inTank Media Baskets

1gal MicroReef build!

x3thelast

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you do water changes, do some of your corals get exposed out of the water? If so, are they okay with that? I'm a bit concerned about it for my own tank, but I'm thinking they're probably okay with being exposed to the air for short periods of time as long as it's only once every week or so.

When you do water changes, do some of your corals get exposed out of the water? If so, are they okay with that? I'm a bit concerned about it for my own tank, but I'm thinking they're probably okay with being exposed to the air for short periods of time as long as it's only once every week or so.

All the corals get exposed. I take all the water out via airline tubing. They look all melted and slimy. They're out in the air for about a minute while I get water to fill it back up.

Ohhh I see, forgot you do 100% water changes. Well, good to know mine should survive as well, thanks. :)

Yea you'll be fine. Unless you have a sponge then you really can't expose those to air. :)

I just read this whole thread tonight. Stayed up well past when I should have gone to bed too...

All these kess theb 3 gallon tanks are going to drive me to try it again. I have a possible tank canadate. That just breeding fresh water snails right now. I may have to clean it up and give this a go. Or buy me a new tank.... (Like I really need another tank.)

So I lost track, how many different corals do you have in that thing right now?

I just read this whole thread tonight. Stayed up well past when I should have gone to bed too...

All these kess theb 3 gallon tanks are going to drive me to try it again. I have a possible tank canadate. That just breeding fresh water snails right now. I may have to clean it up and give this a go. Or buy me a new tank.... (Like I really need another tank.)

So I lost track, how many different corals do you have in that thing right now?

Do it! But make sure you place it on a desk where you'll spend alot of time, so you can stare it at for hours and waste time! haha.

umm i believe theres 20? plus a hermit crab and pom pom :)

Thanks again for checking it out! now go to bed!

Man I just re-read what I typed last night. I was far more tired then I thought. So many typos (not abnormal for me to have a few but there were a LOT in that post).

My 20 high is set up next to my computer desk. I already get distracted by that a lot. Probably more then I want to admit.

So some more questions:

What all do you dose, and how often? I still haven't started doseing on my 20 yet I keep thinking I am going to give it a shot, but I am wondering if it really is worth the extra expense. Every thing in the tank seems happy and grows at a reasonable rate. Just added some SPS here recently so I don't know how that is growing just yet, but it seems happy.

Are you still doing 100% water changes? Or 90% never was to clear on which one you actually were doing.

I am going to price some options for a nano tank here this week if I can find time between vo-tech and tearing the clutch/trans-axel out of my VW. After dark I have the time to look more so probably tonight.

Man I just re-read what I typed last night. I was far more tired then I thought. So many typos (not abnormal for me to have a few but there were a LOT in that post).

My 20 high is set up next to my computer desk. I already get distracted by that a lot. Probably more then I want to admit.

So some more questions:

What all do you dose, and how often? I still haven't started doseing on my 20 yet I keep thinking I am going to give it a shot, but I am wondering if it really is worth the extra expense. Every thing in the tank seems happy and grows at a reasonable rate. Just added some SPS here recently so I don't know how that is growing just yet, but it seems happy.

Are you still doing 100% water changes? Or 90% never was to clear on which one you actually were doing.

I am going to price some options for a nano tank here this week if I can find time between vo-tech and tearing the clutch/trans-axel out of my VW. After dark I have the time to look more so probably tonight.

i just dose c-balance each part every other day before the lights kick on. i feed with zeo additives (phols xtra/AA LPS/ AA concentrate/Coral vitilizer) and i spot feed pellets some lps with fauna marin LPS pellets (which the pom pom and hermit eat as well)

thats about it for dosage. i STILL do 100% water changes.

you can definitely find time. if i can maintain my two tanks between 11 hour work days and rebuilding my drift car. so can you :D

Goodluck and let me know if i can help you anymore.

I got in a bit of pokeing about tonight after the sun started going down and I was loseing feeling in my fingers due to being out in the cold to long handeling metal tools.

I got plenty of tanks to already keep track of, as well as a dozen other projects, whats one more iron in the fire right. ;)

I probablly will pester you a bit when I find/build a sutable tank. I may be building an AIO 10 for some one first. On second thought I think I may just buy extra materials for that project and count it as part of the payment for the AIO build...

Oh well the possibilities are endless. Back to looking at possible tank ideas!

I got in a bit of pokeing about tonight after the sun started going down and I was loseing feeling in my fingers due to being out in the cold to long handeling metal tools.

I got plenty of tanks to already keep track of, as well as a dozen other projects, whats one more iron in the fire right. ;)

I probablly will pester you a bit when I find/build a sutable tank. I may be building an AIO 10 for some one first. On second thought I think I may just buy extra materials for that project and count it as part of the payment for the AIO build...

Oh well the possibilities are endless. Back to looking at possible tank ideas!

Haha. Stay warm man. But I'm all for it. More than happy to help out another reefer! it shouldn't take much material if you're making a gallon tank too! :)

Haha. Stay warm man. But I'm all for it. More than happy to help out another reefer! it shouldn't take much material if you're making a gallon tank too! :)

I will stay warm if the weather decides it, other wise it is just an attempt at warmth. Have to get the daily driver working again as quick as possible.

I may have the material here on hand if I can find the stupid sheets of acrylic I stored away some where.

So any thing you might do differetnly on a tank around this size if you were to do it again? How about any thing you want to change about the current tank if you could?

Hope you have a good night, I am going to go pass out now.

I will stay warm if the weather decides it, other wise it is just an attempt at warmth. Have to get the daily driver working again as quick as possible.

I may have the material here on hand if I can find the stupid sheets of acrylic I stored away some where.

So any thing you might do differetnly on a tank around this size if you were to do it again? How about any thing you want to change about the current tank if you could?

Hope you have a good night, I am going to go pass out now.

if i could or knew how. i would have made this one gallon an AIO just so i can hide all my equipment in the back and out of view. as of now this tiny ato float is a giant obstruction visually. But I do take it off for some pictures now and then :)

I probably will do an AIO, thats a hair bigger then a gallon.

Do you have a skimmer running? Or is it just mechanical and some charcol?

Does detrus collect in a specific spot in your little tank?

I Was thinking I may build in a detrus trap to do water changes from there so the detrius is easy to take out.If I build it from scratch I pobably will go that route.

I probably will do an AIO, thats a hair bigger then a gallon.

Do you have a skimmer running? Or is it just mechanical and some charcol?

Does detrus collect in a specific spot in your little tank?

I Was thinking I may build in a detrus trap to do water changes from there so the detrius is easy to take out.If I build it from scratch I pobably will go that route.

No skimmer just sponge/ seafoam/ purigen

I'm sure there's stuff collecting behind the rocks against the back wall. A lot of flow keeps the bottom pretty clean.

I am going to see about supplies today for the tank. I need to go to some hardware stores to find some speciality tools for my car. What is another 30mins to look at parts for the tank while I am there. :)

hey are you still on c balance or did you convert to kalk only

thats a really hard thing to do in just a gallon, if I remember correctly you get 16 parts alk boost to one part ca boost w kalk thats what made me concern about how it would work in such a small volume.

Much less blue wash in that shot. I agree it seems to work well.

looking so good.

THANKS BROSKI!

hey are you still on c balance or did you convert to kalk only

thats a really hard thing to do in just a gallon, if I remember correctly you get 16 parts alk boost to one part ca boost w kalk thats what made me concern about how it would work in such a small volume.

still doing c balance man. ive bumped up to 2ml per part. to boost growth :)

Beautiful! I love the goni.

The only thing that throws me off is that my eyes go directly to the sticker on your powerhead...any chance you could peel it off? It might make a huge difference you didn't even think about. Just a thought from an outside source haha

Beautiful! I love the goni.

The only thing that throws me off is that my eyes go directly to the sticker on your powerhead...any chance you could peel it off? It might make a huge difference you didn't even think about. Just a thought from an outside source haha

thanks! and great idea! ill see about peeling it next time i do a waterchange...i WAS hoping that the cloves will have covered it by now, but they're not cooperating <_<

Archived