Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Kat - I've got a question for you. I have a RSM 130D - I noticed in your epic thread you used Panorama Pro's attached to the hood of the RSM. Did they last mounted like that? Did the condensation or salt creep cause any failures with them? All I have right now is the stock lighting, but I want more BLUE - so I am thinking of adding a panorama pro 445 nm blue in the space between the flip front and the regular lighting. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Good morning. I don't often get to take top down shots of the tank but I was cleaning out the back chambers of the RSM earlier and here we go. Pic is processed in lightroom (which I still don't understand) to remove the heavy blue that was in the pic. Okay it's still blue but it is better than it was before.

20140618_084724edit.jpg

Kat - I've got a question for you. I have a RSM 130D - I noticed in your epic thread you used Panorama Pro's attached to the hood of the RSM. Did they last mounted like that? Did the condensation or salt creep cause any failures with them? All I have right now is the stock lighting, but I want more BLUE - so I am thinking of adding a panorama pro 445 nm blue in the space between the flip front and the regular lighting. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Hello there. Well, that was a long time ago. I upgraded to a T5/LED hybrid last summer. (and another upgrade is imminent :ninja: )

But yes when I had the PP installed in the hood I did run into the lights slowly over time burning out. This really isn't a factor of the salt creep but the heatsink of the pros are not efficient enough. I was able to get them replaced a few times as they were still under warrantee.

I have to say though, that the color of the lights and how they appeared to me and to the colors in the tank were phenomenal. I don't meant to suggest those lights are the bees knees, only that the colors they rendered in my tank is a combination I have not been able to dial in again on my tank. Also too the PP was installed with RSM stock 50/50 PCs and now I have mostly blue T5s so there is a difference there as well.

How about tinting your windows

Maybe on the next car.

I have an update on the Red Sea Refractometer. I calibrated it with RODI (go ahead beat me up) a couple of times then tested my tank. The salinity was where it should be, and currently is 1.025.

I wrote to Red Sea and this is what they had to say:

I am glad you have had a chance to use the new Red Sea refractometer, and that you like it.

The way it works is that the refractometer along with a high quality optic discern the elements differently based on their refractive index.

You should not see even with a brine refractometer tremendous shifts in salinity with dosing.

A 35 ppt brine standard will also not be precise on a seawater refractometer

I've asked them again about y'alls insistence that this thing be calibrated with 35ppt. Waiting to hear back.

• Like 3

I didn't even know the IS came without tinted windows. I would assume it was standard equipment for them.

Ya? in the 2014 model? If it's standard then I have it. Except the tint is pretty much non existent. I need a gangsta tint.

The 2013 RX350 rear passenger windows and the rear trunk window had a tint. Now that was a tint.

Red Sea confirmed what I thought - you can't use the 35ppt solution to calibrate their seawater refractometer. I wonder if you calibrate your Red Sea to RO/DI and then check the 35ppt solution if it would be 35 ppt or 40 as you saw before?

Red Sea confirmed what I thought - you can't use the 35ppt solution to calibrate their seawater refractometer. I wonder if you calibrate your Red Sea to RO/DI and then check the 35ppt solution if it would be 35 ppt or 40 as you saw before?

I'm going to do that later this afternoon. I sent all my readings to Red Sea and they asked me to check again which I did after calibrating again. This is when the salinity in the tank came to where it should be. The first readings I did were on an uncalibrated instrument (even though it was calibrated that very day at the LFS).

RS said that the 35ppt solution will not be precisely 35 on the Red sea scale but it should not be 5 points off like I was reporting. Given that my salinity was also off, it is for sure a calibration issue. Will post my new testing results later today.

Still at the salon. Especial treatments going on. Gotta stop looking like something the Kat dragged home. ;)

Going to get 'Spike' the urchin after this. I couldn't find a girly name for the urchin. Suggestions?

• Like 1

Awesome. For the name, why not Lucy? I kind of like that... Lucy the Urchin. Or Quill? That has a feminine sound to it and is a synonym for spike...

Ivy could work, but ivy is more of a crawling vine than prickly. It could be Spike as it will be hard to tell if it's male or female.

Ivy? After that prickly character in batman.

Of course spike is not a girly name. :slap: and I know what a quill is :slap:

I know, I was just pointing out my reasoning

My niece want to call the urchin Prickalicious or Prickles

My nephew wants to call the urchin Puffy

I'm fixated on Spike

But I also found TART: A nubile young temptress, who dresses teasingly and provocative.

The urchin is currently wearing hot pink zoanthids. Who knows what she'll wear next.

So I put the urchin on a patch of bryopsis and she moved off very slowly and immediately got beat up by the clownfish pair. The slapped the water around her so hard she visibly shook (they did the same to Bugs the bunny)

• Like 1