ReefCleaners.org

Alto's Dwarf Seahorses

altolamprologus

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus

The world would implode if I attempted to draw anything.

I want you guys to live, therefore I will not draw.

• 4 weeks later...

D'aw! I love the ponies. I'm thinking about starting to read up on them. If you had to name one thing that bugs you the most about keeping them, what would it be?

altolamprologus
D'aw! I love the ponies. I'm thinking about starting to read up on them. If you had to name one thing that bugs you the most about keeping them, what would it be?

Aiptasia. It's really difficult to prevent when using live macros (I discovered the fenbenzadole doesn't kill them). And once they're in the tank, they multiply like crazy because of the constant food supply. I'm battling them right now <_<

This may be a dumb question because I can go look it up myself, but is the need to use all sterile, dry rock only there for dwarf seahorses?

I work at an aquarium and we keep Erectus with normal live rock and have never had a problem with them, we've had them for months now. There is also a beautiful seahorse display tank with a breeding pair of some kind I'd never heard of (he got the pair for $800!!!) that also uses live rock, as well as some LPS. I'd like to think, especially because its a mega amazing wonderful LFS, that he would endanger 800 dollar seahorses if the stinging thing was such a big deal.

altolamprologus
This may be a dumb question because I can go look it up myself, but is the need to use all sterile, dry rock only there for dwarf seahorses?

I work at an aquarium and we keep Erectus with normal live rock and have never had a problem with them, we've had them for months now. There is also a beautiful seahorse display tank with a breeding pair of some kind I'd never heard of (he got the pair for $800!!!) that also uses live rock, as well as some LPS. I'd like to think, especially because its a mega amazing wonderful LFS, that he would endanger 800 dollar seahorses if the stinging thing was such a big deal.

It only applies to dwarf seahorses because they're so small that the sting from hydroids that can hitchhike on liverock can be deadly. Large seahorses aren't affected for the most part

Ah, I see. Well, kudos to you for keeping these sensitive little guys. Can you put berghias with them to help you fight your appy problem?

altolamprologus
Ah, I see. Well, kudos to you for keeping these sensitive little guys. Can you put berghias with them to help you fight your appy problem?

I definitely could if I could ever find them locally. I'm also debating putting all the ponies in a guppy breeder inside the tank and putting my peppermint shrimp in there. The only thing with that is that they would leave little bits of aiptasia that would regrow. It might be the only immediate solution though

I put one peppermint in my 29g reef tank to kill my aptasia and it did. However, it died about two months later from an unknown cause, and even afterwards I never saw an aptasia in that tank again. From what I've seen, they demolish and eat up the nems body so bad that it cant recover, let alone reproduce. I don't think they grow back, that's for sure.

altolamprologus
I put one peppermint in my 29g reef tank to kill my aptasia and it did. However, it died about two months later from an unknown cause, and even afterwards I never saw an aptasia in that tank again. From what I've seen, they demolish and eat up the nems body so bad that it cant recover, let alone reproduce. I don't think they grow back, that's for sure.

Thanks for your experience. I went ahead and got a small peppermint shrimp today. I hope he does his job quickly

I had added a couple of Peppermints to my old seahorse tank and they ate all the aptasia. I moved them to my Mantis tank and they didn't eat any of the aptasia. :(

altolamprologus
I had added a couple of Peppermints to my old seahorse tank and they ate all the aptasia. I moved them to my Mantis tank and they didn't eat any of the aptasia. :(

Damn that sucks. Mine better eat it all or he's going to be the first thing I feed to my future anglerfish.

Great shot.I cant believe they turned green for you...awesome

Thanks hype. It's only that one that's green right now. Some of my babies are showing a slight green tint though so I think she might have been the mom of the last batch of babies.

Damn that sucks. Mine better eat it all or he's going to be the first thing I feed to my future anglerfish.

I have an aptasia outbreak as well, but am worried peppermints will go after my tubastrea sun corals, so I'm looking for some burghias.

Alto, thought you might like to see this:

sea dragons for sale

euphy told me that only the wild caught peppermints eat aiptasia and the captive bred ones dont do anything. I got a wild caught one and it ate all my aiptasia, so make sure yours is wild caught.

euphy told me that only the wild caught peppermints eat aiptasia and the captive bred ones dont do anything. I got a wild caught one and it ate all my aiptasia, so make sure yours is wild caught.

No one breeds peppermints commercially, so unless you know a hobbyist who has bred them, you're not going to get a captive bred peppermint shrimp

Archived