Innovative Marine Aquariums

Alto's Dwarf Seahorses

altolamprologus

altolamprologus
cant wait to see the progress

Thanks, I'm hoping to have something you can actually see soon :)

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
So have you started artemia cultures yet? :D

Pssh I've been hatching brine and growing them to adulthood for months. I think I have my system of hatching and enrichment down now

Thanks! I've been wanting to do dwarf seahorses for a while now and I just bought a jbj picotope for my desk, so when I saw your thread I decided I had to try a macroalgae and dwarf seahorses tank. :)

I'm curious, do you plan to treat the whole tank with the fenbendazole? I'm using dry rock (never live) but I'm not sure what to do about the live sand. I know I can just dip the macros in it when I get them, but I'm not sure if I can treat the whole tank since there would always be residual in the system which can kill snails.

altolamprologus
Looking forward to pics alto. Ill check back in a week or two :)

I'll try not to disappoint you. I'll get plenty of pics and vids once I stocking the tank :)

Thanks! I've been wanting to do dwarf seahorses for a while now and I just bought a jbj picotope for my desk, so when I saw your thread I decided I had to try a macroalgae and dwarf seahorses tank. :)

I'm curious, do you plan to treat the whole tank with the fenbendazole? I'm using dry rock (never live) but I'm not sure what to do about the live sand. I know I can just dip the macros in it when I get them, but I'm not sure if I can treat the whole tank since there would always be residual in the system which can kill snails.

I'm not going to treat the whole tank, just because I want the option of using the rock, sand, tank, and equipment for inverts in the future and fenbenzadole literally leaches out of everything forever. I have read that a 3 day bath in a fenbenzadole solution will completely kill all hydroids while not killing the algae. I'm going to do a trial run with hydroid covered algae before I use it on the algae I'm going to put in the tank just to see for myself how well it actually works.

Interesting factoid...

My dad, when he was growing up, order a dwarf seahorse kit from a magazine. They sent him like five dwarf seahorses and some brine shrimp to hatch for them, along with a packet of salt. He said he just filled a bowl with tap water (this was in the 60s or 70s) and dumped the salt mix in, then added the seahorses. He said they gave birth to more and more until he eventually got rid of them. He dumped brine shrimp eggs into the tank and they ate the artemia that hatched. Moral of the story is that these guys are so hardy that a 10 year old can breed them in treated tap water lol.

On a side note, are these guys fish or inverts? n00b15h qu35t10n, 1 kn0w... :(

altolamprologus

Thanks basser, they are indeed fish. Weird, bony-plated fish :D

Euphy-I've read other storied like that of people who ordered them out of magazines and kept them alive and thriving. It gives me a bit of confidence that I'll be able to keep a thriving population for years :)

Owow... I wouldn't quite call them a fish.

Euphy-I've read other storied like that of people who ordered them out of magazines and kept them alive and thriving. It gives me a bit of confidence that I'll be able to keep a thriving population for years :)

Yeah, true chizz.

LOL!

I remember seeing them for sale in the back of comic books!

I'm not going to treat the whole tank, just because I want the option of using the rock, sand, tank, and equipment for inverts in the future and fenbenzadole literally leaches out of everything forever. I have read that a 3 day bath in a fenbenzadole solution will completely kill all hydroids while not killing the algae. I'm going to do a trial run with hydroid covered algae before I use it on the algae I'm going to put in the tank just to see for myself how well it actually works.

Yeah, I don't want to treat the whole tank either since I read it will leach out of everything forever. I'd like to be able to re-use things down the road if needed.

So you're just not worrying about the live sand then? I read it can have hydroids as well, but there's no way to get it to stop leaching fenbenzadole once its treated. Let me know how the 3 day bath goes. I was considering just dipping the macros in fenbenzadole in salt water for a few hours.

altolamprologus
Yeah, I don't want to treat the whole tank either since I read it will leach out of everything forever. I'd like to be able to re-use things down the road if needed.

So you're just not worrying about the live sand then? I read it can have hydroids as well, but there's no way to get it to stop leaching fenbenzadole once its treated. Let me know how the 3 day bath goes. I was considering just dipping the macros in fenbenzadole in salt water for a few hours.

The live sand that comes in bags is really nothing more than some sand with water and bacteria added. The seahorse forums I've been reading all say that it's not a risk and is perfectly acceptable to use for dwarfs.

Unfortunately a few hours won't cut it. Hydroids are really tough to kill and I think they need the entire 3 days to die. I wouldn't risk doing anything shorter than that.

The live sand that comes in bags is really nothing more than some sand with water and bacteria added. The seahorse forums I've been reading all say that it's not a risk and is perfectly acceptable to use for dwarfs.

Unfortunately a few hours won't cut it. Hydroids are really tough to kill and I think they need the entire 3 days to die. I wouldn't risk doing anything shorter than that.

Good to know! Thanks! I was still in the process of researching how to get rid of the hydroids on macros and one site on seahorses said a 30 min fresh water dip would be enough. I read that and was like "Yeah right." I didn't realize it would take a full 3 days though. I guess I'll set up a bucket with saltwater and a powerhead and put all the macros in that with the fenbendazole and let them soak for 3 days.

This remains true so long as the sand is new. I'm curious, if your system were to become infected at some later date, how would you deal with the sand then? Would you just replace it?

I wonder if fenbendazole leaches out of flesh. :D

I saw you typing this :happydance:

Wow I didn't know hydroids were so hard to kill :eek:

Do you know a way to kill ones that are already on LR, without killing other stuff on the rock?

btw, yellow goatfish. I'll let you go cry in a corner now

altolamprologus
Good to know! Thanks! I was still in the process of researching how to get rid of the hydroids on macros and one site on seahorses said a 30 min fresh water dip would be enough. I read that and was like "Yeah right." I didn't realize it would take a full 3 days though. I guess I'll set up a bucket with saltwater and a powerhead and put all the macros in that with the fenbendazole and let them soak for 3 days.

I'm curious as to who said that a freshwater dip would be enough. Several reputable sources have said freshwater will kill the algae before it kills the hydroids.

This remains true so long as the sand is new. I'm curious, if your system were to become infected at some later date, how would you deal with the sand then? Would you just replace it?

I wonder if fenbendazole leaches out of flesh. :D

Well I'm taking every precaution to ensure it won't become infected. I have a separate net (don't worry, I know not to net the actual seahorses), separate equipment, separate everything. The only way they're getting in there is if they fly through the air. But if it does become infected, I'll be replacing all the sand and rock and giving the tank and equipment a vinegar bath. Let's hope it never comes to that.

As creepy as that is, it would probably leach out of flesh until the body rids itself of the medicine.

I saw you typing this :happydance:

Creep :unsure:

Wow I didn't know hydroids were so hard to kill :eek:

Do you know a way to kill ones that are already on LR, without killing other stuff on the rock?

Hydroid-eating nudibranch :D Other than that, no :(

btw, yellow goatfish. I'll let you go cry in a corner now

Damnit....I'm gonna go cry now. Think I could fit a baby in this tank for a little while? :D

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Wow,

I have heard so much evilness about Hydroids, they should have a thread all to themselves, or maybe a website, called www.WAMHyroids.com

Would read, we are mean hydroids .com :)

altolamprologus
Wow,

I have heard so much evilness about Hydroids, they should have a thread all to themselves, or maybe a website, called www.WAMHyroids.com

Would read, we are mean hydroids .com :)

Lol yeah they are pretty evil, at least when it comes to tiny seahorses. After I start doing fenbenzadole baths on the macro algae, I'll make a thread on how to do it.

altolamprologus
Good luck with the finbedazzle. Post pics daily so we can see it at work! :happy:

I don't have a camera...There's not much to see anyway. The fenbendadole is just a precaution. I won't be using any algae that actually has hydroids on it.

Well I'm taking every precaution to ensure it won't become infected. I have a separate net (don't worry, I know not to net the actual seahorses), separate equipment, separate everything. The only way they're getting in there is if they fly through the air. But if it does become infected, I'll be replacing all the sand and rock and giving the tank and equipment a vinegar bath. Let's hope it never comes to that.

Oh, I can't critique your methodology. I've never done dwarf seahorse before and only know what little I do because of their similarities to my own breeding project. To that end, I'm following this thread to learn from you.

As you probably already know, my kreisel is currently infected with colonial hydroids. Today I start ripping it apart to sterilize and wanted to know your thoughts first. I'll also be using vinegar and replacing the sand. I know others have recommended iodine, but I haven't actually looked into that yet.

Hydroid-eating nudibranch...

Do you have a specific name? I'm curious to know if it's a true nudibranch or a kind of sea slug.

altolamprologus
Oh, I can't critique your methodology. I've never done dwarf seahorse before and only know what little I do because of their similarities to my own breeding project. To that end, I'm following this thread to learn from you.

As you probably already know, my kreisel is currently infected with colonial hydroids. Today I start ripping it apart to sterilize and wanted to know your thoughts first. I'll also be using vinegar and replacing the sand. I know others have recommended iodine, but I haven't actually looked into that yet.

I read that on your thread, sorry to hear. IMO you're approaching it the right way. New bagged sand and some new dry rock (if you're going to use rock) will ensure that they will be hydroid-free after the tank is sterilized. I've never heard of using iodine to combat hydroids, but running the tank with 50/50 vinegar/water for a couple days will completely sterilize it.

Let me know if you find any more info on using iodine. I'm curious to know if that will actually work.

Do you have a specific name? I'm curious to know if it's a true nudibranch or a kind of sea slug.

Pteraeolidia ianthina is the only nudi I know of that eats hydroids, though I've never seen them for sale.

Archived