Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

1gal MicroReef build!

x3thelast

thats sick man. is the controller worth it?

it's got some nice new features. But unless you've got a vega or buying a new controller anyways I wouldn't upgrade just yet. Wait til the Director comes out or atleast the wireless adapter for the sol and nanos. :)

Holy Toledo!

That's one seriously pimped out pico! I couldn't believe it when I see two probes in the background and an AI nano on this tiny guy!

You keep getting my attention on what you will do next! Nice work!

Haha if ecotec only made pico sized vortec. I'd prolly put one on there. Lol

But no more til next year. :)

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:lol:

this coming from the guy with a bad a$$ 2+ years old pico, with TWO clams!

:bowdown:

Thanks man, I'm glad you like it. In all honesty I think your tank is alot better looking than mine. I usually dont like bare bottom but this tank pulls it off flawlessly!

Thanks man, I'm glad you like it. In all honesty I think your tank is alot better looking than mine. I usually dont like bare bottom but this tank pulls it off flawlessly!

thank you sir. i plan on doing a 90-f barebottom when i move next year :)

if you get bored of this thing and upgrade or take it down for any reason in the next 2 or 3 years it will be a dang tragedy. You have a setup that could test the limits of bare bottom pico reef longevity and perfection in the making, totm across multiple forums. Dont you do it man.

I don't care if you buy six other reef tanks dont take this one down lol

if you get bored of this thing and upgrade or take it down for any reason in the next 2 or 3 years it will be a dang tragedy. You have a setup that could test the limits of bare bottom pico reef longevity and perfection in the making, totm across multiple forums. Dont you do it man.

I don't care if you buy six other reef tanks dont take this one down lol

dont worry man i doubt ill take it down til its over grown and bursting in the seams! i really want to see how long this thing can last for, im on the train to convert people to think outside the tank with their old school methods of reef keeping. so to prove a point, i will do my best to keep this thriving for as long as possible, my next hurdle will be moving the tank to another my new place next year. im already trying to think of ideas w/o having to take everything out and then put it all together after moving... :(

Beautiful!

I have my controller mounted the same way. So you're saying its "ghetto"? Got somethin' else to say, punk?

Haha :lol:

haha. i meant the light controller being velcro'd onto the RKL cord to hold it up. lol

Is the consensus that a pico tank has a certain "life span" or that a BB pico tank has a "life span"????

i think more so that the pico has a certain life span based on how it is started off the first few months?

but im not sure about the barebottom.

dont worry man i doubt ill take it down til its over grown and bursting in the seams! i really want to see how long this thing can last for, im on the train to convert people to think outside the tank with their old school methods of reef keeping. so to prove a point, i will do my best to keep this thriving for as long as possible, my next hurdle will be moving the tank to another my new place next year. im already trying to think of ideas w/o having to take everything out and then put it all together after moving... :(

How far are you moving? I was lucky because my house was literally blocks away from my old apt.

Both systems can be had long term

But how many long term gallon reefs can you find is the question

Heck yes there is a consensus they never make it two years

There are many big bb vs sandbed threads online, each has different dynamics

Bb is cleaner, but lacks the substrate diversity of the sand bed reef tank. Sand bed tanks literally put food back into the mini food web to an appreciable degree

It means bb tanks are more reliant on diverse feeding if they are to house the same variation of life a sandbed pico houses/feeds (namely the myriad fanworms that dot the surface of the aged pico reef)

Bb won't suffer from ots as bad as a bedded pico reef can, bad gas pockets etc

Bedded pico reefs theoretically, though debatably, reduce nitrate better than bb tanks as it is current accepted that denitrification occurs in biofilm layers in a shadow sb.

I debate the claims of denitrification made in reef tanks regularly, but some feel live sand and rock made a huge reduction of nitrates in their tank. By their logic, a bedded pico maintained correctly has better nitrate tolerances since the sand is additional reducing area

Seeing how these two different approaches are so wildly debated its only right to model it at the pico reef level to see what happens long term

I can certainly tell you a bedded pico reef ideally maintained, with ideal live rock maintenance, does not appreciably reduce nitrate we just need data from a bb gallon reef to compare.

looking good bro, i'm debating if i should do bare bottom on my next tank.

go bare...bottom bro! lol

easier to keep clean. no old tank nasty looking sand.

It's only a gallon, why cant you just CAREFULLY pick up the entire tank water and all and move it where you need to move it to?

Atleast that's what I would do, or try to do

It's only a gallon, why cant you just CAREFULLY pick up the entire tank water and all and move it where you need to move it to?

Atleast that's what I would do, or try to do

If there was no car ride involved. I'll be moving it into a new house not another room. I'm just paranoid about things getting tossed around and possibly getting damaged.

When I moved my 3 gallon, I just took everything out and put it in a bucket with corals/fragile items wrapped in ripped plastic fish bags to keep them suspended in water and not slosh around so much

Rock is easier to keep in a separate bucket

When I moved my 3 gallon, I just took everything out and put it in a bucket with corals/fragile items wrapped in ripped plastic fish bags to keep them suspended in water and not slosh around so much

Rock is easier to keep in a separate bucket

cool! thanks for the tip! :D

Archived