Coral Vue Hydros

Alto's Dwarf Seahorses

altolamprologus

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not adding anything until I get fenbenzadole to dip them in. And my angler tank is a dwarf seahorse deathtrap. Besides the obvious fish-eating angler, there's hydroids and hungry NPS corals in there.

Can I have your hydroids? I like them.

altolamprologus
Hello! I share your challenges with regards to hydroids. As with many others, you mention fenbendazole (aka: Panacur). I'm curious if you've looked into any of the related alternatives, specifically: flubendazole and levamisole?

There seems to be some concensus that Flatworm-Exit is most likely a dewormer, tho it's uncertain if it's flubendazole, levamisole, or something else in the same family. I recently came across a sketchy account of someone solving hydroids in their dwarf tank using FWE, but suspect it only killed the medusa, if that. Have you ever used FWE in your dwarf tank and if so have you noticed any impact on the hydroids?

I haven't looked into those because I have an easy and cheap source for fenbenzadole (seahorsesource.com), but in all the researhc I"ve done, I haven't read one mention of those products so I'm not sure they're effective. I've never used flatworm exit ever lol. But I wouldn't trust it to kill hydroids. That's not something I want to mess around with so I'd rather use what's already proven to be 100% effective. It would be interesting to see the result if someone tests it.

Ooh I really like the new scape! :)

Thanks, I really like it too. I ended up taking out about a pound of rock, but that still leaves 2.5 pounds of rock (when dry).

Really? Lol I have the tiny white ones that produce little white medusa. If you really want them I can send you some macro algae with them.

Really? Lol I have the tiny white ones that produce little white medusa. If you really want them I can send you some macro algae with them.

Or this! :D

IMG_4410.jpg

I wish someone would just take it!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

IMG_4410.jpg

Yoshii,

Is that the elusive hydroids? :o

Yoshii,

Is that the elusive hydroids? :o

Oh it's just this giant, evil unIDed hydroid colony at Atlantis, not the ones you commonly find in tanks :P

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

You mean these little tiny polyps kill the little horses? The dwarf horses?

Alto, I have to admit that I am actually jealous that your tank is up. :/ I can't wait to pay my car off and get up and going!!!

You mean these little tiny polyps kill the little horses? The dwarf horses?

Yep, they sting the larger seahorses too

IMG_4410.jpg

Holy $hit.

That's a hydroid!?

I bet the LFS is selling it for like $50

Holy $hit.

That's a hydroid!?

I bet the LFS is selling it for like $50

Lol no, they just want to get rid of it

altolamprologus
I really like the new scape! Makes that tank look much bigger than it is. :D

Thanks :) I'm hoping to get some macro algae in there soon so it actually starts looking like something!

Alto, I have to admit that I am actually jealous that your tank is up. :/ I can't wait to pay my car off and get up and going!!!

How long until your car is paid off?

I only have 800 more dollars, but being that I just switched jobs, they are holding my payback 2 pay periods , which is a month. Literally every dime im getting is going towards it for now :/. On the plus side though, I'm trying to talk my girlfriend into getting me a nice little b day present from micro reefs.

Their tank, filter, and light, plus he said he will exchange the live rock for dry rock, is only 20 dollars more than just the light I was going to get for the macros.

I don't think she wants me to keep another tank, so I keep showing her pictures of the horses because she's a sucker for cute things :)

altolamprologus
If you were to get a small NPS coral, what would it be? (Carrot Coral doesn't count!)

Aww man but I want a carrot coral! Umm...NPS gorgs, chilli coral, carnation, flower tree

altolamprologus
I only have 800 more dollars, but being that I just switched jobs, they are holding my payback 2 pay periods , which is a month. Literally every dime im getting is going towards it for now :/. On the plus side though, I'm trying to talk my girlfriend into getting me a nice little b day present from micro reefs.

Their tank, filter, and light, plus he said he will exchange the live rock for dry rock, is only 20 dollars more than just the light I was going to get for the macros.

I don't think she wants me to keep another tank, so I keep showing her pictures of the horses because she's a sucker for cute things :)

Man that sucks. That would be cool if your gf got you the tank though. Just keep showing her pics of the dwarfs and she'll come around eventually. There's some pics out there of someone holding a baby dwarf on his fingertip. I showed that to my mom to get her to let my have another tank :lol:

altolamprologus
Thats a sweet scape alto. What is the eta for the seahorses?

I'm hoping within 4 weeks. I still have to get the cycle going. I threw in some flake food and copepods, but I want to get some Dr. Tim's to make sure the biological filtration is up to par. I think I'll go order that right now...

altolamprologus

Just ordered a bottle of Dr. Tim's one and only and some ammonium chloride. It should be here by the end of the week :)

Euphyllia
Just ordered a bottle of Dr. Tim's one and only and some ammonium chloride. It should be here by the end of the week :)

'Splain? :huh:

altolamprologus
'Splain? :huh:

It's nitrifying bacteria in a bottle that you add to a tank started with dry rock to provide the beneficial bacteria. And the ammonium chloride is the source of ammonia that kick starts the cycle.

Euphyllia
It's nitrifying bacteria in a bottle that you add to a tank started with dry rock to provide the beneficial bacteria. And the ammonium chloride is the source of ammonia that kick starts the cycle.

Oh yay! Wait, doesn't like Red Sea or something sell bacteria in a bottle to help start cycles? It comes in like a purple bottle that's really wide but skinny.

Can't wait until you get some dwarf seahorses! I was watching TV last night and there were these people and they said that dwarf is the scientific term, but they prefer to be called little. So I think you should call your dwarf seahorses "little seahorses". :D

altolamprologus
Oh yay! Wait, doesn't like Red Sea or something sell bacteria in a bottle to help start cycles? It comes in like a purple bottle that's really wide but skinny.

Can't wait until you get some dwarf seahorses! I was watching TV last night and there were these people and they said that dwarf is the scientific term, but they prefer to be called little. So I think you should call your dwarf seahorses "little seahorses". :D

Idk I just got Dr. Tim's because it has really good reviews and a lot of people on here have used it.

Lol I would, but I'm a big believer in scientific terms :P

I haven't looked into those because I have an easy and cheap source for fenbenzadole (seahorsesource.com), but in all the researhc I"ve done, I haven't read one mention of those products so I'm not sure they're effective. I've never used flatworm exit ever lol. But I wouldn't trust it to kill hydroids. That's not something I want to mess around with so I'd rather use what's already proven to be 100% effective. It would be interesting to see the result if someone tests it.

Flubendazole has only recently begun to find favor, as it has many of the same properties as fenbendazole, but doesn't seem to absorb into, then leach out from, rock and glass as badly. It's still a dewormer tho, so carries a lot of the same risks. Very little is known about levamisole in a marine tank, but it's in the same family. There are quite a few chemically unique dewomers available it seems, all of which have real potential for use as reef friendlier alternatives to fenbendazole.

The only real intersection with flatworm-exit is that it too is suspected of being a dewormer, possibly levamisole, but maybe not. So it not out side the realm of possibility that FWE might be of some use in treating hydroids, but I can't find enough evidence to support it.

Greater experimentation with dewomer alternatives in general seems worthwhile, what ever the case. A reef safe alternative for eradicating hydroids would revolutionize the marine breeding hobby, don't you think?

Anyway, that's all I got to work with at the moment, but I thank you for your reply and will continue to follow this thread. Good luck!

Archived