Pod Your Reef

Alto's Dwarf Seahorses

altolamprologus

They are illegal. Ocean pro is a really bad seller. I knew some people on an octopus forum that had some bad experiences with them. I even emailed them once and got nothing back.

My condolences, Alto.

THanks for that. I was very interested in any feedback concerning ocean Pro, I even started a feedback thread. I didnt even get one response. LOL.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I said was a Freudian Slip. I apologize.

I totally got it. You were creating an intentional contrast to say Alto didn't "kill anything", but rather, some things merely "died". I thought it succinct.

Honestly Alto, blaming yourself would be like a paramedic feeling guilty for being at the scene. Giveth life and the ultimate consequence is always the same. Was the journey worth it? Will you take it again? How's the poem go?

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;..

I've been totally impressed by your accomplishments thus far and genuinely appreciate the way you conduct your research. Even if this thread were closed today, it's full of useful advice, info, and helpful participation that will continue to be referenced by others into the next year, at least. If all that it has cost you is a few replacable ponies and a smidgen of pride, then you've succeeded at much indeed. So now the pressure is off... :]

Please keep going and great big hugs to you!

hug.jpg

Still looking forward to the next step in your adventure, wherever it may lead. :)

Still looking forward to the next step in your adventure, wherever it may lead. :)

Oh that's something.. Perhaps a metal like lead got dropped into the tank or was lying in it for too long? Any ink pens around? Coins?

altolamprologus
I totally got it. You were creating an intentional contrast to say Alto didn't "kill anything", but rather, some things merely "died". I thought it succinct.

Honestly Alto, blaming yourself would be like a paramedic feeling guilty for being at the scene. Giveth life and the ultimate consequence is always the same. Was the journey worth it? Will you take it again? How's the poem go?

I've been totally impressed by your accomplishments thus far and genuinely appreciate the way you conduct your research. Even if this thread were closed today, it's full of useful advice, info, and helpful participation that will continue to be referenced by others into the next year, at least. If all that it has cost you is a few replacable ponies and a smidgen of pride, then you've succeeded at much indeed. So now the pressure is off... :]

Please keep going and great big hugs to you!

hug.jpg

Hey Whys, thanks for stopping by. It's been a while! I am going to get more ponies soon and try this again. And I will be EXTREMELY careful with what gets in the tank.

Oh that's something.. Perhaps a metal like lead got dropped into the tank or was lying in it for too long? Any ink pens around? Coins?

Nope, the tank is covered and in a little cubby hole thingy

TeflonTomDosh
They are illegal. Ocean pro is a really bad seller. I knew some people on an octopus forum that had some bad experiences with them. I even emailed them once and got nothing back.

My condolences, Alto.

You're an idiot (Alto however, is not). Their website clearly states

"Leafy Sea Dragon, Phycodurus eques (SHIPS FREE) TANK RAISED

[LEAFY SEAHORSE SEA HORSE] $4,850.80

Click to enlarge

TANK BORN AND RAISED

INCLUDES LEGAL PERMITS

You're basing this company's credibility on them not returning an email you sent? Was it an email about the legalities of the Leafy Sea Dragon? Cause they've been selling them since 2009. Oh and FYI, Australian Law doesn't apply in the US.

TeflonTomDosh
How about we keep this thread about me...

Ok, please see revised post. Oh, and sorry about your ponies. Hopefully this song about ponies will make you feel better.

here

How about we keep this thread about me...

:lol: A girl who knows what she wants and ain't afraid to just say it!

I don't know how you like to recover, but myself, I take a short breather. I take some time to consider what worked best and what needs refining. Truth be told, not having the responsibility of constant upkeep and care (read as: BBS hatching... :P), really helps make time to make changes to the setup and process.

Personally, I say celebrate. That little green pony was the pinnacle of awesome. It's brief foray into my existence was worth every last electron, and this thread is worth every last ascii.

You see, I don't keep ponies... I don't even keep friends... but I do keep every idea worth having, and right now... that's you.

Maybe I'll write hallmark cards for a living. :D

So what comes next?

altolamprologus
:lol: A girl who knows what she wants and ain't afraid to just say it!

I don't know how you like to recover, but myself, I take a short breather. I take some time to consider what worked best and what needs refining. Truth be told, not having the responsibility of constant upkeep and care (read as: BBS hatching... :P), really helps make time to make changes to the setup and process.

Personally, I say celebrate. That little green pony was the pinnacle of awesome. It's brief foray into my existence was worth every last electron, and this thread is worth every last ascii.

You see, I don't keep ponies... I don't even keep friends... but I do keep every idea worth having, and right now... that's you.

Maybe I'll write hallmark cards for a living. :D

So what comes next?

Honestly, I enjoy constantly having to do something for my tanks. I still hatch BBS for my NPS anyway. I do enjoy having the time off though. I've done 3 100% water changes so far and the tank is soooo clean :)

That green one is the one I'm most upset about. It was a true gem.

What's next? More ponies! I'm getting more soon and will start this whole thing all over again. I'm also going to add more macros so the tank looks even better.

altolamprologus
Any updates, alto? I'm living my "little girl wants a pony" dreams through you!

The tank is still pony-less but thankfully cyano and hair algae free. More horses are coming sometime soon and I'll be sure to post an update when they do.

lawnmowerblenny

I have a 20l with 5 adult dwarfs they are wild caught but Im no expert on seahorses I have only had them a few weeks, When they 1st arrived there were about 10 newborn baby dwarfs in the bag and they lasted about a week the tank was setup for the dwarfs with just some fake italian val and live sand & 2 big clums of chaeto. I also added 1 scarlet hermit and about 5 small netrile snails. And a big bumch of amphipods/copepods and I think that may be what killed the babies, I was pretty upset the adults are doing well I suppose they seem kinda skinny from what I can tell I've been feeding live bbs and I think they graze pods on the chaeto most of the day.

Tank Params

temp 73.5

salinity 1.019-1.024

ph?

filtration just a simple sponge filter

how often should i feed bbs?(right now maybe 1-2 time a day, i forget sometimes)

I just collect them from my 2liter breeder with a pipette and squirt the live bbs directly into the tank, they are way to small to rinse i just make sure I dont get any eggs in the water.

can you please give me a little advise or tell me if im doing anything wrong?

altolamprologus
I have a 20l with 5 adult dwarfs they are wild caught but Im no expert on seahorses I have only had them a few weeks, When they 1st arrived there were about 10 newborn baby dwarfs in the bag and they lasted about a week the tank was setup for the dwarfs with just some fake italian val and live sand & 2 big clums of chaeto. I also added 1 scarlet hermit and about 5 small netrile snails. And a big bumch of amphipods/copepods and I think that may be what killed the babies, I was pretty upset the adults are doing well I suppose they seem kinda skinny from what I can tell I've been feeding live bbs and I think they graze pods on the chaeto most of the day.

Tank Params

temp 73.5

salinity 1.019-1.024

ph?

filtration just a simple sponge filter

how often should i feed bbs?(right now maybe 1-2 time a day, i forget sometimes)

I just collect them from my 2liter breeder with a pipette and squirt the live bbs directly into the tank, they are way to small to rinse i just make sure I dont get any eggs in the water.

can you please give me a little advise or tell me if im doing anything wrong?

A 20l is much to large for just a few dwarfs unless you added massive amounts of food. The amphipods are your biggest mistake. They can and will eat dwarf seahorses. There's really no way to get rid of them except to restart the system with dry rock and new sand. Which might actually be a good thing in your case because it would be wise to get a smaller tank anyway. As for feeding, the amount of times per day you feed doesn't really matter as long as there is constantly a supply of live baby brine floating around. There should be enough bbs for a dwarf to have a few within reach at all times or they will starve (except when a constant supply if copepods is available, but that's nearly impossible in a young tank). Also I would take out the hermit. As an opportunistic feeder, you never know what it might do to such a small fish when it's hungry.

lawnmowerblenny
A 20l is much to large for just a few dwarfs unless you added massive amounts of food. The amphipods are your biggest mistake. They can and will eat dwarf seahorses. There's really no way to get rid of them except to restart the system with dry rock and new sand. Which might actually be a good thing in your case because it would be wise to get a smaller tank anyway. As for feeding, the amount of times per day you feed doesn't really matter as long as there is constantly a supply of live baby brine floating around. There should be enough bbs for a dwarf to have a few within reach at all times or they will starve (except when a constant supply if copepods is available, but that's nearly impossible in a young tank). Also I would take out the hermit. As an opportunistic feeder, you never know what it might do to such a small fish when it's hungry.

Dude thanks I have an Eco poco that's where there going. Thanks again

Archived