Cultivated Reef

Alto's Dwarf Seahorses

altolamprologus

altolamprologus
Man, you guys make me feel so normal with my 600 square feet, 1 30 gallon, 1 3 gallon, 1 cat, and myself. That's all! Oh I guess I forgot my 2 mason jars for brine hatching.

Alto, are you ordering seahorses today?

I ordered them today but I missed the cutoff time to ship out today (damn time difference) so they will be shipped at the beginning of next week.

You forgot the King Snake, did you ever find it btw?

We never found him so I assume he made it outside at some point. Oh well, we found him outside 5 or so years ago with burn marks from a heating pad so he was obviously someone's escaped pet. It was only a matter of time before he escaped again.

Dafudge... You lost a venomous snake in a house? :huh:

Cali kings aren't venomous, they're constrictors. He was only slightly over 4.5 feet so he's not a threat to people.

Non-venomous. But still, a danger to other snakes in the house. :D Tho in truth, one of the saddest stories I've ever read involved an escaped boa.

Alto, 900 sq. ft. total and all that? :blink: Is this you?

crazy-contortionist.jpg

If we ever find a decent piece of land for building, I'm having a small lab attached to the attached garage. 150 sq. ft. with a utility sink, just for me and my experiments! :) Mostly I'm excited about the sink. I don't have one in my current basement.

There's no other snakes in the house, but there are 3 meal sized birds :scarry:

It's not quite that cramped, but I do only have a bed and a small closet to myself. This is actually the least amount of animals I've had in about a decade, so I'm pretty used to them being everywhere and not having space for stuff like furniture.

That sounds amazing. I read part of your realtor thread and what you're looking for is pretty much my dream: a decent plot of land with a custom house that includes a fish room and a horse and some other farm animals. Post pics when you finally get your place so I can live vicariously through you :D

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus

Thanks sillycupid for the link :) I followed those directions and now have a fantastic hatch rate.

I ordered them today but I missed the cutoff time to ship out today (damn time difference) so they will be shipped at the beginning of next week.

Hate it when that happens!

Cali kings aren't venomous, they're constrictors. He was only slightly over 4.5 feet so he's not a threat to people.

Infants.

That sounds amazing.

Yeah but... THE SINK! :]

*sigh*.. I'll update that thread when something finally happens. And of course I'll have a thread for the lab, but I don't know, I don't actually enjoy showing things off to people who don't have them. I want people to be happy for what they have, not envious of what they don't. If you want horse and animal photos, I'll send them to you.

Can't wait to see the Seahorses! Do something special for that post. It's a big moment. :)

altolamprologus
Infants.

Yeah but... THE SINK! :]

*sigh*.. I'll update that thread when something finally happens. And of course I'll have a thread for the lab, but I don't know, I don't actually enjoy showing things off to people who don't have them. I want people to be happy for what they have, not envious of what they don't. If you want horse and animal photos, I'll send them to you.

Can't wait to see the Seahorses! Do something special for that post. It's a big moment. :)

Not even infants. Kingsnakes are super skinny so even though he's almost 5 feet, an adult mouse is a challenge to swallow.

Excited for that sink huh? That actually sounds really nice to be able to rinse equipment and drain massive amount of water without going outside.

I will do something special. I may get Yoshii to come over and take super awesome pics with her fancy camera.

darn it, i was hoping i'd see some pictures of some newly arrived dwarf seahorses :////// i'll keep my eye out on your thread for next week's arrival!

Sorry I was hoping to get them this week too. I keep getting caught up in stuff and I forgot to order them yesterday.

Here's an FTS for you guys. A terrible quality cell phone pic will have to do for now.

3gal06-06-12.jpg

Oh, oh right. Over 4.5ft, definitely not a threat. :rolleyes:

So did chu order teh sheeherses on Toosdeh? :D

altolamprologus
Oh, oh right. Over 4.5ft, definitely not a threat. :rolleyes:

So did chu order teh sheeherses on Toosdeh? :D

I ordered them today but I missed the shipping cutoff so they're coming next week.

Sorry you missed the shipping cut off. I can't wait to see the little guys next week. You did order from Seahorse Corral, correct? I e-mailed them a while back and never heard back. I guess when I order I'll call them and try to ask the questions I wanted to ask. I'm predicting that I'll be ready to order week after next. Gotta let the cycle finish and then spend 3 days of next week soaking macros.

I ordered them today but I missed the shipping cutoff so they're coming next week.

How many? How many males vs females? What color? :o

TELL ME MORE TELL ME MORE! :D

altolamprologus
Sorry you missed the shipping cut off. I can't wait to see the little guys next week. You did order from Seahorse Corral, correct? I e-mailed them a while back and never heard back. I guess when I order I'll call them and try to ask the questions I wanted to ask. I'm predicting that I'll be ready to order week after next. Gotta let the cycle finish and then spend 3 days of next week soaking macros.

Yeah, Seahorse Corral. There's only one chick that answers emails so maybe she was too busy and it got lost in her inbox. I called to order and she took my info and sent me an email with a quote before sending me the invoice.

How many? How many males vs females? What color? :o

TELL ME MORE TELL ME MORE! :D

I got 2 males and 2 females. Color is highly variable and they adapt to their environment, but the website says they get a lot of yellows and oranges.

altolamprologus

Bad news guys. My source for the seahorses informed me they ran out of males. They have a batch a juvis that will be ready in about a week, so I have to wait for those :(

Bad news guys. My source for the seahorses informed me they ran out of males. They have a batch a juvis that will be ready in about a week, so I have to wait for those :(

Boo, those whor...rible people! :angry:

sillycupid

Too bad you could not receive any full grown males. The young boys will have to stretch out their pouches!

Yeah, Seahorse Corral. There's only one chick that answers emails so maybe she was too busy and it got lost in her inbox. I called to order and she took my info and sent me an email with a quote before sending me the invoice.

I got 2 males and 2 females. Color is highly variable and they adapt to their environment, but the website says they get a lot of yellows and oranges.

Sorry, im a little slow....where are you guys getting your dwarfs from ?? And who claims to have orange dwarfs!! ??? also I found 2 more babies, so that makes 4 babies from the 2 pair I received from Saltcritters. I really like thier dwarfs.

Sorry, im a little slow....where are you guys getting your dwarfs from ?? And who claims to have orange dwarfs!! ??? also I found 2 more babies, so that makes 4 babies from the 2 pair I received from Saltcritters. I really like thier dwarfs.

Seahorse Corral

Many of them are bright yellow or orange but we cannot guarantee, and do not charge for, color, as these tiny seahorses are highly adaptive to their environment.
altolamprologus

See Tam's post. I'm hoping with the amount of red macro algae I have as well as some yellow eucheuma I will be getting that they'll stay nicely colored.

THis obviously isnt a dwarf system, but soon my dwarf tank will be inline with this tank, so it can share the skimmer, chiller etc. Just thought I would show you my big boy seahorse tank. Oh, Macro courtesy of MetroKat.

dsc0217zb.jpg

dsc0228nz.jpg

All of the seahorses were raised by me. They are mostly Yellow Erectus and Brazilians, there are a couple of arange/red ones. FIltration consists of a 55 gal sump with skimmer and 1/2 hp chiller. System gets 30 gal water changes every weekend with old water from my reef tank.

dsc0239jv.jpg

Pinnatus batfish

dsc0245wl.jpg

Mated pair of orange spot filefish. Been in there 3 years

dsc0230il.jpg

I guess this doesnt really belong on this thread, but I was never very good at playing by the rules, and I like this thread so there :P

TheKleinReef
I guess this doesnt really belong on this thread, but I was never very good at playing by the rules, and I like this thread so there :P

just make your own thread (: haha i'd like to see some more!

That's not a sea horse...

Crocodile%20Dundee%20-%20That

see_horse.jpg

altolamprologus
THis obviously isnt a dwarf system, but soon my dwarf tank will be inline with this tank, so it can share the skimmer, chiller etc. Just thought I would show you my big boy seahorse tank. Oh, Macro courtesy of MetroKat.

dsc0217zb.jpg

dsc0228nz.jpg

All of the seahorses were raised by me. They are mostly Yellow Erectus and Brazilians, there are a couple of arange/red ones. FIltration consists of a 55 gal sump with skimmer and 1/2 hp chiller. System gets 30 gal water changes every weekend with old water from my reef tank.

dsc0239jv.jpg

Pinnatus batfish

dsc0245wl.jpg

Mated pair of orange spot filefish. Been in there 3 years

dsc0230il.jpg

I don't care that it doesn't belong here. You can post pics of that batfish all day long if you want to. That guy is such a beauty! Thanks for sharing it with me :)

just make your own thread (: haha i'd like to see some more!

I agree, that system deserves it's own thread so everyone can enjoy it (and so we can get more pics!)

That's not a sea horse...

Crocodile%20Dundee%20-%20That

see_horse.jpg

Lol nice. And yes, I do know what movie you're referencing.

Zeph, that batfish picture does not do it justice. Here

macro2.jpg

Start your own thread already!

Such a "Regal" looking fish!

Beautiful! ;)

Archived