Coral Vue Hydros

1gal MicroReef build!

x3thelast

Incubus_doubled
added a chalice into the teeny tank.

as well as adding 3tsp of activated carbon in the deco art.

so filtration is as follows:

activated carbon

filter floss (from inTank)

black foam( the one that came with the deco art)

:)

Still waiting on the BoostLED order to ship (3RB/1CW/1NW 60deg)

Sick! any updated pics?

I'll post some of mine over the weekend since i'll be adding some new stuff :D

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sick! any updated pics?

I'll post some of mine over the weekend since i'll be adding some new stuff :D

yea im looking forward to seeing yours!

ill post mine up in a min. im eating dinner :P

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
started this today...just came in the mail from Mike @ Micro Reefs LLC!

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

plan to do a mixed reef but mostly softies and LPS.

maybe a pom pom later on. we'll see.

right now its cycling with old tank water and live rock.

should be a quickie :D

UPDATE (18Jun12)

FTS

photo3.JPG

Wow,

You take really nice pictures!

Wow,

You take really nice pictures!

Thanks mike, im just using my iphone.

what i SHOULD do is take pics with it INSIDE the tank since i have a waterproof case! :D

photo_copy1.JPG

filter set up on the deco art.

added chalice here

photo4.JPG

peep the lone dwarf cerith

hopefully my new LED will be here by the end of this week, so that all the zoas can open up!

Incubus_doubled

Damn! That looks nice, can't wait till the zoas open up... Thats gonna look sick...

Like the chalice

I notice the filter floss and sponge... Is that reg carbon or chemi pure?

Damn! That looks nice, can't wait till the zoas open up... Thats gonna look sick...

Like the chalice

I notice the filter floss and sponge... Is that reg carbon or chemi pure?

it's just regular activated carbon in a mesh bag that is zip tied closed.

There's really no need for chemipure since I'm going to be doing 100% water change every week.

I'll going look for a toadstool frag to add this weekend. :)

albertthiel
it's just regular activated carbon in a mesh bag that is zip tied closed.

There's really no need for chemipure since I'm going to be doing 100% water change every week.

I'll going look for a toadstool frag to add this weekend. :)

100 % each week ... why do you want to change ALL the water every week if I may ask

Albert

100 % each week ... why do you want to change ALL the water every week if I may ask

Albert

I just had a bit of a reply asking the same thing and giving some of my experience with a 1G pico, but I think the reasoning behind it is that he's using old water from his other tank. So it's already going in slightly dirty.

surgicalsense
I guess that size is now referred to as "Femto" ?

Albert

If they use the metric form, I suppose.

.... I really like the scape, too :happy: so cute and little.

I just had a bit of a reply asking the same thing and giving some of my experience with a 1G pico, but I think the reasoning behind it is that he's using old water from his other tank. So it's already going in slightly dirty.

Exactly. I've been using like 90% new water and 10% water I sucked out of the fuge so I can get some extra pods.

plus it's like flushing out all the wastes. And it takes 5 mins. :)

albertthiel

Seems like a lot IMHO and could change conditions a little too much ... not sure but that is what it would appear to be to me

Albert

Seems like a lot IMHO and could change conditions a little too much ... not sure but that is what it would appear to be to me

Albert

Personally, I agree. Also I found that doing even 50% water changes in my pico may actually have been detrimental to my system. I had zoas that just didn't seem to grow in the tank despite anything else that I did. Lighting was good, parameters were good. They just simply didn't grow. The best reason I ever heard was that the zoas may simply of had to clean of water.

Exactly. I've been using like 90% new water and 10% water I sucked out of the fuge so I can get some extra pods.

plus it's like flushing out all the wastes. And it takes 5 mins. :)

Really for what your keeping waste is prefectly fine to have. The zoas and GSP will usually like a little bit in the water. I would just say to keep watch on the corals. If you don't see any real growth soon then I would try dialing back the amounts of your water changes and seeing if that helps you out.

albertthiel
Personally, I agree. Also I found that doing even 50% water changes in my pico may actually have been detrimental to my system. I had zoas that just didn't seem to grow in the tank despite anything else that I did. Lighting was good, parameters were good. They just simply didn't grow. The best reason I ever heard was that the zoas may simply of had to clean of water.

Really for what your keeping waste is prefectly fine to have. The zoas and GSP will usually like a little bit in the water. I would just say to keep watch on the corals. If you don't see any real growth soon then I would try dialing back the amounts of your water changes and seeing if that helps you out.

Indeed, unless one is really really careful about the water params of the water that is added versus the params of the water that is in the tank ... variations in the water qual. are likely to happen and the corals and whatever else you keep in the small tank may react adversely and sometimes even worse (I saw a hobbyist in NM do large large water changes and not pay a lot of attention to the params and lo and behold he lost his shrimp and 2 fish ended up full of ich/crypto and eventually died ... FWIW

Albert

Indeed, unless one is really really careful about the water params of the water that is added versus the params of the water that is in the tank ... variations in the water qual. are likely to happen and the corals and whatever else you keep in the small tank may react adversely and sometimes even worse (I saw a hobbyist in NM do large large water changes and not pay a lot of attention to the params and lo and behold he lost his shrimp and 2 fish ended up full of ich/crypto and eventually died ... FWIW

Albert

okay actually its not totally 100% i still use water from my main tank to top it off probably 5-10% after i change out the water.

ill observe how the corals do, and ill start changing less if the corals dont improve or start to worsen.

also i put a drop of phytofeast/coralfrenzy every other night, hence why i opted for a full water change at the end of the week.

ill keep up with a FTS every weekend.

oh im still looking for a teeny heater.

thinkin of this one

25w adjustable heater

mastahluong

Looks great man! can't wait for a grown out pic too.

How high is your boostled bulb from the tank? I'm thinking of using my old PAR 38 on mine but afraid to bleach everything...

Looks great man! can't wait for a grown out pic too.

How high is your boostled bulb from the tank? I'm thinking of using my old PAR 38 on mine but afraid to bleach everything...

start up higher then lower if things are reaching up. id say maybe like 2feet ? idk mines pretty high above the tank.

Laser clear pics really nice setup!

thanks man. im really looking forward to seeing more 1 gallon tanks show up.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
thanks man. im really looking forward to seeing more 1 gallon tanks show up.

Me too!

Can hardly wait to see them start showing up more on the forums! B)

Can you post a FTS a little further away? Id be interested in seeing the whole tank. Maybe a top down shot?

That is a very clean setup. I like the rock work. Those micro reef tanks have very clean lines. Well done.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

They are cute and fun to play with! I personally believe running it without sand helps with keeping it clean, but many say that without the sand it might run into PH trouble as there is no buffer?

I don't have any proof but that is what I've read. I hope the tank continues to prosper, maybe some Bare Bottom fans will enlighten?

imo bb is better in smaller tanks water changes are so often the buffering isn't too much of a concern imo. Im stuck with a six inch sandbed in my gallon reef but thats because when i set it up i didn't know how much of a regret it would be and the goal is to see how long it will run without changing anything. done over Id have gone bb. But aside from the hassle it does provide a lot of real estate for pods and burrowing worms and I believe this can be measured in the number/density of fanworms all around my tank in the thousands, the micro fauna and gametes/larvae from the aged sandbed it just an additional source of food.

without it, Id just be feeding the high quality stuff they offer nowadays and it would be the same effect. Keeping a gallon reef free of detritus is vastly more important than any buffering. We could not measure or detect in alkalinity testing the difference between bb and a sandbed. If anything, the sandbed is worse because it will catch and hold proteins, degrading into acids through bacterial digestion. With age, I expect a bare bottom tank to be consistently better/easier to manage than a bedded tank, but the look isn't the same.

some just like the look of a sandbed, and there are ways to manage them. either way can work

B

Archived