Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Woke up this morning to what is a common occurrence these days with my tank. My skimmer was going nuts and the cup was overflowing. Everything in the tank looks fine however. I can only conclude a coral but maybe fish have spawned at night but I suspect its a coral. I will have to leave my skimmer off all day before starting it back up when it has usually returned to something like normal but I suspect irt will collect quite a bit in 24 hours when i do turn it back on.

• Like 1

Woke up this morning to what is a common occurrence these days with my tank. My skimmer was going nuts and the cup was overflowing. Everything in the tank looks fine however. I can only conclude a coral but maybe fish have spawned at night but I suspect its a coral. I will have to leave my skimmer off all day before starting it back up when it has usually returned to something like normal but I suspect irt will collect quite a bit in 24 hours when i do turn it back on.

Yes that is a good possibility ... or suddenly perhaps fish ate left over food and then excreted, or corals released some slime into the water and that made y our skimmer go bezerk

Albert

This happens quite regularly and most things likely when all fish are asleep

Yes and it leads to believe that corals and perhaps fish emit some kind of material in the water during the night that makes the skimmer over-act and foam a lot more than usual

Albert

• Like 2

Yesterday I came down to my skimmer going nuts. In all probability it was due to a coral or possibly a fish spawning. I turned my skimmer off as often after a while things go back to normal and whatever it is that caused it disappears and I turn the skimmer back on the following morning. Well, not this time, I turned my skimmer on this morning and it went nuts again. What to do, Luckily I had fitted a drain on my skimmer cup so I turned the skimmer down so it wasn't going quite so nuts but let it continue to wet skim. So that my ATU wouldn't dump a lot of fresh water into the sump I am manually topping up the sump with fresh salt water. The skimmate is still very watery just not as watery as when it was filling the skimmer cup within a minute or two. Hopefully, after a good few hours all will be back to normal.

• Like 1

Yesterday I came down to my skimmer going nuts. In all probability it was due to a coral or possibly a fish spawning. I turned my skimmer off as often after a while things go back to normal and whatever it is that caused it disappears and I turn the skimmer back on the following morning. Well, not this time, I turned my skimmer on this morning and it went nuts again. What to do, Luckily I had fitted a drain on my skimmer cup so I turned the skimmer down so it wasn't going quite so nuts but let it continue to wet skim. So that my ATU wouldn't dump a lot of fresh water into the sump I am manually topping up the sump with fresh salt water. The skimmate is still very watery just not as watery as when it was filling the skimmer cup within a minute or two. Hopefully, after a good few hours all will be back to normal.

Good thing you had it hooked up to a drain when overflow occurs.

Good for you

A precaution everyone should take and install IMHO

Albert

• Like 2

My skimmer does that maybe once a week as well. I drilled a hole in the top of the cup and have a hose back into the sump. Granted, I don't like it dumping back into the tank, but better than on the floor. I thought it was something to do with the vent hose becoming partially blocked, I never considered a release of "whatever" into the tank at night -interesting.

• Like 2

Good for you

A precaution everyone should take and install IMHO

Albert

Actually, I don't as such, I have a tap on the drain so I can drain the cup only. The cup was overflowing back into the sump . If I had the cup drained into a jug or other my ATU would have dumped a lot of FW into the sump to make up for the skimmer dumping into the jug which would have probably overflowed with the amount of water the skimmer was pushing out.

• Like 1

My skimmer does that maybe once a week as well. I drilled a hole in the top of the cup and have a hose back into the sump. Granted, I don't like it dumping back into the tank, but better than on the floor. I thought it was something to do with the vent hose becoming partially blocked, I never considered a release of "whatever" into the tank at night -interesting.

I turned the skimmer a Deltec 1350 so it's not wet skimming as much but still wet skimming. The drain is open and going into a large jug. As the jug fills I empty it and am topping up with new salt water. My skimmer goes like this approximately once a month or so. strangely enough it was a full moon the night before last here so am thinking full moon = coral spawning.

• Like 1

Might not be a bad idea to add an extra few litres right before the full moon to make sure. I had leather corals spawn last year in my 93 cube. I wish I could have had them settle in a run. That would be the ultimate in propagation, captive bred corals.

• Like 2

Might not be a bad idea to add an extra few litres right before the full moon to make sure. I had leather corals spawn last year in my 93 cube. I wish I could have had them settle in a run. That would be the ultimate in propagation, captive bred corals.

It's OK as when the cup fills and overflows it goes right back into the sump anyway

• Like 1

It's OK as when the cup fills and overflows it goes right back into the sump anyway

I am quite sure you empty it before it does that :)

Albert

• Like 1

I am quite sure you empty it before it does that :)

Albert

I do but when a coral spawns at night then the cup can be full to overflowing in a matter of minutes and I don't find out until the morning when I check the tank and sump.

• Like 1

My skimmer effluent bucket fills occasionally as it did this week, and the thing is five gallons. I have a DIY shut off so it doesn't pour on the floor or it would have. I don't know what caused it this time but once I had 24 local New York urchins all spawn at the same time.

• Like 2

I do but when a coral spawns at night then the cup can be full to overflowing in a matter of minutes and I don't find out until the morning when I check the tank and sump.

Yes indeed that has happened to me as well actually. Good point Les

Albert

My skimmer effluent bucket fills occasionally as it did this week, and the thing is five gallons. I have a DIY shut off so it doesn't pour on the floor or it would have. I don't know what caused it this time but once I had 24 local New York urchins all spawn at the same time.

Yes that would have done it for sure Paul

Albert

• Like 1