ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

The first tanks I recall had slate bottoms but used green window putty to seal the glass in painted angle iron frames which would eventually (read regular) leak.

• Like 2

The first tanks I recall had slate bottoms but used green window putty to seal the glass in painted angle iron frames which would eventually (read regular) leak.

Yes and the iron frame would invariably rust and rust

Albert

• Like 1

And quite possibly cracking the glass Albert.

No electricity here for the next 2 hours ..... Hopefully. Grrrrrr

And yes indeed and most of the time after a while.

Good luck with the cutters

Albert

as a result of my sleepless night, i am awonder this morning contemplating this...

question: can i feed my lps astreia starfish and bristleworms (from my own tank which is overpopulated by these)?

thanks albert

tyler

• Like 1

as a result of my sleepless night, i am awonder this morning contemplating this...

question: can i feed my lps astreia starfish and bristleworms (from my own tank which is overpopulated by these)?

thanks albert

tyler

How are you going to feed them ... shredded, cut up etc ////

Albert

Yes indeed and I sure remember those tanks but without the candle plate ... but with metal rims, tar to glue it all together and a slate bottom

Albert

I worked during the summers for a local wholesaler fixing broken tanks. You'd put the tar on the roof in the morning, then after lunch it was repair time with the softened tar.

Hey Paul, do you remember what you paid for those Blue Devils back then? I used to buy fish from Robert Straughan and the one that was in the back of TFH that sold the dwarf seahorses. The times have sure changed.

• Like 1

How are you going to feed them ... shredded, cut up etc ////

Albert

well i had not thought of that... i was thinking whole and live? would mildly minced be fine? or would more toxins be an issue?

thanks

tyler

• Like 1

well i had not thought of that... i was thinking whole and live? would mildly minced be fine? or would more toxins be an issue?

thanks

tyler

Not sure I understand

If they are in the aquarium right now why would they not being eaten already and why would you need to do anything special to feed them to your corals ...

Are we talking about 2 different aquariums ?

also often corals will not consume them,

Albert

I have had this tank an Aquareef 300 for a little over 12 months now and I have improved on it from day one. I am now officially a pensioner so I have to be a bit more thrifty than when I was working full time. I have been keeping marines in one form or another for around 35 years and boy have I seen some changes in the hobby but I digress.

A lot of my equipment I picked up secondhand off various local reefers eBay and .com forums. The tank was my biggest bargain of all costing me just £150 about $210. Some of the corals I transferred over from previous tanks but others were purchased as frags and over the last 12 months. I think my tank is all but fully stocked now and that includes the fish I also have.

Lighting has moved from an Evergrow IT2080 pro-reef tI first bought to the present setup up of 4 x AI Hydra 26s (not the HDs) again secondhand nd controller via the AI Director. These are mounted o DIY converted flat-panel wall mounting brackets.

Water movement is via twin split outlet from the return pump and a Maxspect Gyre FX150.

The sump is heavily modified to include the following:

Deltec 1350 skimmer

Santa Monica ATS

DIY waterfall A5 size ATS lit by 2 x 20w Hydroponics LEDs of 20w each

Deltec calcium reactor with DIY CO2 scrubber.

Reefloat away.

2 x baskets of Siporax approx 7 liters

TMC filter sock

Jebao 2 channel doses yet to be used fully.

ATC 800 thermostat coupled to a 300w Aqua Medic titanium heater.

Aqua Medic Multi reactor size medium for carbon.

Jeabo DCT 6000 return pump which also supplies my DIY ATS and calcium reactor.

I will list the corals and fish later. In the meantime here are a few pic's.

20160208_183703_zpsi6tzoqks.jpg

20160208_183722_zpsyn93vube.jpg

20160118_191935_zps3i4nud2i.jpg
  • Like 3

Lately my tank has been evolving by attrition to more sponges and gorgonians. I just like them better and it is one thing I have not done yet. The tank went from fish only to fish and crustaceans to anemones to leathers to LPS then LPS and seaweeds to SPS and LPS to now. I have been finding colorful, odd looking sponges and gorgs and I find them fascinating. I don't think I have seen a tank full of them yet but it is what I am going for now. I still have some SPS and quite a few LPS but my main goal is to keep my fish spawning and I have way to many fish. They have also gotten to large, and large spawning fish require an enormous amount of food to keep spawning and healthy. Of course that pushes up the nitrates. I think mine are around 90 which is to high for most SPS.

This is an old picture, I don't remember how old but I can see my 24 year old fireclown on the left and he looks young there. I used to collect these codium seaweeds on the east end of Long Island and put them in. They live a few months then get ratty. I also add to many other things from the sea but to me, it makes the hobby interesting. My tank is and always has been an experiment or something I find interesting and never meant to be the nicest tank around, which it certainly is not. It is also just one of my hobbies.
DSC01282_zpsc6d3e8ad.jpg

This is an older picture and I can see I always liked gorgonians (and copperbands)

PVCrock003.jpg

I used to be into these. Then I went to Germany and my tank sitter let the water fall by about a third and these were out in the air, so now they are reduced to a few smaller pieces.
IMG_1824.jpg

You could see some of them here.
6_zps8d10c4c9.jpg

• Like 3

The fish I have in my well stocked (some would say over stocked) AR300.

6 Allens damsels.

3 red scooters.

2 common clowns

2 Purple firefish

2 pinstriped wrasses

2Talboti damsels

2 Chalk gobies.

1 Midas blenny.

1 Star algae blenny

1 Yellow tang

1 yellow goby

Inverts and corals.

SPS, various hystrix, blue tipped acro, solid blue acros plus many more acro's, various Monti's inc a small but very nice forest fire. golden gorgonian trumpet corals. zoas, button polyps, Duncans, Porites, 2 RBT nems, tube worms, chalice, Rea Sea pulse, Blue clam, sponges, bubble coral and lots lots more.

• Like 2

The fish I have in my well stocked (some would say over stocked) AR300.

6 Allens damsels.

3 red scooters.

2 common clowns

2 Purple firefish

2 pinstriped wrasses

2Talboti damsels

2 Chalk gobies.

1 Midas blenny.

1 Star algae blenny

1 Yellow tang

1 yellow goby

Inverts and corals.

SPS, various hystrix, blue tipped acro, solid blue acros plus many more acro's, various Monti's inc a small but very nice forest fire. golden gorgonian trumpet corals. zoas, button polyps, Duncans, Porites, 2 RBT nems, tube worms, chalice, Rea Sea pulse, Blue clam, sponges, bubble coral and lots lots more.

Wow .. that is a high load Les but ... everything in the tank seems to be doing real well !!

Albert

If everything is doing well Les, then it's good. When things die, is when you need to look for the causes.

OK, here's one for the crew, out green BTAs are turning purple. Any ideas there? That tank full of anemones looks like my wife's tank did when we got it. It had 7 GBTAs in it. brought them home, did a massive water change and 4 of them split so now we had 11, lol. I've sold $360 worth of them since we got the tank so I actually made $160 on my $200 purchase.

• Like 2