inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Happy birthday Paul, mine was yesterday just as I thought I was catching you up, :lol:

A belated Happy Birthday Les

and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Albert

• Like 2

A belated Happy Birthday Les

and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Albert

Thanks Albert and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours hope you have a good one. I am out tomorrow afternoon or a few sherbets (beers) with the guys as I have done since I was 17 years of age (1 year under age to be drinking in the UK) My 2 sons are joining us this year so I am extra special looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Looks nice! Do Jellyfish have a high bioload?

No they do not ... in that type of tank you can keep 3 and get them to grow and be ok

You can read up on husbandry and maintenance of Moon Jellies on jellyfishart.com and look for the correct link

You will also find other information there

The Blue Blubber ones require a little more care and husbandry though

Albert

Thanks Albert and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours hope you have a good one. I am out tomorrow afternoon or a few sherbets (beers) with the guys as I have done since I was 17 years of age (1 year under age to be drinking in the UK) My 2 sons are joining us this year so I am extra special looking forward to it.

Thanks Les

Have a great time .... enjoy and be merry

Albert

So today I am making stuffed Calamari with linguini for one of the seafood dishes we will have tonight for Christmas Eve dinner. We are Italian so we have to have at least 7 types of seafood today. Last year we had 21 because we all bring something.
Anyway I am stuffing the squid and I had to go downstairs for more olive oil. I immediately sense something is wrong. I look at my tank and it is totally dark. Oh No. These things only happen on Easter, Mother's Day or Christmas Eve. I put down the oil and go in the back of the tank. Now I have this new water cooled LED fixture that I built a week ago and it has been running great with no problems. I see water on the floor and the sight glass on my fixture is empty. Oh No. The first thing I do is look at the corals with a flashlight because this fixture is made of copper pipe and if the water from the fixture went in the tank, the corals would be looking like snot from the copper. The corals look good and I can't see anything leaking. So I slowly add water to the system and OH NO. Water is shooting out from a union. I tighten the union and add more water. OH NO, it shoots right out. So I remove the union and remember I have a bunch of calamari in the middle of being stuffed. The Calamari will have to wait. It's dead anyway so it won't notice.
I put the union on my workbench and check it out but it looks fine. I screw it back on to the fitting using new Teflon tape, fill it with water, turn on the system and ......Oh No. Water is spitting all over the place. AAAAHHHHHH.
I really need to get these calamari finished. I remove the union again and take it to my workbench. This is not easy because I am covered in Olive oil and garlic. This time I look closer and the thing has a big crack in it. The crack only shows up when it is screwed to a pipe. I have a spare union and I install it and slowly fill the system with water. The light goes on, then it goes off, it goes on, then off. It takes about an hour to get all the air out of the system for it to stay running. After all the air is out, there is no more maintenance or adding water because it is a closed system like a car radiator. Luckily I built this thing with a fail safe built in. It worked as it was designed, if it runs out of water or the pump stops, the LEDs turn off so they don't burn out. The fail safe is how we design things on a construction job and it means if the thing dies, or leaks, it will leak outside the tank and the LEDs will turn off. All the plastic parts are outside the tank and I know my soldered pipe joints won't leak as I pressure tested them and now the system has no pressure in it. So now all is well. The fish and corals are happy, I even gave them some squid which they don't like nearly as much as clams because it is much more chewy.
Merry Christmas Everyone.

• Like 1

Yesterday my Wife and Daughter threw me a book party where we had 40 of our closest friends. It was a lot of fun.

IMG_23901_zpsahkktvdy.jpg

That must have been very nice indeed

Albert

How do you feel about black sun corals? I just purchased one and it will be here tomorrow. There are others on here with encouraging words, and black corals of their own, but a number of arrticles have nothing but negative things to say. Thank you ?

• Like 1

How do you feel about black sun corals? I just purchased one and it will be here tomorrow. There are others on here with encouraging words, and black corals of their own, but a number of arrticles have nothing but negative things to say. Thank you ?

A very nice coral but touchy to keep and requires lots of care and feeding

Albert

I just love making typhoons with my diatom filter. I am not sure how the fish and corals like it though. But they will thank me later.

2015-03-17%2000.47.39_zps3rujxiyp.jpg

They sure will Paul

Albert

I just love making typhoons with my diatom filter. I am not sure how the fish and corals like it though. But they will thank me later.

Cool filter. I am guessing the diatoms stay in the container and the water is pumped back so that you can continue to suck up diatoms?

Paul, I could not make the dragonette feeder in the end as I was using adult brine shrimp. Luckily mine also eats mysis.

• Like 1