Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

natalia_la_loca

Still looking for birdsnest skeletons. :flower:

I think my parents have one decorating their bathroom. If you're still having trouble finding one in a week or so, I could probably talk them out of it.

Shoulda asked them yesterday, I was just there for easter dinner...

• Like 2

I'm still looking for a Neon Green birdsnest colony. Maybe you can have the skele a few weeks after I find one? :lol:

*sigh* I can't like this.... sorry papa veng.

Veng if I ever make it down your way I will bring you a frag. We have lots of people locally that grow that kind of birds nest so they are fairly cheap frags.

Veng if I ever make it down your way I will bring you a frag. We have lots of people locally that grow that kind of birds nest so they are fairly cheap frags.

Yeah, I really need to source one from a hobbyist's tank. I've seen a few in LFS around here lately and no matter if they're dying or decent they want stupid prices for them.
  • Like 1

James Fartheree responded to my message about the Crocea. I had sent him this picture where the mantle of the clam is always pointed up even in low flow or even when the pumps are off. He messaged me back indicating that it looks like Pinched Mantle. I have to do a FW dip now. While this hopefully cures the crocea, I have 2 other clams in the system, Maximas, which cannot be removed for a FW dip. I'm rather upset at this news.

20140419_104209_1.jpg

Yeah, I really need to source one from a hobbyist's tank. I've seen a few in LFS around here lately and no matter if they're dying or decent they want stupid prices for them.

How big of colony are you looking for?

• Like 1

Bird skeletons. Need some. Kthxbye.

I could recommend a LFS or two that will sell you one. It'll be labeled live, but for the condition it's in, I think it'd be better off put out of it's misery. :lol:

• Like 2

Maxima claims do not contract it as often as Crocea clams, but good luck.

FW dip for about an hour, and they can take up to 2 hrs without harm. I read a bunch about pinched mantle before buying my 2.

However pics online did not look the same as your clam, but I am sure the expert is right.

James Fartheree was absolutely right. Took a top down picture for Zeph a few minutes ago and the clam is ridiculously sick. I am correcting the pH of my water right now, the fresh water has higher pH than my tank. Not sure exactly how to lower it, maybe vitamin C.

James Fartheree was absolutely right. Took a top down picture for Zeph a few minutes ago and the clam is ridiculously sick. I am correcting the pH of my water right now, the fresh water has higher pH than my tank. Not sure exactly how to lower it, maybe vitamin C.

White vinegar has a low pH.

• Like 1

I've used pool acid (Muriatic a.k.a. Hydrochloric acid) to rapidly lower PH for aquariums. It works well, it can be measured out easily, but it is a potent acid so you need to be very careful with it.

Super convenient if you already have it for your pool.

I think I saw a dead hawk on the side of the road a few months ago. I can go see if that skeleton is still there. :D

Why not adjust the PH of the fresh water rather then jack with the PH of the tank? That is easy enough to do with common things in the house, baking soda and the like.

I think I saw a dead hawk on the side of the road a few months ago. I can go see if that skeleton is still there. :D

Why not adjust the PH of the fresh water rather then jack with the PH of the tank? That is easy enough to do with common things in the house, baking soda and the like.

I think Kat's plan was to alter the pH of the fresh water, right? Maybe I misread?

• Like 1

Updates on the tank.

FW dipped Blue the clam for 30 minutes. My pH probe was giving me heart attacks and was all over the place. I calibrated it but that didn't change the yo-yo readings. So I did the best I could to match the fresh water to the tank in terms of pH and temperature. Dipped and she's back in the tank now as of 45 minutes ago. Is already extending her mantle but it will be at least a day or two to judge if she is better. She is on the sandbed for now, not up top in the high flow area. Nassarius vibex were immediately on her and I feared the worst but they zoomed around on her shell and then went away. She coughed a few times and is slowly opening. Of course now I am deathly afraid for the Maximas. Sigh.

I forgot to post about Mater, the Blue Neon Goby. He's been with me for 2.5 years and I haven't seen him for a few days. :(

Bella the Mandarin has been feeling unwell. She had buoyancy problems and has her fins bitten off or has contracted an infection or been stressed to the point of being sick. She did this a year ago also, so I'm wondering if it is seasonal or something. Today she came out to the front of the tank after about a week. She didn't eat for a few days but has been eating for the last couple. She has not lost any weight so hopefully she will recover from this current funk.

Sam the mandarin is a whole different fish! He stole food from the acro crabs. Yes, he did! Still pathetically skinny, he has been a voracious feeder this past week and I am wondering if this is because Bella is not on his case all the time since she has been a sickee poo? Very strange behaviour from both fish. He loved Roggers food which is green in color due to veggies and spirulina. It is a chunky food so pardon me if I can't understand why a mandarin likes it. :blink: He also ate mysis which he has not eaten ever before even when it was sitting on his nose. :blink: Who is this guy?!

Flatworms in the fuge are extremely few and very tiny. I am amazed that a severe overdose of FWE did not completely eradicate them.

Cal 450

dKH 8.4

Mag 1480

pH 7.90

45 minutes after the FW dip and Blue the clam is looking more normal than all the days I have had her.

• Like 2