inTank Media Baskets

1gal MicroReef build!

x3thelast

started this today...just came in the mail from Mike @ Micro Reefs LLC!

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

plan to do a mixed reef but mostly softies and LPS.

maybe a pom pom later on. we'll see.

right now its cycling with old tank water and live rock.

should be a quickie :D

UPDATE (18Jun12)

FTS

photo3.JPG

UPDATE (23Jun12)

FTS

photo.jpeg

UPDATE 5JUL12

FTS

IMG_2275.JPG

UPDATE 17AUG12

DSC01267.JPG

UPDATE 10NOV12

IMG_2878.jpg

EQUIPMENT LIST:

• Micro-Reefs 1 Gallon glass
  • AquaClear 20
  • BoostLED Par30 3RoyalBlue, 1CoolWhite, 1 NeutralWhite
  • AI Nano w/ controller
  • RKL (PC4,SL1,MLC)
  • ATO
  • Clip-on Desk Fan
  • 10w Heater

FILTRATION:

• Coarse Sponge
  • FilterFloss
  • SeaGel
  • Purigen

INMATES:

• GSP
  • Watermelon Zoa
  • Frosted Ember Chalice
  • Duncan
  • Pom Pom Xenia
  • Aussie Acan
  • Red Magician/People Eaters
  • Green Tip Cloves
  • Peach Center/Fire&Ice Zoas
  • Leng Sy Monticap
  • Florida Ric x2
  • Xmas Blasto Merletti
  • Aussie Pom Pom Crab
  • Armor of God Palys
  • Deep Forrest Pocclipora
  • Red Planet
  • Darthmaul Palys
  • Xmen Zoas
  • Lord of the Rings Palys
  • Red People Eater Palys
  • Green Goni

I think thats it for now.

:wizard:

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
albertthiel
started this today...just came in the mail from Mike @ Micro Reefs LLC!

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

plan to do a mixed reef but mostly softies and LPS.

maybe a pom pom later on. we'll see.

right now its cycling with old tank water and live rock.

should be a quickie :D

1 gallon ... I am very interested in how that tank will develop ... pls make sure you post some pics. Thanks.

Great undertaking but with so little water I guess it is going to be "tricky" but nice of you to post

Albert

this will be awesome! loving femto tanks now! just started my own 1.8Litre tank! are you entering the sub1gal tank contest?

still cycling guys i have no light for it as of now yet. im waiting for this weekends big sale at my LFS to pick up a light and possibly some frags to put in my main tank while this cycles.

^_^

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Wow,

It's awesome to see our tanks starting to pop around more on the forums! Thanks for sharing!

MG

devilsadvocate

ive got the same tank, its pretty awesome.

ive got 4 maxi minis, and plan on getting 6 sexy shrimp.

ive got probably less than 1lb of live rock in there. ive just been going thru rock rubble and sticking them together. im using 5 day old water from my main tank to put into my 1 gallon when i do water changes. im also using a NEW filter flos thats seeded in my fuge.

ive noticed some pretty wide range of temp swings on this little guy. (i have no heater)

but i might not need one yet as the lowest ive seen it at night is 78F. but today we came home and saw that it was at 86F. we dont have the A/C on when we're out of the house. When we are home its around 74F in the whole home, and the tank goes back down to about 80-81F.

so my problem now is how to keep the tank temp low. i could try to use one of those fan things...i gotta see if theres even enough room for that. lol

During my lunch break I was in my car parked by the harbor and had an idea.

My new plan for my 1 gallon is to do a minimalist tank. Small piece of live rock and a few hardy corals. I'm just going to use the deco art filter with the foam and maybe a small amount of activated carbon. As for temp, I have no plans to use a heater since its summer right now. The lowest it's gone so far is 78 and the highest was 86. That's about 8 degrees difference. I want to see how long the corals can survive and grow. I'll have my boostled par30 bulb which should come in later this week.

As far as water changes I'm going to try to only do it once a week and then as time goes lessen it even more. But a full 100% change everytime.

I'll do a manual daily top off til I figure out how to make a tiny float switch for an ato.

I'll post a picture later of the scape.

albertthiel
During my lunch break I was in my car parked by the harbor and had an idea.

My new plan for my 1 gallon is to do a minimalist tank. Small piece of live rock and a few hardy corals. I'm just going to use the deco art filter with the foam and maybe a small amount of activated carbon. As for temp, I have no plans to use a heater since its summer right now. The lowest it's gone so far is 78 and the highest was 86. That's about 8 degrees difference. I want to see how long the corals can survive and grow. I'll have my boostled par30 bulb which should come in later this week.

As far as water changes I'm going to try to only do it once a week and then as time goes lessen it even more. But a full 100% change everytime.

I'll do a manual daily top off til I figure out how to make a tiny float switch for an ato.

I'll post a picture later of the scape.

Brandon429 has a lot of experience with those so you may want to try to "pick his brain"

Albert

hamster/rabbit bottle ATO just saved you a load of money and hastle ;)

ya but that looks bulky. im trying to make it as clean and simple as possible :)

and i will hit up brandon249 thanks.

• Like 1
ya but that looks bulky. im trying to make it as clean and simple as possible :)

and i will hit up brandon249 thanks.

Bulky? It's the only ato I know of with just a tube in the tank no float switches or any of that rubbish! Lol or do you mean having to have the bottle above the tank?

Bulky? It's the only ato I know of with just a tube in the tank no float switches or any of that rubbish! Lol or do you mean having to have the bottle above the tank?

ya thats what i meant lol.

top offs arent a big deal. ive got a dedicated water bottle next to it which lasts about a week.

added a chalice into the teeny tank.

as well as adding 3tsp of activated carbon in the deco art.

so filtration is as follows:

activated carbon

filter floss (from inTank)

black foam( the one that came with the deco art)

:)

Still waiting on the BoostLED order to ship (3RB/1CW/1NW 60deg)

Archived