inTank Media Baskets

Alto's Dwarf Seahorses

altolamprologus

Whoops! I totally forgot ORA! I was just thinking I've never seen ORA peppermints, didn't bother checking their website :lol:

LOL totally understandable. I get the impression they are not a big seller because they're pretty frakking useless, unless of course you want something to eat a few coral polyps here and there. :D

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are they even still breeding those? I just did a quick search and can't find them for sale online anywhere.

Not sure. I'd say no because of lack of demand (should be), but there are always plenty of LFS willing to pawn crap on n00bs. But then again they can pawn cheaper wild caught California Lysmata on them just as easily...

altolamprologus
I think it's just the lighting?

ORA has them listed as Lysmata spp. The "spp" means more than one species of the same genus, therefore not all (if any) are peppermints. And since only peppermints eat aiptasia, the rest are useless for this purpose.

I have an aptasia outbreak as well, but am worried peppermints will go after my tubastrea sun corals, so I'm looking for some burghias.

Alto, thought you might like to see this:

sea dragons for sale

I was always under the impression that sea dragons were on the endangered species list, or just were illegal to be sold in general

Is that only certain 1's or only wild caught or what?

altolamprologus

So sad news guys, the tank crashed sometime last night and I found all the seahorses dead this morning. The only possible thing I can think of is lotion from my hands got into the tank and killed them. Other than that, I have no clue how they could have died

I was always under the impression that sea dragons were on the endangered species list, or just were illegal to be sold in general

I think they might be considered endangered, but so are all stony corals. They can still be imported and sold with the right permits

sea dragons for sale

Omg don't even tempt me. I'm getting a pair one day

Those aren't peppermints. ORA doesn't even know what species they are

Umm, or...

"Peppermint" is a common name that is generally applied to several species of genus Lysmata including those of the wurdemanni complex, a grouping which includes several species. Of these, I believe 2-3 are known to eat Aiptasia. Some better than others. The ORA species definitely falls within this broader category of "Peppermint Shrimp", just unfortunately either not one of the solid Aiptasia-eating species, or, perhaps something environmental makes them less than optimal in that role. For an example of another apparently "good" Peppermint that isn't wurdemanni proper, see Lysmata seticaudata @ LiveAquaria: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...amp;pcatid=3190

Edit: Also, sorry about the seahorses. :(

So sad news guys, the tank crashed sometime last night and I found all the seahorses dead this morning. The only possible thing I can think of is lotion from my hands got into the tank and killed them. Other than that, I have no clue how they could have died

It could have been a multitude of things. Don't blame yourself cause you don't know for sure if that was the case.

LiveAquaria posted captive bred Peppermint Shrimp recently in their Diver's Den section, so it shouldn't be unheard of. Or maybe I glanced at it too quickly, but I know it caught me by surprise.

euphy told me that only the wild caught peppermints eat aiptasia and the captive bred ones dont do anything. I got a wild caught one and it ate all my aiptasia, so make sure yours is wild caught.

Aww. You memberd. :wub:

I think they might be considered endangered, but so are all stony corals. They can still be imported and sold with the right permits

Nooooz! How are you so calm after you kill a bunch of seahorses your seahorses die? I would be bawling. :tears:

That sucks. If I had dwarf seahorses I would give you a few for free to seed a new colony. :tears:

Soo sorrryyyyy. :(

So sorry to hear this Alto. Trials and tribulation...life goes on. Say the word and I will send you two asap, im serious.

These sea dragons are AQUACULTURED!!!!!! That is ground breaking.

altolamprologus
Oh no! I'm so sad now :( I came back to check, saw there was a comment and then now im sad at the end :( are you gonna get more?

Yes I will get more, though I can't say exactly when.

So sorry to hear this Alto. Trials and tribulation...life goes on. Say the word and I will send you two asap, im serious.

You're about to get a PM

These sea dragons are AQUACULTURED!!!!!! That is ground breaking.

I saw that part! That's truly amazing :)

Honestly wtf?

+1 totally ####ing uncalled for

There aren't words. I'm so sorry. =( Hope to see your tank back up soon!!! You are truly an inspiration.

At least now you can try some kind of peppermint to get rid of those appys before you get your new batch, right?

altolamprologus
At least now you can try some kind of peppermint to get rid of those appys before you get your new batch, right?

Yeah there's actually a peppermint shrimp in there now and I removed a bunch manually today

sea dragons for sale

They are illegal. Ocean pro is a really bad seller. I knew some people on an octopus forum that had some bad experiences with them. I even emailed them once and got nothing back.

My condolences, Alto.

They are illegal. Ocean pro is a really bad seller. I knew some people on an octopus forum that had some bad experiences with them. I even emailed them once and got nothing back.

My condolences, Alto.

You can get them but you need a permit. There was a guy on either RC or seahorse .org who had a pair of them. Not sure if he was in the US but he was doing it right. I'll see if I can find that thread.

Ok fine he was in Hong Kong but still:

http://forum.seahorse.org/index.php?showtopic=26280

(Not sure if you need an account to view that thread)

Sorry to hear alto. As sad as it is, look at this as an opportunity. Atleast it wasn't a reef system worth hundreds or thousands of dollars. I say start over with a new scape, blast away any hint of algae, get the pesky aiptasia (and pesky peppermint) out, and enjoy your set up once again.

Goodluck!

Archived