another one to mix my salt water and a spare in case another one of these vintage pumps bites the dust. I still have one more running. The other "new" pumps I have running are probably from the 80s.

2015-08-01%2015.56.39_zpsox29gogp.jpg

Looks like an old Hagen 800 or 400 Paul. Do you know about this stuff as it great for sealing wiers etc into things. I have usedit on an old pump of mine and it works a treat.

https://sugru.com/about

• Like 1

Sugru isn't guaranteeing that stuff won't leach anything into the water column. I've got tons of the stuff, I love it. But I hesitate to use it inside my tanks.

I take it your experience has been positive?

• Like 1

Sugru isn't guaranteeing that stuff won't leach anything into the water column. I've got tons of the stuff, I love it. But I hesitate to use it inside my tanks.

I take it your experience has been positive?

It's OK to use in salt water however they don't know about it's use in a reef tank etc. I put the powerhead in some bleach and water or 5 days and into some old salt water for a couple of weeks changing the water now and again. The amount used is very small but yes they won't guarantee it's use in a reef tank as yet but they are going for testing for use in food use etc. I have not used the powerhead as yet as I intend to use it only as a backup. It's a risk but with the above in mind I believe it will be fine. I have no need to use the powerhead so it isn't an issue as yet and with a little luck it will get the all clear in the future anyway.

Quote from Sugru.

"Food safety

• Once cured, Sugru is inert, but people can be allergic to anything, so we have to tell you to be careful. Sugru isn't certified as food safe yet, but we're working on it. For now, please resist the urge to eat it".

• Like 1

Food safe still doesn't mean aquarium safe. I just read an article the other day about fish transport bags leaching something into the water, killing the fish. They were listed food safe because the amount of solvent that is released isn't harmful to big fat mammals like us.

Here's the article: http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-news/2015/07/plastic-transport-bags-might-be-fatal-to-fish-marine-scientist-says-trending.aspx

• Like 1

Food safe still doesn't mean aquarium safe.

Yes I know and stated more or less above.

How do we know plastic's used in aquariums like powerheads are completely safe and what about silicone do we know for sure that's 100% safe and leaks nothing that could be detrimental to the life we keep after all if food grade plastic bags aren't who do you really know?

• Like 1

What kinda makes me nervous is "food safe" yet kills living things? While my big fat mammalian butt may handle small doses, when do we hit "no longer safe"? All these things we surround ourselves with are fin by themselves, but cumulatively? We just don't know. A bit scary to me.

• Like 2

I never heard of it but it looks very cool and I am going to get some of it. I wouldn't try to seal a powerhead wire with it because I wouldn't trust it. My powerhead lasted 40 or so years and I think I am happy with that lifespan.

• Like 2

What kinda makes me nervous is "food safe" yet kills living things? While my big fat mammalian butt may handle small doses, when do we hit "no longer safe"? All these things we surround ourselves with are fin by themselves, but cumulatively? We just don't know. A bit scary to me.

Indeed

You have to be careful about labels. I once bought wasp spray and on the can it reads that it kills on contact. I found out that that means it kills the wasp after the wasp "contacts" you.

• Like 3

You have to be careful about labels. I once bought wasp spray and on the can it reads that it kills on contact. I found out that that means it kills the wasp after the wasp "contacts" you.

So very true Paul

Albert

It seems all of my fish are happy and healthy. Since I blocked some open spaces I have not lost anything from jumping. The summer has been great so I am starting to slow down. It's almost time to put the boat away and stop collecting amphipods and mud. I noticed my acropora is receding and my LPS such as bubble corals, gorgonia, frogspawn, hammers etc are growing like crazy. I don't worry about such things because that is due to coral wars. Some corals, like some people just don't get along and different times of the year, they fight. We don't notice it and blame things like political parties, Taylor Swift and phases of the moon but it happens all the time in the sea and if your tank is healthy, it should happen in your tank. The healthier your corals are, the more they want to fight. We have the same "problems" with algae. No, it is not your nutrients, old light bulbs or Saturday Night Live re runs, but I realize I am in the vast minority so go ahead and believe it is your nutrients. I wrote a book that is supposed to be out this week, I can't wait because I want to read it to see if I still agree with myself. I realize many people- OK everybody dis agrees with me but that is OK. I don't mind. I try to inject some common sense into my writings weather people believe me or not. My Grand Kids listen to me. Now that winter is approaching I can spend more time on the tank. I don't know what I am going to do with it because I really can't fit any more fish as even now, they have to take turns putting their face under the water because it is over crowded. I still feed live worms and clams every day because I feel that is the secret. Well, the worms "and" the bacteria in their guts as that is what keeps them immune but I don't want to go into that on here. (can't take the arguements, I am to old) I already wrote plenty on that subject. I think my fireclown is about 24 years old but I could be off by a few years because I can't find his birth certificate. When I bought him I actually thought he was a red hawkfish because when they are young, they look the same. Sort of like me and Brad Pitt. I don't remember how old most of the other fish are but I assume they average 5 or 6 with some of them approaching 16 or so.

I am not to excited that most of my fish live for their normal lifespan but I am proud of the fish that are considered difficult that live a long time. Fish like bluestripe pipefish, copperbands and clown gobies. I am also very proud that all my paired fish are spawning as I consider that success. I am also happy that at this point in my life I have found the secret that allows my fish to live their full lifespan. It took me fifty years and I think I now have it right. The bottle of copper/formalin I have from the 70s I can probably throw out as I have not needed it in I don't remember how long. It was made in Brooklyn. Actually I still use it when I get a fish for practically free because it is covered in parasites and the store owner knows it will die. Those are my favorite fish.

• Like 2

Paul, you don't have to defend what you feed your fish at all. I am the same making my own foods as well as feeding frozen I either can't be bothered cultivating or are too time consuming or other for me to breed. As for white spot just what is that again? I tell people I have never quarantined a fish in all the years I have kept marines and have not had a case of white spot in about 25 years but like you I am a grandad to 5 with another on the way so the grey matter is a little more greyer than most. I used to keep a log of stuff but gave that up as unnecessary well for me anyway. People tell me am very lucky for my fish not to catch white spot well maybe it's my fish that are lucky in what I feed them. How can people see immunity is beyond me immunity from infection. I get told all my fish are healthy but white spot keeps returning Hmmm perhaps then their fish aren't as healthy as they look. Some on the forums I am on only ever feed dry foods. I would like them to be fed only the likes of cornflakes and see how they get on. What is important is the fact you have healthy fish proven by the fact they live long and don't catch white spot or any other disease TB polio typhoid or tetanus. Ok they may catch the odd cold but as yet there is no cure you just have to let it run it's course. Manufacturers don't help suggesting their foods are a well balanced food providing all your fish need, Ermmmm no I don't think so. There can be more things wrong with a fish than meets the eye but some refuse to believe it. "My fish swim and look healthy therefore they are" Ermmm maybe but don't judge a book by it's cover or a fish by it's skin unless it's got white spot, fin rot or a bacterial infection on it. These just can't understand why their fish get sick and die after all they feed the best food money can buy ....don't they. :unsure: .

It boggles my mind how many times I hear people say their fish are healthy and they feed them dry food. I am fed up to here (My hand is under my chin) with that statement. If your fish are not immune from just about everything including meteorite strikes and they are not pregnant, they are not healthy. Not even a little. Dry, sterile food will have an irreversibly bad effect on your fish which they may never recover from. It is bacteria, especially gut bacteria that drives the health of our fish but many people fail to realize that and would rather cure sick fish than keep them healthy in the first place. It seems so simple to me and I am a simple person as many people have called me simple. I May be simple, (and bald) but my fish, especially the 24 year olds have never been sick and they never will be sick. I am getting old so I may not keep discussing this topic much longer and it will fall into obscurity. When that happens many people will just keep their fish forever in a quarantine tank and never have to put them in a real tank. Dry food is fine as long as you use mainly food with living bacteria for the most part. I use dry food if I am on vacation, in a coma or dead. Fresh. frozen or live food will keep your fish immune as long as you don't quarantine them for 17 years in a bare tank with PVC elbows. Like really! :wacko:

• Like 2