Alto's Dwarf Seahorses

altolamprologus

altolamprologus

Start date: April 25, 2012

FTS 6/08/12

IMG_8244.jpg

FTS 4/27/12

3gallon4-27-12.jpg

I just started this tank on Wednesday with live sand and saltwater and got the rock today. It's a 3 gallon micro-reef with T5 lights and an AC20 on the lowest flow setting (intake will be covered in mesh before I add the ponies). I threw in some copepods and flake food to get some bacteria started. Hopefully the live sand helps with the cycle. If not, I may have to go get some Dr. Tim's.

Tentative stocking plans:

2-3 pairs of dwarf seahorses

Dwarf cerith snails

Caulerpa prolifera

Dragon's breath

Blue ochtodes

Gracilaria tikvahiae

Caulerpa paspaloides (maybe)

Red grape

NPS gorgonian (maybe)

Any ideas on other things to add?

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Start date: April 25, 2012

FTS 4/27/12

3gallon4-27-12.jpg

I just started this tank on Wednesday with live sand and saltwater and got the rock today. It's a 3 gallon micro-reef with T5 lights and an AC20 on the lowest flow setting (intake will be covered in mesh before I add the ponies). I threw in some copepods and flake food to get some bacteria started. Hopefully the live sand helps with the cycle. If not, I may have to go get some Dr. Tim's.

Tentative stocking plans:

2-3 pairs of dwarf seahorses

Dwarf cerith snails

Caulerpa prolifera

Dragon's breath

Blue ochtodes

Gracilaria tikvahiae

Caulerpa paspaloides (maybe)

Any ideas on other things to add?

Very cool, I've always wanted to start my own dwarf seahorse tank, but I don't have the time. Good luck with everything.

put any thought into NPS gorgonians?

altolamprologus
Covering the intake tube with a course sponge would be better than mesh. But other than that, good luck!

Ok I'll do that. I have the sponge from my biocube so I'll see if I can slice it down the center.

Very cool, I've always wanted to start my own dwarf seahorse tank, but I don't have the time. Good luck with everything.

put any thought into NPS gorgonians?

I'll see how the tank handles the nutrients from constant food first, but I really like that idea. If I can keep nutrients down I'll definitely get a small one.

Red Grape macro gives elongated lines to the tank and something taller for ponies to grab.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. I'll update the stock list

i would reccomend more than 2-3 ponies. they need to be in colonies, i would reccomend 4-6.

I'm getting 2-3 pairs (4-6 ponies) :)

Jacob042426

sorry, i read that wrong. :P

i planned a lot for a pony tank and hd everything ready, but i decided to do the pico contest instead. :)

altolamprologus
sorry, i read that wrong. :P

i planned a lot for a pony tank and hd everything ready, but i decided to do the pico contest instead. :)

I wish I was able to do this sooner and enter it into the pico contest

altolamprologus

So I was thinking I might take out one of the rocks to have more room caulerpa prolifera in the sand. Thoughts?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi,

I was thinking about the live rock, you can break it up if you want to keep the natural filtration in your tank.

Maybe the larger live rock? ;)

2004hee.jpg

altolamprologus

I'll play around with the rocks when I get home and see which one looks better whole, then I'll take a hammer to the other one. Good Idea :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Use a hammer with chisel or (large screw driver if you don't have chisel.) Aim for an angle you would like the large rock broken, make one firm hit and it will go through.

I have done a lot of aqauscaping in my time and for those spots that I needed smaller pieces, is what a reefer once taught me.

Taking a hammer straight to the source (live rock) just crumbles it!

altolamprologus
Use a hammer with chisel or (large screw driver if you don't have chisel.) Aim for an angle you would like the large rock broken, make one firm hit and it will go through.

I have done a lot of aqauscaping in my time and for those spots that I needed smaller pieces, is what a reefer once taught me.

Taking a hammer straight to the source (live rock) just crumbles it!

OK I'll use a screwdriver. I think I have one perfect for the job. Do you think the pointy side of the hammer (the part meant to remove nails) would work for breaking the rock?

altolamprologus
I see your MTS isn't getting better. :P

I know and now I want a coldwater tank too! I should probably start seeing an addiction therapist

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I know and now I want a coldwater tank too! I should probably start seeing an addiction therapist

You are a true Marine Biology BUFF! You and Yoshii have it in you! It is okay to be an addict as long as you say it's for research Mom! ;)

OK I'll use a screwdriver. I think I have one perfect for the job. Do you think the pointy side of the hammer (the part meant to remove nails) would work for breaking the rock?

If the back of your hammer looks like a pick then yes! But if it's curved like that of a set of RAM horns no!

P.S

Just at of curiosity I am reading that these dwarf seahorses like cool water... I hear Micro-Reefs might be able to help you out here.... LOL

altolamprologus
Just at of curiosity I am reading that these dwarf seahorses like cool water... I hear Micro-Reefs might be able to help you out here.... LOL

Not exactly coldwater. They prefer 68-74 degrees, which happens to be what my house stays at. They're just a couple feet away from the AC so if we get a bad heat wave I can just turn that on.

Almost all seahorses like cooler water (at least ones available to hobbyists)

Room temp is usually fine in this climate, but hmm Alto you might need something to help during summer heat waves :/

altolamprologus
Room temp is usually fine in this climate, but hmm Alto you might need something to help during summer heat waves :/

My mom would be fine with cooling the room to 76 during heat waves so they'll be alright. If it gets too hot I might go buy an iceprobe

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Yeah,

That is what I thought, 68 degrees on the lowest end, that is why I used the word, "Cool" and not "Cold"...

Reason I ask is that we have a surprise coming forward regarding DWARF SEAHORSES AND MICRO-REEFS...

:)

altolamprologus
Yeah,

That is what I thought, 68 degrees on the lowest end, that is why I used the word, "Cool" and not "Cold"...

Reason I ask is that we have a surprise coming forward regarding DWARF SEAHORSES AND MICRO-REEFS...

:)

Ooohh tell me! A dwarf seahorse tank package? Use my tank as an example k?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Ooohh tell me! A dwarf seahorse tank package? Use my tank as an example k?

PM sent! fingerscrossed

Euphyllia

I officially hate you now. <_<

I tried a dwarf seahorse tank a while back. It was ace, but the light crapped out, the caulerpa went sexual and it made the tank like baba. You should do some of the illegal stuff, try caulerpa taxifolia. It looks much nicer than that prolifer rubbish, unless you're cabbage! Just don't let the police get your dabs, that would make you a daftie! I'm becoming an ear bash, aren't I?

Did you just see how many British slang terms I fit into there? That has to be some kind of record... :unsure:

Archived