Innovative Marine Aquariums

1gal MicroReef build!

x3thelast

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That monti sounds like it looks amazing! Excited to see it you might have to frag me some when it grows out! ;)

i was told its a leng sy. its the only monti i like.

hope itll grow out, i didnt have much luck with my hoeksemai growing on the very bottom. so for now i placed this on the highest point of my rock. if it grows ill transfer it to the side, on the glass to plate out.

ill keep you in mind when its big enough to frag :D

IMG_2413.JPG

top down of the leng sy.

its just sitting on top of the rock. ill glue it a little to the left later, i just put it there for now...

IMG_2412.JPG

next to the yellow tipped cloves im growing on my power head :D

Very pretty, I find the white polyps pretty interesting.

it's really much better looking in person. Wish I had a DSLR to catch its awesome color :)

Awesome!!!! I love that you're growing cloves on your powerhead. LOL

Lol thanks. I didn't want it to be too obtrusive. :)

Any new FTS? Hows the new monti doing?

ill try to take one this weekend. the monti is already growing over where its been broken off from the colony.

scored some new stuff today!

...but you'll have to wait til i upload pics sometime soon!

:wizard:

Tiny tank never stops amazing me! ;)

thanks mike. I've been amazed and have learned alot about how these creatures adapt in such close proximity within another.

I've added 3 new things since last weeks FTS. I'll post it up later when I get home :)

Very nice and clean! loving it. Hey, How do you keep the tank so clean? mainly the barebottom.

Thanks man. Well I don't clean the tank very often. Just 100% water changes once a week. And once a month I'll attach a tiny piece of sponge to a stick and clean the bottom when there's no water. :)

Also it should be reminded that this tank is dosed. i couldn't remember if you were dosing until you pmd me even though Ive asked like 5 times lol forgetful

Look at the polyp expansion, and vitality of the corals and consider how just a few years ago the reef aquarium scientists were positive you could not dose a nano tank, much less a pico tank (see wet web media/pico reefs for reference) but the new knowledge is that pico tanks do better with dosing a 2 part, in the correct manner, vs not dosing, after 6-8 months of running. Up to 6-8 months water changes only might work, but you can't beat the stability of starting dosing two part on a gallon reef right when you set it up.

There are myriad benefits, such that I'll never run a gallon tank without dosing because I have in the past and the outcome isn't the same. The dosed tank has better chemistry, less phosphate/algae issues, better coral growth which leads to disease resistance and better coralline in the tank covering up ugly barren rock with something reef-y...

Phosphates in the water column are bound by the calcium portion of a two part addition in whats called flash precipitation, the excess calcium binds free phosphate and removes it from solution. So each time you dose calcium to a pico, you are cleaning the water in terms of a well known algae nutrient.

Then there are pH benefits to dosing in the early morning vs letting the undosed tank recover from its low pH nightly period several hours after lights on. As this tank matures, we can watch it as a dosed tank and be able to track the outcomes predicted as time passes

nice pics man

B

there is no problem in running a gallon reef undosed. Its done commonly. But you will find after a year, the ease between the two different approaches takes an obvious change of pace and the undosed tanks need extra water changes and more algae work, the coral growth is slower.

At two years, there is no comparison...the undosed tank is nearly unstable unless the water changes are ramped to multiple times per week and even then that may not work.

At three years, there is no data to compare because the only gallon reef that old is dosed, no undosed gallon reefs ever made it that long.

There is no concern about driving coral growth stronger in the dosed tank compared to the undosed. Even at a faster growth rate, and less disease potential, the dosed reef will still take quite some time to truly overgrow with corals. Ive had a thousand dollars of frags in my one gallon for the better part of a decade and now that they really are taking up all the avail space, there's time left!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Heres a much better FTS ;P

IMG_2427.JPG

and a close up of new blastos next to their lobo cousin :D

IMG_2428.JPG

Man!

You just don't stop with the awesomeness this tiny tank is becoming! :)

Man!

You just don't stop with the awesomeness this tiny tank is becoming! :)

the corals are just thriving, cant help but to just want to keep pushing the tanks limits! :D

Archived