Innovative Marine Aquariums

Alto's Dwarf Seahorses

altolamprologus

Keep[ in mind dwarf seahorses are really prolific, so you're going to have to find them a home quickly.

They mate like once a months and give out around 15 babies every couple weeks.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Euphyllia
Keep[ in mind dwarf seahorses are really prolific, so you're going to have to find them a home quickly.

*cough*AHEM*cough*

:flower:

EDIT: Like seriously though...

altolamprologus

Don't worry, I'm sure I can find them homes...or set up another tank. I already one guy waiting on some babies and the tank isn't even cycled yet!

@euphy: I don't publicly break laws so no taxifolia. I thought you were getting rid of tanks, not setting more up. :huh:

Euphyllia
@euphy: I don't publicly break laws so no taxifolia. I thought you were getting rid of tanks, not setting more up. :huh:

People that do marijuana publicly break laws and they don't go to jail? :huh:

altolamprologus
People that do marijuana publicly break laws and they don't go to jail? :huh:

Lol Euphy this is Cali, no one cares about that. Plus they probably have club cards so it's legal.

Enough illegal talk on this thread. I would like to keep this one clutter-free if possible :)

Well, by the end of the summer I expect to have some dwarfs, so I'm following along. Too bad you're a bit far for me to buy your babies.

altolamprologus
Well, by the end of the summer I expect to have some dwarfs, so I'm following along. Too bad you're a bit far for me to buy your babies.

How far away are you? Dwarfs are hardy enough to survive priority shipping :)

I was going to add some outrageous comment about you having my babies, but I think I'll keep that to myself.

altolamprologus
Haha. In east end long island. Maybe it may work?

I'll give you a discount for being my guinea pig. Seriously though, a lot of online dwarf sellers offer priority mail shipping, but no arrive alive guarantee. It must work most of the time though or they wouldn't offer it.

I'm jealous. I have always wanted a dwarf seahorse tank. I would set up another tank for some but I just got the go ahead for a 5.5 but it's going to be a mixed reef setup. I'm definitely following this build though.

I'll give you a discount for being my guinea pig. Seriously though, a lot of online dwarf sellers offer priority mail shipping, but no arrive alive guarantee. It must work most of the time though or they wouldn't offer it.

Sounds good then. :) we can pm when that time comes.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I'm jealous. I have always wanted a dwarf seahorse tank. I would set up another tank for some but I just got the go ahead for a 5.5 but it's going to be a mixed reef setup. I'm definitely following this build though.

Ahh,

Another sign that Micro-Reefs is up to another ecosystem! We love ecosystems and we have something really nice coming around!

Can't say much more than that, until it goes through! ;)

Alto, I was wondering if you had any luck finding any cooler water corals? I have one coral that I think would do okay In The temperature,perfect for hitching, is non photosynthetic, but it is an that may irritate them, along with the fact that it is encrusted on a rock that has hydroids :/

Mike, do you know of any?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Alto, I was wondering if you had any luck finding any cooler water corals? I have one coral that I think would do okay In The temperature,perfect for hitching, is non photosynthetic, but it is an that may irritate them, along with the fact that it is encrusted on a rock that has hydroids :/

Mike, do you know of any?

Which coral are you referring to? And what temps are you discussing? We are engaging a new ecosystem running at 68 degrees solid!

I was planning to run somewhere between 70 or 72, depending on if it'll make or break putting a piece of macro in. I have a hidden cup coral that I thought my or may not work.

9167196a.jpg

altolamprologus

Don't put that in with them. It'll sting and eat them. Large polyp NPS corals pack a nasty punch for dwarfs. As a general rule, corals are a huge no-no. A few, such as actinodicsus mushrooms and gorgs are safe, but anything that goes into a dwarf tank needs to bathed in fenbanzadole to kill hydroids, which also kills a lot of corals.

Right now I'm working on trying to find a subtropical gorg for mine. I'm going to contact a few suppliers so I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks alto. Yeah, I just wasn't sure if it was possible. It's very branchy which is nice, but I was never able to find ANY information on the internet about it since It is not really allowed in the aquarium trade.

You wouldn't think so, but it is a lot harder to find gorg/ Acro skeletons than you would think.

altolamprologus
Thanks alto. Yeah, I just wasn't sure if it was possible. It's very branchy which is nice, but I was never able to find ANY information on the internet about it since It is not really allowed in the aquarium trade.

You wouldn't think so, but it is a lot harder to find gorg/ Acro skeletons than you would think.

Just get macro lagae for them hitch on. Caulerpa, red grape and gracilaria are all really good hitching posts

Euphyllia
Here's the new, and probably permanent, scape

3gallon4-28-12.jpg

Oooh, looks like a cove. Like that show The Cove. Good show, good show. B)

I like it, but you need to add some macros from your angler tank. Your angler tank is like the perfect dwarf seahorse tank despite the size.

OMG best idea ever... The first living organism in there should be a yellow sponge as long as it has no other corals on the rock. Just break the part with the sponge off if that's the case I guess? ;) ;)

altolamprologus
Oooh, looks like a cove. Like that show The Cove. Good show, good show. B)

I like it, but you need to add some macros from your angler tank. Your angler tank is like the perfect dwarf seahorse tank despite the size.

OMG best idea ever... The first living organism in there should be a yellow sponge as long as it has no other corals on the rock. Just break the part with the sponge off if that's the case I guess? ;) ;)

Glad you like it :)

I'm not adding anything until I get fenbenzadole to dip them in. And my angler tank is a dwarf seahorse deathtrap. Besides the obvious fish-eating angler, there's hydroids and hungry NPS corals in there.

The sponge is going in the angler tank because that gets fed a lot of filter feeder foods daily.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Here's the new, and probably permanent, scape

3gallon4-28-12.jpg

Much better! Hip hip hooray!

Hello! I share your challenges with regards to hydroids. As with many others, you mention fenbendazole (aka: Panacur). I'm curious if you've looked into any of the related alternatives, specifically: flubendazole and levamisole?

There seems to be some concensus that Flatworm-Exit is most likely a dewormer, tho it's uncertain if it's flubendazole, levamisole, or something else in the same family. I recently came across a sketchy account of someone solving hydroids in their dwarf tank using FWE, but suspect it only killed the medusa, if that. Have you ever used FWE in your dwarf tank and if so have you noticed any impact on the hydroids?

Archived