Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

It will work out. :flower:

If it doesn't, I don't think anyone will let us try to ship to each other again. :lol:

So we can only ship each other cheesecake and alcohol? :P

• Like 2

The anemone crawl of death

My rock flower anemone has been a happy camper since October. But now is slowly creeping up on my happy zoas. :(

I think it wants to be front and center and I am okay with that but I need to save my zoas. They are also the host for my clownfish so I can't have them destroyed. I am going to frag the zoas, I suppose there is no other choice.

So move the rock flower.

What I do when my anemones are encroaching on my zoa's space, is I place a rock or something on top of the nem. Nem will get annoyed. Nem will back off. Easy peasy lemon squeazy

Hello from the Long Island Aquarium! I'm here with my niece and nephew and we got a PERSONAL tour by Joe Yauillo! omgomgomg

We saw the back rooms the 10 foot skimmer, he just installed bio pellets, his ohyto cultures, all ReefGen frags and raceways.

We fed the fishies. The RBTAs are gigantic.

Baby clownfish they are breeding.

• Like 4

hey, are you still looking for those "just right" eagle eyes?

And I saw some yellow pagoda coral and toadstool corals today at the LFS, and I couldn't help but thinking of you, and how you tank is missing some yellow ;)

• Like 1
jedimaster1138

Hello from the Long Island Aquarium! I'm here with my niece and nephew and we got a PERSONAL tour by Joe Yauillo! omgomgomg

We saw the back rooms the 10 foot skimmer, he just installed bio pellets, his ohyto cultures, all ReefGen frags and raceways.

We fed the fishies. The RBTAs are gigantic.

Baby clownfish they are breeding.

I took a picture!

We got to pay Phil, a 1 yr old Penguin that was adorable. Lots of pictures.

I told the wife I want to go there this spring....worth it right??? Post those pictures! Can i get a tour too?

Zephy came over today and got Penny kisses.

• Like 2

I can't describe what an awesome visit we had today at the aquarium. I had messaged Joe Yaiullo that we were coming and he made time for us even though I had never met him before. We got a personal tour of the backstage, the reef gen frag raceways, the baby clowns and monos they raise, their live cultured foods, their huge reactors, skimmers, the kalkwasser container! He doses vodka and uses vinegar in his kalk. Gosh, I can;t even fully describe the awesomeness. The Metal Halide light were gigantic and the reef tank lighting looks very natural, not too blue, not overly yellow, just right. 'Nuf talking. Some pics. Click to enlarge

Here is Joe diving into the reef tank, he had an achilles tendon issue and his foot was in a boot the whole time he gave us a tour. He hadn't jumped into the tank in 3 weeks he said, I hope I didn't encourage him :blush:He knew we were waiting for him and he gave us some crazy pictures holding out his arms and hugging the kids. Here's a far off shot, that is my niece and nephew in the silhouette

DSCF2691.JPG

10 foot plus skimmer, 200 gallons a minute is the capacity he said.

DSCF2638.JPG

He recently employed bio pellets but he has not yet seen an results, he is going to increased the qty of the pellets and add more flow to the reactor.

DSCF2642.JPG

• Like 8

He is slowly removing the largest of the fish, tangs mostly to make room for smaller fish. In the corner I found the most beautiful wrasses, very small compared to the giants that were in there.

DSCF2643.JPG

He confesses that staghorns were one of his fav corals. Mine too!

DSCF2644.JPG

Where's Claya, Lawn and Mr. M. RBTA's yo! I even took a video that I'll post later, they were mesmerizing.

DSCF2662.JPG

I've never gone scuba diving but I imagine open ocean would look like this. These Anthias stole the show, they were gorgeous.

DSCF2666.JPG

Huge Derasas all over

DSCF2670.JPG

While Joe scraped off the algae during his dive, the Tangs went bananas

DSCF2692.JPG

Top side, where we fed the fish.

DSCF2640.JPG

Such fluffy gorgonians and that Yellow Turbinaria. :wub:

DSCF2671.JPG

Beautiful right? Another one of my fav corals.

DSCF2665.JPG

The sheer scale of the tank is hard to imagine. 20,000 gallons and such wonderous colors.

DSCF2636.JPG

And then we said good bye.

DSCF2684.JPG

Hahaha , his pellet reactor is larger than my water storage barrel.

The huge brute in the back is one of his Kalk mixing barrels.

• Like 9

The aquarium is 14 years old this year. This article is pretty cool to read.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/2/aquarium

(the picture of the halides in this article are accurate even today, same lights, same 3 rows. One row is 10K, one is 14K and I forgot what the 3rd row was.

Lovely pics Kat! It looks like you had a ton of fun!

Kid in a candy store Indy. For food they feed all the same brands we do at home. They just have BUCKET sized portions. :)

• Like 2

:lol: it was in their walk in refrigerators. I saw their kitchen where they prepare the food for everybody, monkeys, sea lions, penguins, otters, the reef, sharks, etc etc etc

I also met Joe's middle son, he helped him build the aquarium, a young guy, he is also the one responsible for the star shaped reef gen frag plugs. Joe's girlfriend Laura is the co-founder of ReefGen along with Justin Credible.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/09/20/reefgen-aquaculture/

jedimasterben

I wonder what a bucket of PE mysis looks (and smells) like? :wacko:

From ~3:10 on.

:lol: it was in their walk in refrigerators. I saw their kitchen where they prepare the food for everybody, monkeys, sea lions, penguins, otters, the reed, sharks, etc etc etc

I also met Joe's middle son, he helped him build the aquarium, a young guy, he is also the one responsible for the star shaped reef gen frag plugs. Joe's girlfriend Laura is the co-founder of ReefGen along with Justin Credible.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/09/20/reefgen-aquaculture/

Reef Gen has some of the nicest stylos I've ever seen. Want so much. So much wantss.

• Like 2

Reef Gen has some of the nicest stylos I've ever seen. Want so much. So much wantss.

The raceways were fantastic. The stylos in the main tank are where they frag from and I agree they are very nice.

• Like 1

Very nice! Thanks for the pics. I have met Joe here at a local reef club event and he is a really nice guy.

He is, he made a lot of time for us. I'm not sure who was more excited, the kids or me.

• Like 3
jedimasterben

The raceways were fantastic. The stylos in the main tank are where they frag from and I agree they are very nice.

Oh I know, I saw them in your pictures and in the videos I looked up, especially this pic :wub: :wub:

DSCF2644.JPG

I miss my purple stylo :(

• Like 3