Pod Your Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I replaced the wrasse that jumped out with this candy cane wrasse. I like him and may get another one

2015-07-14%2012.36.25_zpsgalbvv82.jpg

My Marine beta is doing great, hard to get a good picture because he stays in the shadows and wants to be an Enigma.

2015-07-14%2012.36.50_zpsctojdlog.jpg

The mandarin just does what mandarin's do and my bluestripe pipefish is pregnant again.

2015-07-14%2012.38.01_zps5nerivrg.jpg

• Like 2
albertthiel

I replaced the wrasse that jumped out with this candy cane wrasse. I like him and may get another one

2015-07-14%2012.36.25_zpsgalbvv82.jpg

My Marine beta is doing great, hard to get a good picture because he stays in the shadows and wants to be an Enigma.

2015-07-14%2012.36.50_zpsctojdlog.jpg

The mandarin just does what mandarin's do and my bluestripe pipefish is pregnant again.

2015-07-14%2012.38.01_zps5nerivrg.jpg

Super nice Paul. Glad to see the Betta too

Albert

I have managed to squeeze 2 LED units into my sump area tolight my algae truf scrubber.. The LH LED is 4.5" away from the scrubber screen the LH one is 3" away from the other side o the screen. I had remove my Deltec skimmer cup to take the pic. The LED's are splashproof and I have used 3/4" plastic overflow piping to make the rigs to house them. The light on the LH side can go closer or further away but the one on the right can only move foreward due to the sump return pipes and Deltec reactor feed pipe and I doubt i can move them over to move it further away. I am just waiting on 2 waterproof cable connectors to wire the LED's in as the lights only come with 12" of attached cable. I will run this alongside my Santa Monica HOB2 and see how it goes. The LED unit houses 16 red LED's and 4 blue LED's.

20150718_110031_zps3xnzjrh2.jpg

20150704_200809_zpsxwncg1ql.jpg

20150714_174706_zpskmtfargt.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel

Nice Les ... aren't you also using one of those Santa Monica Scrubbers ?

Look intricate but seems manageable in terms of getting to all the implements

Albert

• Like 1

Nice Les ... aren't you also using one of those Santa Monica Scrubbers ?

Look intricate but seems manageable in terms of getting to all the implements

Albert

Yeah I will still run the SM scrubber along side this one and see how they go together. This one is more an experiment to see how a DIY one will perform and if it wil lgrow GHA.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Yeah I will still run the SM scrubber along side this one and see how they go together. This one is more an experiment to see how a DIY one will perform and if it wil lgrow GHA.

Yes I thought you had one ..... and look forward to reading how both of them are doing

Albert

Just taken this vid of my tank. Not the best as I only have a small digi camera and the quality of the image and somewhat bleached out colours of the corals don't help.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Just taken this vid of my tank. Not the best as I only have a small digi camera and the quality of the image and somewhat bleached out colours of the corals don't help.

Very nice Les ...

Albert

• Like 1
HarryPotter

Hi Albert,

So my Montipora caps start out nice and dark, but over time fade. They get excellent growth, but the color has a lot to be desired. I've tried less lighting, heavy feeding, etc. but cannot figure it out! Any ideas?

4A303A98-9EB2-4A87-9359-EA21F460FCCE_zps

• Like 1

Hi Albert,

So my Montipora caps start out nice and dark, but over time fade. They get excellent growth, but the color has a lot to be desired. I've tried less lighting, heavy feeding, etc. but cannot figure it out! Any ideas?

I know I'm hijacking and you didn't ask me, but caps take a while to regain color after being bleached from too much light. How long did you try decreased lighting for?

• Like 2
HarryPotter

I know I'm hijacking and you didn't ask me, but caps take a while to regain color after being bleached from too much light. How long did you try decreased lighting for?

For like a month? I was up to 90% on the Radion and then cut down to 55% a month ago, and just now went to 50%

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hi Albert,

I would give it some time to recoup and make sure you do not blast it with too much lighting (and it has to be the right K degree too)

Albert

• Like 1

Immunity, just a thought

We don't "yet" have vaccines for fish but we have learned to use vaccines for ourselves. We are still in the dark ages when it comes to fish diseases with just as many problems with fish diseases now as we had in 1971 when the marine hobby started. Many people still believe quarantining is the "only" way to go. Quarantining is "one" way to go and it usually works very well and all new hobbyists should quarantine everything. But as we get more savvy we will learn how to get and keep the immune systems of our fish up to the point where they can take care of themselves. Most of us are not there yet so if you quarantine, "keep doing that".

Not long ago I had an epiphany. No, that is not an Italian desert, it is an idea. I was thinking about fish immunity and the problems many people have with disease when it hit me. No, I mean after my wife hit me. It came to me that 99.9% of the food most of us feed our tanks is sterile. Dry food is baked and frozen foods are, well, frozen. These foods don't have viable bacteria in or on them. This is a huge problem. A fishes immune system, just like ours depends on meeting bacteria, parasites and viruses so it's immune system can recognize the threat. If a fish has never come into contact with an organism, it has no natural defense against it. I am not sure how long this immunity lasts as I am not a fish immunologist and I don't play one on TV. But the live worms I feed my fish every day are loaded with bacteria on them and in their gut. I am relatively sure this one food is the main reason my fish seem to be immune from just about everything. Just a thought and in no way do I say this is true. It is an idea that is IMO worth thinking about.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Immunity, just a thought

We don't "yet" have vaccines for fish but we have learned to use vaccines for ourselves. We are still in the dark ages when it comes to fish diseases with just as many problems with fish diseases now as we had in 1971 when the marine hobby started. Many people still believe quarantining is the "only" way to go. Quarantining is "one" way to go and it usually works very well and all new hobbyists should quarantine everything. But as we get more savvy we will learn how to get and keep the immune systems of our fish up to the point where they can take care of themselves. Most of us are not there yet so if you quarantine, "keep doing that".

Not long ago I had an epiphany. No, that is not an Italian desert, it is an idea. I was thinking about fish immunity and the problems many people have with disease when it hit me. No, I mean after my wife hit me. It came to me that 99.9% of the food most of us feed our tanks is sterile. Dry food is baked and frozen foods are, well, frozen. These foods don't have viable bacteria in or on them. This is a huge problem. A fishes immune system, just like ours depends on meeting bacteria, parasites and viruses so it's immune system can recognize the threat. If a fish has never come into contact with an organism, it has no natural defense against it. I am not sure how long this immunity lasts as I am not a fish immunologist and I don't play one on TV. But the live worms I feed my fish every day are loaded with bacteria on them and in their gut. I am relatively sure this one food is the main reason my fish seem to be immune from just about everything. Just a thought and in no way do I say this is true. It is an idea that is IMO worth thinking about.

Thanks for the insightful contribution Paul

Albert

Both LED units now installed and switched on after I got sent the wrong waterproof cable connectors to wire them in. I will continue to run my HOG2 alongside my DIY scrubber and see how it goes. ! am just experimenting at the mo and hope I don't have too much light with the 2 x 20w LED units one each side. I am running the LED's for 20 hours to start off with. Time will tell how well it all works I guess.

20150718_110031_zps3xnzjrh2.jpg

20150723_131113_zpso6tgmxji.jpg

Dare I say it but I think I have done as much as I can with regards to DIYing my sump. Some things are still in the experimental stage esp my DIY algae turf scrubber I finally finished today, installed and up and running but you can never say never lol.

20150723_154344_zpsysuxgutl.jpg

• Like 1

Not the wires that were wrong but the waterproof connectors to connect the short lengths of wires from the lights. You can just see one the black tubular thing in one of my pics.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Not the wires that were wrong but the waterproof connectors to connect the short lengths of wires from the lights. You can just see one the black tubular thing in one of my pics.

Oops my bad ... misread

Thanks for clarifying Les

Albert

• Like 1

Apart from the short wires the lights look good we will see how they perform over the next month or so. BTWI retire (for the 2nd time) next week☺

albertthiel

Apart from the short wires the lights look good we will see how they perform over the next month or so. BTWI retire (for the 2nd time) next week☺

Yes indeed you'Ll figure it out I am sure

Happy second retirement

Albert