Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

That Feather star probably only lived another week after that. They burn out what little energy stores they have with that flight and die. Sad, one of the animals I'll never import because they are doomed in captivity.

I totally agree

They should be left on the reef

Albert

You couldn't give me a damn Banggai cardinal, no way, no how. Any of the others yes, but I don't care for those. I've been trying to get the Blue bellies and the Red Spots now for 2 months and nada.

• Like 2

You couldn't give me a damn Banggai cardinal, no way, no how. Any of the others yes, but I don't care for those. I've been trying to get the Blue bellies and the Red Spots now for 2 months and nada.

Am with you there, apart from their coats a very boring fish IMO.

Hmmm, I have not been able to upload pic's to Photbucket for 2 days now they just keep failing to upload. :(

• Like 1

My tank seems to be evolving. I was looking at it today and noticing that I am leaning more towards sponges, gorgonians and long tentacle LPS corals than ever before.
I think that is because I have been able to find more interesting things than before even though there are quite a few LFSs near my home. They usually seem to cater to Noobs because that is their bread and butter but I prefer a weirder type of tank which is the reason I don't have any tangs or angelfish. I just find them too common and boring.
I realize I am in the vast minority on that but after you have kept those types of fish for many years, the thrill is gone.
I also love sponges and they seem to grow wild in my tank. I have some bright red ones and some very old blue ones as well as some brown ones that crop up in different places. Sponges do not need light nor normal food and prefer to live on filtering bacteria out of water along with some minerals.
I also find gorgonians fascinating as they take up a lot of vertical room and sway in the current. I know many people prefer SPS corals and although I have a few of them, I find them very boring. I think my problem is that I find too many things fascinating so I want them all.
Like most people my original goal was to just get some fish to live a while. Now my fish never seem to die unless they jump out as they often do. I try to cover all the holes, but they usually manage to find one. I recently found a dead wrasse in the bucket I have under my tank with effluent from the skimmer. Yuck, what a way to go.
There are a few fish I have never had and some day I will get them. Pinecone fish and flashlight fish come to mind but pinecone fish are very expensive and flashlight fish lost their lighting ability rather quickly, at least that's what I heard.
This week my mandarins spawned again as did my bluestripe pipefish and fireclowns. It seems they are all in competition as to who can spawn the most. My bangai cardinals have stopped spawning and I think that is due to lack of enough food as those guys can really eat. I stepped up production of hatching brine shrimp which is the reason for the surge in mandarin and pipefish spawnings but am having trouble finding very large clams which is the main food in my tank. I still get clams but for some reason very few places sell chowder clams any more. In the summer I can collect them myself.
2015-04-01%2002.19.56_zps9axjbyjy.jpg

• Like 5

Your tank has evolved quite a bit indeed Paul

More life springs up here and there in the tank and the focus seems to have shifted from just keeping fish to creating or recreating more of a real healthy and lively reef environment

And it seems you are succeeding on getting that accomplished

And yes some of the fish you mention would be nice to have but their cost is high and their longevity in captivity may be a problem as not a great deal of information on them is available that is realiable

Thanks for the post and the great pic

Albert

• Like 1

Pinecone fish aren't that expensive anymore Paul. If you're serious about one, I can source one for you. I see them regularly on lists from countries I buy from.

I'm more of a blenny, goby, hawk fish and angel guy. When we had the 240, I have 7 tangs in there and now I'm into cubes. I have tangs in the shop, but I like the little fish more. I never tire watching Digger Dan and Sarge go about their day. Dan never stops fixing the burrow and Sarge is ever watchful for trouble looming on the horizon. Dan is a tiger pistol shrimp and Sarge is a Yellow Nose antenna goby. I'm getting more and more into wrasses, the really oddball wrasses. I have 4 green Leopard wrasses in quarantine right now and they will be moved into my 93 cube in a few weeks.

• Like 2

Pinecone fish aren't that expensive anymore Paul. If you're serious about one, I can source one for you. I see them regularly on lists from countries I buy from.

I'm more of a blenny, goby, hawk fish and angel guy. When we had the 240, I have 7 tangs in there and now I'm into cubes. I have tangs in the shop, but I like the little fish more. I never tire watching Digger Dan and Sarge go about their day. Dan never stops fixing the burrow and Sarge is ever watchful for trouble looming on the horizon. Dan is a tiger pistol shrimp and Sarge is a Yellow Nose antenna goby. I'm getting more and more into wrasses, the really oddball wrasses. I have 4 green Leopard wrasses in quarantine right now and they will be moved into my 93 cube in a few weeks.

Did not realize that the price of the Pinecomes has come down quite a bit

What are they going for now if I may ask

Albert

The last one I saw was $125.00 and that was a while ago. I also feel they get a little too big for me as I also prefer smaller fish. I have a possum wrasse, pair of bluestripes, pair of mandarins, copperband, shrimpfish, marine betta and some kind of princess anthias along with a bunch of others. But I prefer weirder fish especially if I could get a pair so they spawn.

• Like 1

Finally got my new lights up (AI Hydra 26s) and running yesterday and all programmed in thanks to my mate Sam who is a real techie whiz on such things, he has an ology in computers and does things 10 times faster than me, I would still be here playing with the settings to get it as it is now. I am really pleased how it's all turned out and all I need to do now is see what affect they have on my corals. I also have a Maxspect full spectrum spot light I picked up very cheaply from a guy. I am using that to highlight my SPS barnacle tower. Back to my lights and the bracket, not bad at all for just £11 (about $17) complete and IMO far better than what the likes of AI are offering for around 6 times the price.

20160121_155422_zpsbc4rj82f.jpg

20160121_165910_zps2iyfplxz.jpg

• Like 3

Looking real good Les

Albert

----------------------------------------------------

A Reef Tank under Hybrid Lighting

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/01/21/how-a-reef-tank-really-looks-under-hybrid-t5-led-lighting/

Albert

Very inaccurate article that is more of an advertisement. Read the first comment!

NanoBox has been producing hybrid lights (better than Powermodule) for years and tanks in the United States (even some on this forum) have hybrid lighting.

• Like 1

Very inaccurate article that is more of an advertisement. Read the first comment!

NanoBox has been producing hybrid lights (better than Powermodule) for years and tanks in the United States (even some on this forum) have hybrid lighting.

I guess you will have to tell Jake at Reefbuilders :)

Been to one of my LFS here in the NW of UK called Cockfields farm, it really is a farm with a large aquarium store so large thye have a cafe in it. I got £48 about $70 for my Read Sea Pulsing enia and a couple of Monti frags. That's not bad at all as they grow like weeds in my system. I traded for a nice blue clam which are expensive here in the UK £65 (about $94) for a 3" specimen. I also got a small SPS frag and a red shroom. I had to add £32 to my price I got for my frags but am happy with that. :)

• Like 2

LOL indeed

I was looking at the new Red Sea Reefers 350 and 450 tanks while there and they had both set up with corals and fish on display. Very nice tanks indeed. They also do 0 % finance which is tempting lol Not cheap however at £1000 and £1400 respectively here if the UK.

Here is a YouTube vid of them.

• Like 1

I was looking at the new Red Sea Reefers 350 and 450 tanks while there and they had both set up with corals and fish on display. Very nice tanks indeed. They also do 0 % finance which is tempting lol Not cheap however at £1000 and £1400 respectively here if the UK.

Wow ... nice

Albert

I have one of those inspection camera's that have a 4' flexible probe on the camera that you can use to see what is blocking pipes, behind walls and all that. It is a very clear color camera so I tried it out in my reef tank. I pushed it all the way into the cave where my pair of pistol shrimp live with a watchman gobi. The shrimp were not impressed and attacked the camera. It is very cool and I can connect it to a phone or camera to record the movie. Of course, I don't know how to do that, but I may figure it out. I also checked out behind my rocks which I have never seen. Very cool.

• Like 1

I have one of those inspection camera's that have a 4' flexible probe on the camera that you can use to see what is blocking pipes, behind walls and all that. It is a very clear color camera so I tried it out in my reef tank. I pushed it all the way into the cave where my pair of pistol shrimp live with a watchman gobi. The shrimp were not impressed and attacked the camera. It is very cool and I can connect it to a phone or camera to record the movie. Of course, I don't know how to do that, but I may figure it out. I also checked out behind my rocks which I have never seen. Very cool.

I am sure you will figure it out Paul

Albert

Been to one of my LFS here in the NW of UK called Cockfields farm, it really is a farm with a large aquarium store so large thye have a cafe in it. I got £48 about $70 for my Read Sea Pulsing enia and a couple of Monti frags. That's not bad at all as they grow like weeds in my system. I traded for a nice blue clam which are expensive here in the UK £65 (about $94) for a 3" specimen. I also got a small SPS frag and a red shroom. I had to add £32 to my price I got for my frags but am happy with that. :)

Back when I was a kid we had a farm here that bred and raised tropical fish. You used to be able to buy different tetras 5/$1.00. The good old days. Hopefully in the next year I'll be farming corals at our farm. Now back to the blizzard, there's 30cm on the ground and another 30cm possible.

• Like 1

Traded some frags yesterday for a small cultured clam. Not cheap here in the UK this little 2.1/2" specimen would have cost me £65 about $92. However I traded my frags to offset the cost so it cost me £17 about $24 with my 12 frags. You guys don't know how lucky you are there in the US where just about everything is cheaper than the UK. :(

20160122_161231_003_zps0dyyx0f1.jpg

• Like 2

They also came out with a Reefer 525 which has more width; very nice for more interesting rock scapes. I think they are surprisingly fairly prices for what you get; a stand like that would be at least $700 to have made and then the starphire tank, overflow, sump, etc. Expensive though for sure.

• Like 1