Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I loved looking at those clown fish. I didn't know that they would hybridize in the wild!

And they fetch hefty prices too. I'd love to get my hands on that black Tomato clown.

• Like 1

Just got back from key Largo, it was a little to cold to swim but we did go boating in our friends boat. 2 of my old girlfriends came by to meet us. I wanted to hire one for my clean up crew.

Manatees1_zpsu4yuywbj.jpg

• Like 2

Albert, I am not sure if it is one inch of manatee or two per gallon of water for a clean up crew?

That is a good question indeed Paul :) :)

I guess more will have to be revealed for us inquisitive hobbyists :) :)

Albert

Albert,

I have a problem and I was hoping you could give me some advice. I received some spa from cultivated reef yesterday. I started them on the sand then eventually moved them up to the higher rocks. I have a nanobox. I have a hydor 600 along with the stock return for the biocube which must be at least 200gph. The superman monti was receiving some direct flow I think, with the tissue blowing a little bit. Should I stop this? Also, my ORA bird of paradise came with some tissue already missing but now more is gone. It is also in a little bit of direct flow. What should I do? I also have a green slimer, red robin stag, la lakers monti, blue and orange montipora digitata. and green pocilopora. Do I have enough flow for all these corals? I know I have enough light. Should I just aim the powerhead at the front wall and the indirect flow will be ok?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Albert, I am not sure if it is one inch of manatee or two per gallon of water for a clean up crew?

Paul, manatees are quite heavy/dense so one must do a ratio of lbs per gallon. So you may get 1 pound of manatee for every 2 gallons of water for your CUC!

• Like 4

Albert,

I have a problem and I was hoping you could give me some advice. I received some spa from cultivated reef yesterday. I started them on the sand then eventually moved them up to the higher rocks. I have a nanobox. I have a hydor 600 along with the stock return for the biocube which must be at least 200gph. The superman monti was receiving some direct flow I think, with the tissue blowing a little bit. Should I stop this? Also, my ORA bird of paradise came with some tissue already missing but now more is gone. It is also in a little bit of direct flow. What should I do? I also have a green slimer, red robin stag, la lakers monti, blue and orange montipora digitata. and green pocilopora. Do I have enough flow for all these corals? I know I have enough light. Should I just aim the powerhead at the front wall and the indirect flow will be ok?

Thanks!

Go for non laminar flow all the way and add an amino acid supplement to the tank according to the instructions of the brand you obtain

Watch out for light shock if some of the corals are not accustomed to high intensity lighting

Albert

• Like 2

Albert,

Thanks!

What are your parameters, alk, calcium, magnesium, nitrates and phosphates?

• Like 1

What are your parameters, alk, calcium, magnesium, nitrates and phosphates?

temp 80

alk 9

calc 340

mag 1160

NO3 <1 ppm

PO4 < 0.01 ppm

Oxygen : saturation

pH 7.9 to 8.1

Albert

Not been well the last few days but on the mend now.

calc 340 Low you need to aim for 400ish

mag 1160 Low 1300 ish required.

Hope you feel better soon

ParAms off because tank has been neglected somewhat

Albert

Influenza put my mom in the hospital. I guess her son the RN. telling her she needed to go 2 days before she finally got dehydrated enough didn't mean anything. :rolleyes:

Hope she feels better already or very soon

Albert

I have just ordered one of thes,e seems cheap we will see if they are any good. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182006065497?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Stainless Steel Liston Bone Cutting Forceps
Stainless Steel Liston Bone Cutting Forceps in Health & Beauty, Salon & Spa, Scissors & Shears | eBay
ebay.co.uk

Looks good and nice price

Albert

• Like 1

I have just ordered one of thes,e seems cheap we will see if they are any good. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182006065497?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Stainless Steel Liston Bone Cutting Forceps
Stainless Steel Liston Bone Cutting Forceps in Health & Beauty, Salon & Spa, Scissors & Shears | eBay
ebay.co.uk

Just an FYI, those are also called Rongeurs by some places which isn't entirely correct. That is a hell of a price too Les.

Victorian Pioneers of the Aquarium Hobby

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2016/2/aafeature2

Albert

I have an old slate bottom tank from the 1890s. It has 3 candle holders under it for heating. They're on a geared plate so that when the candle burns down you just turn it up a little bit to keep the heat constant.

• Like 2

I have an old slate bottom tank from the 1890s. It has 3 candle holders under it for heating. They're on a geared plate so that when the candle burns down you just turn it up a little bit to keep the heat constant.

Yes indeed and I sure remember those tanks but without the candle plate ... but with metal rims, tar to glue it all together and a slate bottom

Albert

• Like 2