Top Shelf Aquatics

Alto's Dwarf Seahorses

altolamprologus

Lol I would, but I'm a big believer in scientific terms :P

You should be calling them "Hippocampus Zostera" then. ;)

These horses are literally the only type of anything that I can remember the scientific name of, and I always get weird looks when I call them that.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Euphyllia

These horses are literally the only type of anything that I can remember the scientific name of, and I always get weird looks when I call them that.

Actually, you don't capitalize the species name and you italicize it. So it should be "Hippocampus zosterae". ...You also spelled "zosterae" incorrectly. :flower:

Actually, you don't capitalize the species name and you italicize it. So it should be "Hippocampus zosterae". ...You also spelled "zosterae" incorrectly. :flower:

Seriously? Can't believe I failed that bad! :lol:

altolamprologus
Flubendazole has only recently begun to find favor, as it has many of the same properties as fenbendazole, but doesn't seem to absorb into, then leach out from, rock and glass as badly. It's still a dewormer tho, so carries a lot of the same risks. Very little is known about levamisole in a marine tank, but it's in the same family. There are quite a few chemically unique dewomers available it seems, all of which have real potential for use as reef friendlier alternatives to fenbendazole.

The only real intersection with flatworm-exit is that it too is suspected of being a dewormer, possibly levamisole, but maybe not. So it not out side the realm of possibility that FWE might be of some use in treating hydroids, but I can't find enough evidence to support it.

Greater experimentation with dewomer alternatives in general seems worthwhile, what ever the case. A reef safe alternative for eradicating hydroids would revolutionize the marine breeding hobby, don't you think?

Anyway, that's all I got to work with at the moment, but I thank you for your reply and will continue to follow this thread. Good luck!

I may have to look into flubenzadole. I won't be treating the whole tank, just the algae in a separate container, so I'm still going to use fenbenzadole. But flubenzadole might be useful in the future, particularly in my angler tank. Thanks for the info :)

If I have some free time this summer, I might pick up some flatworm exit and run some tests on its effectiveness at killing hydroids.

FWIW the entire name should be italicized, so it would be Hippocampus zosterae :D

I like to use scientific names because it makes it so easy to know exactly what species is in question rather than having to guess at any number of species that share a common name. But it usually scares people off so I reserve scientific names for people who I know won't get confused, or if the situation calls for it.

Euphyllia
FWIW the entire name should be italicized, so it would be Hippocampus zosterae :D

I don't believe so. You don't capitalize genus names. :P

altolamprologus
I don't believe so. You don't capitalize genus names. :P
Genus and species names are always italicized when printed
http://www.factmonster.com/ce6/sci/A0857381.html

Now that that's settled, back to the ponies. I bought some fenbenzadole today and my Dr. Tim's and ammonium chloride shipped out this morning so this tank will start to look like something soon :D

altolamprologus

I got my stuff today :) I raised my ammonia to 2 ppm and added some Dr. Tim's. Once the tank brings 3 ppm of ammonia down to zero in one day, I'll add the macros and order my horses :D

I got my stuff today :) I raised my ammonia to 2 ppm and added some Dr. Tim's. Once the tank brings 3 ppm of ammonia down to zero in one day, I'll add the macros and order my horses :D

:) yay.

At this point it looks likenim not going to setting mine up for a long, long time.

altolamprologus
:) yay.

At this point it looks likenim not going to setting mine up for a long, long time.

Aww why not?

Ehh, money is still tight, and by the time I catch up and work on everything I want for my reef setup, The time and money just isn't going to be there. Hopefully I will get it up and running someday.

I'll definitely still follow along and live vicariously through you though :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Can you smell what the Rock is cooking! LOL, ammonia almost gone, yeah.... :D

altolamprologus
Ehh, money is still tight, and by the time I catch up and work on everything I want for my reef setup, The time and money just isn't going to be there. Hopefully I will get it up and running someday.

I'll definitely still follow along and live vicariously through you though :)

I hear ya about the money. I know it probably seems like I have a ton of cash because of all my tanks, but I'm broke. I work 1 day a week and live on a college student's budget. Every penny I get goes into my tanks :lol:

FWIW a dwarf seahorse setup isn't all that expensive. I've been keeping track of the money I'm spending and the tank with all equipment, sand, rock, dr. tim's, ammonium chloride, and fenbendadole cost me right about $200. The ponies will be $80-100 including shipping so about $300 for the entire setup. It's not that bad considering I have a few thousand invested in my reef.

Can you smell what the Rock is cooking! LOL, ammonia almost gone, yeah.... :D

Lol Mike I can definitely smell what the rock is cooking! Although I tested ammonia again today and it hasn't budged. Damn my impatience, I was hoping for something to happen already.

altolamprologus

The cycle is coming along nicely. Here's today's tests:

ammonia 0.5ppm (2ppm 4 days ago)

nitrite 1ppm

nitrate 25ppm

Not bad considering the water is 70 degrees!

The cycle is coming along nicely. Here's today's tests:

ammonia 0.5ppm (2ppm 4 days ago)

nitrite 1ppm

nitrate 25ppm

Not bad considering the water is 70 degrees!

omgomgomg when do you think some horses will be here?

Btw, my brother caught some seahorses in an eel trap yesterday. He threw them back but they were pretty cool.

altolamprologus

Btw, my brother caught some seahorses in an eel trap yesterday. He threw them back but they were pretty cool.

Idk I'm trying not to rush things. Maybe 2 weeks if all goes well :)

Cool, did you get any pics?

Idk I'm trying not to rush things. Maybe 2 weeks if all goes well :)

Cool, did you get any pics?

No:/. They were about 2 or 3 inches long and a charcoal-ey black though :)

No:/. They were about 2 or 3 inches long and a charcoal-ey black though :)

If you don't mind me asking, does your brother live in Florida?

...And if you don't mind me asking, is that illegal and/or does your brother have permits? :D

...And if you don't mind me asking, is that illegal and/or does your brother have permits? :D

He threw them back anyways Euphy..

He threw them back anyways Euphy..

No, he said his brother had eel traps. Is it legal to trap and like eat or kill or sell eels? Or whatever the fridge you do with them... Like make purses and crap? :huh:

Perfectly legal with the correct permits. Eels are used for bait and if big enough, to eat. And yes, horses were set free.

Perfectly legal with the correct permits. Eels are used for bait and if big enough, to eat. And yes, horses were set free.

Does your brother have the correct permits? :P

:fwccop:

Archived