Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Lionfish invasion in the Gulf of Mexico

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Farmboyreefclub/permalink/834834249962039/

Albert

I don't have facebook :o so the link didn't work for me - but no matter. I just learned about this first week of January when we were on a caribbean cruise. The Lionfish not native to the Atlantic have little to no predators except humans - now there is no limit for taking them - only way to reduce the population. Lionfish are destroying local reef populations. I read that Atlantic Lionfish DNA can be traced back to just a few fish, hopefully not a nano-reefer release!

• Like 3

I don't have facebook :o so the link didn't work for me - but no matter. I just learned about this first week of January when we were on a caribbean cruise. The Lionfish not native to the Atlantic have little to no predators except humans - now there is no limit for taking them - only way to reduce the population. Lionfish are destroying local reef populations. I read that Atlantic Lionfish DNA can be traced back to just a few fish, hopefully not a nano-reefer release!

Sorry the link did not work for you

And they are an invasive species that has grown in numbers considerably

Try this link.

• Like 1

Shameful, it's the Philipines all over again. :(

Yes but by the Chinese ...

Albert

I don't know what to say about that other than a couple of old skool torpedoes would put an end to it toute suite. Make a video of it, put it on YouTube and say if you come here, this is what happens. Sad but true, that is the only way to end it. The Chinese don't care, never have, never will.

They more than likely escaped during one of the hurricanes that struck south Florida. From what I understand, they're very tasty with the same EFA profile as salmon.

• Like 2

I don't know what to say about that other than a couple of old skool torpedoes would put an end to it toute suite. Make a video of it, put it on YouTube and say if you come here, this is what happens. Sad but true, that is the only way to end it. The Chinese don't care, never have, never will.

They more than likely escaped during one of the hurricanes that struck south Florida. From what I understand, they're very tasty with the same EFA profile as salmon.

I had the pleasure of eating lion fish when I was on vacation in the Caribbean last fall, and it was delicious!! One of the nicest fish I've tried!

And I totally agree with you regarding the Chinese. They are the worst offenders of environmental destruction. Their govt is corrupt. Their desire for endangered wildlife is disgusting. Their population are brainwashed. They are breaking so many international laws by creating "islands" in the south china sea, yet nobody can do anything about it. Sorry for the rant!

• Like 3

As I have been mentioning for decades I feed my fish live blackworms every day and IMO is the reason all my paired fish are spawning, I have never posted on a disease forum and I don't have to quarantine. I think I have found a way to make a great food even better. I have been experimenting and discovered that the live worms can live even if covered in fish oil instead of water. I really don't see how they breathe in there but I have kept batches of them alive for seven hours so far and think they only die if they dry out as they do overnight. When I study them through my antique microscope, the oil infused worms have much darker insides which I "assume" is from the fish oil penetrating the worms exterior or being ingested by the worms. I really don't care how the oil gets into the worms but I always want fish oil to get into my fish so I have been doing this every day to a portion of the worms I feed my fish.
After I soak them for a few hours I need to rinse the worms off or the oil will form a layer in my tank and the skimmer will stop for an hour. To remove the oil I put the worms in fresh water and wait for the oil to rise. Then I pour it out and re fill it. I do that a few times and then feed my tank. Remember, this is only an experiment.
I love it.

I can't get that line out so make believe you don't see it

• Like 2

As I have been mentioning for decades I feed my fish live blackworms every day and IMO is the reason all my paired fish are spawning, I have never posted on a disease forum and I don't have to quarantine. I think I have found a way to make a great food even better. I have been experimenting and discovered that the live worms can live even if covered in fish oil instead of water. I really don't see how they breathe in there but I have kept batches of them alive for seven hours so far and think they only die if they dry out as they do overnight. When I study them through my antique microscope, the oil infused worms have much darker insides which I "assume" is from the fish oil penetrating the worms exterior or being ingested by the worms. I really don't care how the oil gets into the worms but I always want fish oil to get into my fish so I have been doing this every day to a portion of the worms I feed my fish.

After I soak them for a few hours I need to rinse the worms off or the oil will form a layer in my tank and the skimmer will stop for an hour. To remove the oil I put the worms in fresh water and wait for the oil to rise. Then I pour it out and re fill it. I do that a few times and then feed my tank. Remember, this is only an experiment.

I love it.

I can't get that line out so make believe you don't see it

I removed the line for you ...

Albert

That is absolutely horrifying. They're violating agreed upon sanctions, and the government is protecting them, even when they're caught furthering the endangerment of the seat turtle. We can't let any more species go extinct. :angry:

• Like 2

If you want to culture black worms, you can do it in as small as a 10g tank. I use small cat's eye marbles in mine, keep the water shallow, 4-6". They do reproduce fast. I use them for mandarins, scooters and pipefish when they first get here until I get them on mysis. My little red male scooter blenny (Scootie) "teaches" them that the piece of airline tubing is where the good stuff comes from, lol.

• Like 1

That is absolutely horrifying. They're violating agreed upon sanctions, and the government is protecting them, even when they're caught furthering the endangerment of the seat turtle. We can't let any more species go extinct. :angry:

It is but there is nothing WE can do about it

Albert

• Like 2

Albert

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3317453/From-giant-whale-sharks-palm-sized-pufferfish-El-Ni-o-brings-invasion-Mexican-tropical-fish-California.html

This, while not scientific, is an interesting article, about something that has been happening. For the first time ever, we are very close to whale sharks, hammerheads, puffers, in the United States. Fascinating...

• Like 2

Albert

Oh, I wouldn't say that. I'd need a ride to and from, 6 other people and a dozen limpet mines, problem solved. ;)

• Like 2

DIY job of the day to mount my 2 Reef Blue Aquarays onto my Hydra 26s Now they can be moved out of the way along with my lights by simply pushing/ folding them back, they just need a little tidying up wires wise Job done. The new Hydra 26HDs have substituted some white LED's for more blues and as I already had the Aquarays I thought why not just add them.

20160130_141238_zpscl7w8kg6.jpg

20160130_141304_zpsjryapcde.jpg

• Like 2