Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Hi I have a 60 gallon reef and it has been set up for over one year. I have been fighting gha for three months and i thought chemiclean got rid of cyano but it came back a month later. I run the fluval marine and sea leds. They are on for 8 hours a day. I feed pellets and mysids every other day . I currently have one manderin dragonet,three chromis, one yellow wrasse, a larmack angel, a bicolor and lawnmower blenny and two pijama cardinals. I am running lr and a dsb and a canister filter for filtration and do a 15 percent water change once a week any help would be great

Can you give me as list of all of your water quality parameters including NO3, PO4, Ammonia, Nitrite, Magnesium, dKH, pH, temp and what kind of water you are using for top offs and for water changes (and how much you do and how often) and also what kind of salt you use.

What foods do you add and how often.

Albert

I use rodi from my lfs. pellets and mysid shrimp every other day

ammonia 0

phosphate .5 ( probably higher before algae)

nitrate 5

nitrite 0

ph 8.3

calcium 390

temp 79

i use coralife salt

• Like 1

Sometimes the heads won't open on my sun. Like a couple. Should I be worried or do you think they are just full from yesterday. I am very anal about feeding every head. Sometimes a head looks beautiful but it's not sticky. By the way who are you. A marine biologist, an author, I just want to know because you are so knowledgable and we all come to you for your expertise. Curious. Thank you for your help. By the way this coral is my first coral.

• Like 1

I use rodi from my lfs. pellets and mysid shrimp every other day

ammonia 0

phosphate .5 ( probably higher before algae)

nitrate 5

nitrite 0

ph 8.3

calcium 390

temp 79

i use coralife salt

It looks like the issue may be the higher level of PO4 .... and that could come from the food used or from any additives you use (if any)

I would recommend some water changes to lower the PO4 and NO3 levels and rely on your clean up crew for the GHA and if you still have cyano then I would do another treatment with Chemiclean (not another brand) and repeat that treatment twice (one right after the other)

That should eradicate them and if you then maintain the water quality up to par my thinking is that they will not come back

For the GHA you can also do some manual removal do lower the amount of it that is growing and spreading.l

Once nuisance algae start growing and they have in your case, multiple and repeated water changes are the solution I would recommend to get your parameters under control

In my book Nano Reef aquariums (see my sig) these methods and others are described in far greater detail and others are covered as well such as the use of Hydrogen Peroxide for instance

Hope this helps

Albert

Sometimes the heads won't open on my sun. Like a couple. Should I be worried or do you think they are just full from yesterday. I am very anal about feeding every head. Sometimes a head looks beautiful but it's not sticky. By the way who are you. A marine biologist, an author, I just want to know because you are so knowledgable and we all come to you for your expertise. Curious. Thank you for your help. By the way this coral is my first coral.

If they do not open at all for days and days in a row then they may be dying off and you should remove those heads so they do not decompose and pollute your water.

At times some heads will not open every day so if it is intermittent they should be OK

And if you wish to know more about who I am and what books I have written and how long I have been in the hobby, go to the first page of this thread .... and you will find the answers you are looking for.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/305180-the-official-ask-albert-thiel-thread/

Thanks for the kind words

Albert

I had to order the thermal adhesive on line because Radio Shack now only sells I Phone cases and little else. So while I am waiting I am making copper disks out of flattened copper pipe and soldering them on to the tubing to give a flat surface for the LEDs.

I used to have a bunch of sheet copper but I can't find it so instead of driving for five minutes to get some, I am using copper pipe and stamping out copper disks with a Whitney Punch. It only takes a few minutes to make 10 of them.

2015-02-02%2000.06.30_zpsbmgtizmj.jpg

Here are a couple soldered on with an LED laying on it.

2015-02-02%2000.24.42_zps3zuq75hv.jpg

• Like 1

Nice. If you were local I would have given you some thermal adhesive. I bought a bunch when I was going to DIY my own lights.

Are you filleting between the disk and the pipe? Can't tell from the pic, but I would think it would be necessary to get good transfer.

• Like 1

The solder is taking up all of the space and copper is almost twice as good at heat transfer as aluminum'

I think the heat won't be a problem. I wish you were closer also. I hate waiting for silly things.

I may also have some of it around if I look hard enough.

2015-02-02%2001.12.52_zpsv0h42rwr.jpg

I have 60 years of "stuff" stored in here someplace. Whenever we demolished an old building in Manhattan I would take home anything interesting. Relays and components from old elevators from the early 20th century were the most interesting. Especially the relays.

2015-03-18%2008.22.48_zpsnwfjnxnn.jpg

• Like 2

I punched out and soldered on the 70 copper disks that will support the LEDs. Now (if I get time) I will clean it up more and shoot the entire thing with some clear coat because copper turns green and ugly. This way my Steam Punk look will last. But before I do that, I will make and solder on the supports for the plexiglass shield and also the supports to hang it over the tank. I am waiting for the thermal adhesive. I still have to either build or buy the heater core for the cooling.

2015-02-04%2003.39.56_zpszq7yayp2.jpg

• Like 1

Albert, love your blogs! Can't seem to download this to my podcast app to listen offline during my commute. :( Have to listen direct from the website when everyone is asleep. lol

Thanks for the kind words. Not sure how to help but you can ask Mary at the show on the Nature show website and I am sure she can help. Mary Fetters <mary@naturestalkshow.com>

The next show is tomorrow ® evening at 8 pm EST

ALBERT

Thanks for the kind words. Not sure how to help but you can ask Mary at the show on the Nature show website and I am sure she can help. Mary Fetters <mary@naturestalkshow.com>

The next show is tomorrow ® evening at 8 pm EST

ALBERT

I hope it's not a permanent thing! Will check with Mary. Thanks. Btw, the episode with Steve Robinson was riveting. I knew about cyanide, and glad the Philippines is doing something about it, but never knew the extent of the problem.

• Like 1

I hope it's not a permanent thing! Will check with Mary. Thanks. Btw, the episode with Steve Robinson was riveting. I knew about cyanide, and glad the Philippines is doing something about it, but never knew the extent of the problem.

Yes it still is a very serious issue not just cyanide but also the use of dynamite and even acetone

Albert

My bluestripe is very pregnant again.

2015-02-04%2005.14.26_zpsjtqaw5s5.jpg

What is that dish? You put it there for them to lay eggs in?

Very cool they are breeding. Your tank seems so natural and highly different from the "trends of today" in reefing- I love it.

• Like 1

That is not a dish, it is a feeder. I wrote about it here. I am a writer for that site.

It is different from the tanks of today because it wasn't set up today but long before anything in saltwater was set up. Years before the internet.

http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/diy-target-feeder-mandarinfish-pipefish-2804/

It is also described in my book Nano reef Aquariums (see sig)

Albert

Yes it is and I am very proud that Albert added it to his book.

It is such a great device that I felt as many people as possible needed to know about it

Albert

That is not a dish, it is a feeder. I wrote about it here. I am a writer for that site.

It is different from the tanks of today because it wasn't set up today but long before anything in saltwater was set up. Years before the internet.

http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/diy-target-feeder-mandarinfish-pipefish-2804/

Excellent Paul. I recently purchased a mandarin, I will make one of these soon and try it out.

• Like 1