Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I hav a silhouette picture Infront of the same tank on Facebook. The place is much smaller than I remember as a kid, but still one of the best kept places I can recall.

I got a Krill care package in the mail today. :lol: Thanks to lovetoreef my rock nem and fat head dendro got a pretty hearty meal. :wub:

Yayyyy. Are the krill basically just for those two?

Good morrow peoples of the Reef Republic. How goes it?

I have to bake 2 cakes for class tonight. Gonna make a double layer cake with Nutella filling. :eek:

I baked the first cake and took it out of the tin too fast so it crumbled.

beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

So now I have to bake 2 more. Good thing I bought extra ingredients.

Still have to make icing and things. It is supposed to rain all day today, I don't have one of those cake carrying things so not sure how to bring the decorated layered cake cake home. :wacko:

• Like 1

Good morrow peoples of the Reef Republic. How goes it?

I have to bake 2 cakes for class tonight. Gonna make a double layer cake with Nutella filling. :eek:

I baked the first cake and took it out of the tin too fast so it crumbled.

beating-head-against-the-wall.gif

So now I have to bake 2 more. Good thing I bought extra ingredients.

Still have to make icing and things. It is supposed to rain all day today, I don't have one of those cake carrying things so not sure how to bring the decorated layered cake cake home. :wacko:

A good idea if you want to take them out of the tin fast is to stick some parchment paper in the shape and size of the tin at the bottom before you pour the cake batter in. Also after out of the oven stick the pan in the freezer with parchment paper loosely on top so it doesn't dry out. Keep it in there for 15-20 minutes or until cool enough then take out of the pan. The parchment paper at the bottom will prevent any cake (especially an airy, moist cake) from sticking to the bottom of the pan and also prevents it from cracking.

I love baking cakes.

cake.jpg

• Like 3

^ what they said. My mom actually freezes her cakes and doesn't ice them until the day of. No defrosting if I recall. As far as cake carrying, do you have a box? All you need to do is keep the cake from sliding around in the box. Maybe crumpled newspaper under the cake round?

• Like 1

Hey Kat, do you ever frag your green grandis palys?

Recently started to and only on demand. I've made 3 frags so far. The mother colony stays pissed for at least 2-3 days afterwards. And I have to give it plenty of time to recover in between fraggings because it is palytoxin central.

^ what they said. My mom actually freezes her cakes and doesn't ice them until the day of. No defrosting if I recall. As far as cake carrying, do you have a box? All you need to do is keep the cake from sliding around in the box. Maybe crumpled newspaper under the cake round?

I might put them in the fridge after they cool. Cake #2 is ready, waiting 15 minutes before putting it on a rack and then baking #3.

I gave some to the cleaning lady, I think I might have to give some cake to the neighbors and my adopted parents in my building. Too much cake.

• Like 1

Recently started to and only on demand. I've made 3 frags so far. The mother colony stays pissed for at least 2-3 days afterwards. And I have to give it plenty of time to recover in between fraggings because it is palytoxin central.

Would you want to frag some of yours for me? 1 or 2 polyps or how ever many you usually do. I can't seem to find them, and when I do they aren't guaranteed to be pretty like yours. The ones at my LFS they have only fragged once and they are in a 400 gallon tank so they won't be fragged anytime soon. I'd really like some :wub::flower: I can wait until whenever you're ready to frag them again too no big.

• Like 1

toothpicks and trash bag or plastic wrap. As long as you are done with cake decorating part put a few tooth picks on top and gently put plastic on top.

Paandemonium

He is slowly removing the largest of the fish, tangs mostly to make room for smaller fish. In the corner I found the most beautiful wrasses, very small compared to the giants that were in there.

DSCF2643.JPG

He confesses that staghorns were one of his fav corals. Mine too!

DSCF2644.JPG

Where's Claya, Lawn and Mr. M. RBTA's yo! I even took a video that I'll post later, they were mesmerizing.

DSCF2662.JPG

I've never gone scuba diving but I imagine open ocean would look like this. These Anthias stole the show, they were gorgeous.

DSCF2666.JPG

Huge Derasas all over

DSCF2670.JPG

While Joe scraped off the algae during his dive, the Tangs went bananas

DSCF2692.JPG

Top side, where we fed the fish.

DSCF2640.JPG

Such fluffy gorgonians and that Yellow Turbinaria. :wub:

DSCF2671.JPG

Beautiful right? Another one of my fav corals.

DSCF2665.JPG

The sheer scale of the tank is hard to imagine. 20,000 gallons and such wonderous colors.

DSCF2636.JPG

And then we said good bye.

DSCF2684.JPG

The huge brute in the back is one of his Kalk mixing barrels.

So I was late to this party but DAMNNNNN that nem tank!

Also waiting on the baking pictures Kat come on now

• Like 2

Burn that sucker then hide the disaster under pretty icing, its just a competition on looks right. Surprise to who ever eats it. :lol:

But yes the tooth pick thing works quite well if you have any miniature marsh mellows you can use them on the tip of the tooth pick that is against the plastic wrap to prevent the tooth pick from puncturing the wrap. If the tooth pick does puncture the wrap it risks falling on to the icing and getting stuck.

• Like 3

the cake actually tastes pretty good.

so I have 2 good cakes now. put one in the fridge, second one is still cooling on a rack.

I'm mixing up some buttercream next and then coloring it.

Need a tub for the icing and a bag each I suppose of the colors.