Cultivated Reef

Alto's Dwarf Seahorses

altolamprologus

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Very interesting set of new regulations regarding the Dwarf Seahorse. Micro-Reefs and it's associates will honor and obey all laws governed for the protection of these tiny creatures of the sea.

We will await the hearing and move effortlessly and expeditiously to stay in compliance of such a ruling.

Sincerely,

Mike Guerrero

CEO / Founder

Micro-Reefs LLC

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
I plan on adding snails and I realized the same issue. What I have read has suggested exactly what you said, just holding them and scrubbing their shells really well. They didn't say it had to be with vinegar though. I bet just saltwater or freshwater would work since what would remove the hydroids is the scrubbing. I probably won't use dwarf ceriths since they're so tiny that scrubbing will be a huge pain. I plan on adding a few of the slightly larger Florida ceriths, a couple nassarius, a couple virgin nerites, and possibly a couple zig-zag periwinkles.

Ok maybe just scrubbing would be ok. Can you tell I'm a bit paranoid? lol I just though of dwarf ceriths because that's what I have right now, but maybe I'll put in an order with reefcleaners and get the ones you listed too. My other tanks could use some new snails anyway.

I saw a pseudochromis (I think... it was pink a yellow, I call it a pink flopper because when I was little I would go to the LFS with my dad and he would poke the fish bowls with the pink floppers in them and they would jump out of the bowl onto the floor and we laughed... it was mean) with some dwarfs in a YouTube video.

I don't doubt people have put other fish with dwarfs. But since dwarfs have such specific care requirements-and a bunch of fish would love to eat baby dwarfs-I personally would never put any fish with them.

altolamprologus

Revisiting the hydrogen peroxide dip for killing hydroids:

After seeing no result from the previous dip, I decided to do it again, this time with pure 3% peroxide. I dipped one piece of Titan algae for 5 seconds, one piece for 15 seconds, and one piece for 30 seconds.

Results: All three pieces still have hydroids alive on them. The two pieces dipped for the shortest amount of time are alive and intact, while the one dipped for 30 seconds has a dead patch that seems to be slowly spreading.

Conclusion: I will revisit this with longer dip times and different dilutions, but I think it is safe to say that any amount of peroxide that will kill the hydroids will also kill the algae.

Sorry, what I meant to say is that the liquid will absorb then leach, same as the granules. The reason it's okay to treat a dwarf tank with it is because the amount that leaches out is much more dilute and the seahorses and a few other things can handle it. Unfortunately, I can't make those kind of assumptions in my endeavors. Even if it didn't kill the larvae, it could potentially inhibit their settlement, and I would never know exactly why. So not acceptable for me, but I'm not doing dwarfs.

Perfectly acceptable for dwarfs, I'm sure, but it does still strike me as planing for failure. Wouldn't it be better to keep the system hydroid free, than to pretty much intentionally introduce them then sterilize?

I finally finished the sterilization process myself today. Not fun. But oh... the next time it will be. :D

Ok maybe just scrubbing would be ok. Can you tell I'm a bit paranoid? lol I just though of dwarf ceriths because that's what I have right now, but maybe I'll put in an order with reefcleaners and get the ones you listed too. My other tanks could use some new snails anyway.

:lol: That's ok. The more I read about the dwarfs the more paranoid I get too. I just don't think hydroids attach that strongly that a good thorough scrub wouldn't completely remove them. I have some dwarf ceriths too, but I figured trying to really scrub those guys would be incredibly hard. I figured a few slightly bigger snails would be a better approach so I added those to my ReefCleaners order when I ordered some macros.

And thanks for all the info on the peroxide dip experiments! Sounds like its definitely not going to kill the hydroids before killing the macros. This just goes to show how a lot of the information out there about aquarium stuff can be pretty inaccurate. I saw the peroxide dip info on World of Seahorse which seems to be written by a pretty knowledgeable person who has kept and bred dwarf seahorses. I'm glad you tested that out instead of us deciding to just trust the info!

Oh, and Whys, I totally agree with your feelings on that. It does seem like it would still leach and I'd much rather do everything I can to prevent hydroids from ever getting in the tank to begin with than trying to treat the whole tank. I just figured I'd share what Seahorse Source said since they're an aquaculture facility and probably have a ton of insight into the best ways to set up a tank for dwarfs :)

:) Don't ever think that just because I disagree, that I don't appreciate what you've said. I appreciate all food for thought, and wouldn't reply otherwise. :)
:) Don't ever think that just because I disagree, that I don't appreciate what you've said. I appreciate all food for thought, and wouldn't reply otherwise. :)

:)

altolamprologus

Some quick updates:

The algae are in and looking great. They do not seem to be affected by the fen or the cold temps.

I added the smallest heater I have (meant for 2-5 gallon tanks) and it heats the tank up to 78 so I took it offline. I may try the hagen 25 watt if that works for flsvedlund

The tank brings ammonia from 2 ppm to zero in about 36 hours so the horses are coming soon :D

Fenbenzadole bath procedure for anyone interested:

1. Mix tankwater with fen at 0.2 cc per 10 gallons in a separate container. I used 1/4 gallon and estimated the amount of fen using a syringe.

2. Set container in a place where it will not be spilled or touched by pets or children

3. Replace water/fen mixture everyday

4. After 3 full days, rinse the algae well with RO/DI water and place them in the tank. There is no need to acclimate algae

note: The container used for the fen bath can't be reused for anything except fen baths. It will continue to leach fen forever

The algae are in and looking great. They do not seem to be affected by the fen or the cold temps.

Good to know! My fenbendazole and the last of my macros will be arriving the middle of next week, so I'll have to get the details on exactly what you did and start my treatment soon.

I added the smallest heater I have (meant for 2-5 gallon tanks) and it heats the tank up to 78 so I took it offline. I may try the hagen 25 watt if that works for flsvedlund

Yeah that is the issue with all the tiny heaters. Most of them are preset for 78F and you can't change it. The only ones I really saw that are adjustable are the EHEIM Jager (which is huge), the Hagen I ordered, and the 25W Hydor Theo (which gets really mixed reviews about reliability). I'll let you know how the Hagen I ordered works out.

The tank brings ammonia from 2 ppm to zero in about 36 hours so the horses are coming soon :D

Exciting! :happydance:

altolamprologus
Controller? Seems a bit much, but they're reliable.

Looking forward to pics!

A controller for all my tanks is on my wishlist. But right now I only work one day a week and a controller is my entire months pay. It'll happen eventually

You know what we need in this hobby that I am yet to see unattached to a 200 dollar controller? Back when I raised leopard geckos I had my UTH hooked up to a temp probe that had two outlets. When it got to a certain temperature, it killed the switch for the UTH. Only like 10 bucks, but wasn't water proof.

On another note: I can't wait to see some seahorses in your tank.

A controller for all my tanks is on my wishlist. But right now I only work one day a week and a controller is my entire months pay. It'll happen eventually

Maybe one of these? :D

3051e1f752e406a6522b40add983.jpg

Just wrap the probe with saran wrap. :)

Thanks for posting the info on the fen bath! I think we need a picture soon of your algaes all aquascaped in the tank :)

altolamprologus
Maybe one of these? :D

3051e1f752e406a6522b40add983.jpg

Just wrap the probe with saran wrap. :)

I should get that! Thanks for posting it

Thanks for posting the info on the fen bath! I think we need a picture soon of your algaes all aquascaped in the tank :)

No problem. I'll get a pic later, but it doesn't look like much. I just used tiny pieces of algae to make sure they could survive the bath before risking bigger pieces.

Jacob042426

Do you really even need a heater? Dwarfs like colder temps. I even run my 3 gal reef without a heater and everything is great!

Do you really even need a heater? Dwarfs like colder temps. I even run my 3 gal reef without a heater and everything is great!

Its not for the dwarfs, its for the macros. Macros do best in the mid 70's to 80, so we want to heat the tanks to 74-75F which is the optimal temperature for dwarfs anyway according to all the reputable sources I've seen.

:) This is for taking me seriously: Dwarf Seahorse Temperature Controller

All others take note. <_<

Nice! Thanks for that! I'll have to look into getting one of those :)

altolamprologus

3galFTS06-01-12-1.jpg

Here's the tank as of today. I know, so much to look at. Anyway, tomorrow I will start a new fen bath with a whole bunch of macros so I can really fill up the tank and it can start to look good. I refuse to let my ponies have an ugly tank!

At least it changed a bit :) It's nice to see the macros look healthy after their fen bath. I agree that the seahorses need a pretty tank. I'm hoping for a nice multicolored lush macro forest look :)

Oh I wanted to ask you...adding some sponges might be fun because Sealife Inc has some great bright yellow and red ones that I've been admiring in Gena's macro tank. I'm not sure how those could be treated for hydroids though. I'm guessing they wouldn't survive a 3 day fen bath. Any ideas?

altolamprologus
At least it changed a bit :) It's nice to see the macros look healthy after their fen bath. I agree that the seahorses need a pretty tank. I'm hoping for a nice multicolored lush macro forest look :)

Oh I wanted to ask you...adding some sponges might be fun because Sealife Inc has some great bright yellow and red ones that I've been admiring in Gena's macro tank. I'm not sure how those could be treated for hydroids though. I'm guessing they wouldn't survive a 3 day fen bath. Any ideas?

If they aren't attached to a rock I don't think it will be problem. But if it's attached to a rock maybe you could just scrub the rock under water like you would a snail shell and hope for the best. But sponges need high flow to survive, which the opposite of what you want in a dwarf tank so idk if they would live.

here are a couple of pictures of my yellow dwarfs. They just had 2 babies. Last pic is one of the new babies.

dwarf3h.jpg

dwarf4.jpg

babydwarf4.jpg

altolamprologus

I have a whole bunch of macros being dipped right now. A huge piece of red grape, more codium, halimeda, blue ochtodes, and an unidentified pretty magenta algae. I also have some green gracilaria and snails coming from reefcleaners next week.

I will tentatively be ordering the horses on Tuesday for arrival Wednesday omgomgomg

Archived