SaltCritters.com

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

I have to say brittle starfish are the most boring things ever. All I see is a teaser tip of an arm. Bah.

I'm looking for appropriate low light corals for the shaded area under the main ledge.

I like yellow sun corals for their color but I was also thinking of a yello wor red sponge. Would be nice if I can get a hold of some yellow or red lace coral too. Any ideas for other low light corals?

We who grew up in the 90's had plenty of blacklight posters, too. Every time someone new sees my reef at night they say that's what it looks like.

Those who dabble in recreational "mood enhancers" when I'm having guests for a bbq have a tendency to get lost on their way back from the bathroom... Haha.

;)

Chilli coral? There is a green and red cucumber that stays in one spot and doesn't move around.

Be glad your brittle star doesn't come out. Mine grabbed my Christmas Favia and walked it straight into my torch :lol:

I have to say brittle starfish are the most boring things ever. All I see is a teaser tip of an arm. Bah.

I'm looking for appropriate low light corals for the shaded area under the main ledge.

I like yellow sun corals for their color but I was also thinking of a yello wor red sponge. Would be nice if I can get a hold of some yellow or red lace coral too. Any ideas for other low light corals?

I would go with the sun corals. I love mine The yellows are hard to find im looking too.

Chilli coral? There is a green and red cucumber that stays in one spot and doesn't move around.

Chillis are a bit much, I was rather hoping for a lace coral, Fire Coral, Distichopora sp. Those seem to be hard to find.

Maybe sponges

Be glad your brittle star doesn't come out. Mine grabbed my Christmas Favia and walked it straight into my torch :lol:

When Chills are happy they cover with nice white pylops - VERY nice choice.

eh. okay I'll have to look for those at the stores.

IF you're willing to try something different "although a bit difficult" you should REALLY try your luck at a "spider sponge" they are NPS and absolutely beautiful looking, plus you seem to have good luck with just about everything in that sexy little tank of yours so why not atleast give it a shot?

spider_sponge.jpg

20070722-candy-cane-sponge.jpg

sponge2.JPG

I mean I personally dont think you could possibly get something more beautiful, elegant and intriguing looking...What say you

IF you're willing to try something different "although a bit difficult" you should REALLY try your luck at a "spider sponge" they are NPS and absolutely beautiful looking, plus you seem to have good luck with just about everything in that sexy little tank of yours so why not atleast give it a shot?

I mean I personally dont think you could possibly get something more beautiful, elegant and intriguing looking...What say you

The ones at my LFS never have their polyps out but now that you have posted pictures, that is one really beautiful sight.

The ones at my LFS never have their polyps out but now that you have posted pictures, that is one really beautiful sight.

Aren't they?

I rarely see them in stores but like you when I do see them they're always closed, I think the next time I see a nice healthy one at the LFS I am just gonna buy it and try my luck with it, I have this strange feeling that if I get it my zoa's health/growth will also pickup because I will be forced to feed this coral a filter feeder type food a few times per week which will in turn feed the zoa's, I only have 2 fish in my tank and with my carbon dosing I run a ULNS for the most part cause I only feed my fish 1 day a week and I spot feed my LPS, however I also do a 10-15 gallon H2o change every week/other week

I could be WAY off but it's worth a shot LOL

Here you go. One PRO, 2 stunners.

IMG_20120404_212838.jpg

Travelling back in time a bit, here!

I've just picked up an old silver RSM 130, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the lights. I like the colour and growth you're getting.

What CF bulbs are you using?

Which pro module? And, what stunners? How are the lights that are not mounted inside the splash guard holding up?

I'm thinking about three of the RGB pro modules.

jedimasterben

I've just picked up an old silver RSM 130, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with the lights. I like the colour and growth you're getting.

Which pro module? And, what stunners? How are the lights that are not mounted inside the splash guard holding up?

You can only use the bulbs from RSM on it. I wouldn't use PROs for your main lights, and definitely not the RGB ones. If you want all LED, go for a retrofit from Steve's LEDs, it will save you tons of money vs buying four PROs and power supplies and reflectors and still having ####ty lights and color.

Edited by jedimasterben
You can only use the bulbs from RSM on it. I wouldn't use PROs for your main lights, and definitely not the RGB ones. If you want all LED, go for a retrofit from Steve's LEDs, it will save you tons of money vs buying four PROs and power supplies and reflectors and still having ####ty lights and color.

Thanks, Ben. I'm not going all LED on this one. I just put two SOLs over my 40B, and I just did a DIY LED build for my NC24. The time and effort I've got to allot to LEDs is nearly spent. :lol: The guy I bought the RSM off of had just replaced the bulbs the week before I purchased the tank, but they're one 50/50 and one white (?) I think. I would like to get at least six months out of them. I'm just looking to tweak the lighting a little for the time being.

The bulbs are stock RSM T5s. They come in 55w 50/50. They have a custom pin so no other brand or bulb will fit.

Both PROs are the 12K White/445nm Blue, the stunner is 453nm blue.

The PRO's are doing fine. It is not an ideal way to mount these so I am hopeful of them staying on for a while. If I have yet to find anybody willing to make me a single line LED with a splash guard that would still be a slim profile like these PRO's. I know it can be done, just have to find a custom professional to do it.

Where are you planning on putting the 3rd PRO? it will not fit in between the tubes.

but they're one 50/50 and one white (?) I think.

If it is a white bulb, you're going to have to pull it out and let me know the make and model. Please. Thank you.

The bulbs are stock RSM T5s. They come in 55w 50/50. They have a custom pin so no other brand or bulb will fit.

The PRO's are doing fine. It is not an ideal way to mount these so I am hopeful of them staying on for a while. If I have yet to find anybody willing to make me a single line LED with a splash guard that would still be a slim profile like these PRO's. I know it can be done, just have to find a custom professional to do it.

Where are you planning on putting the 3rd PRO? it will not fit in between the tubes.

Good to know about the third pro! I guess I'd be using two. :lol: Cheaper for me. :)

It isn't RSM bulbs that are in mine, but they do work and fit correctly. They're not both 50/50, though. The chap I purchased it off of had a heck of a time finding bulbs for it. They may be manufactured for the RSM by a different company? I don't know what brand they are, but I do know where they came from. I've definitely got one 50/50 and one white (of some sort). I have to look more closely at it.

I really like the way yours renders colours, so I think I'll try to emulate it a best I can. :)

If it is a white bulb, you're going to have to pull it out and let me know the make and model. Please. Thank you.

Will do. :)

I know that it came from Pisces Pet Emporium here in Calgary. I'll try to get it out of the hood to have a look when I get home.

Hey Kat give these guy's a shout, I had been emailing them awhile back about making something for me and they can pretty much do ANYTHING that you want, and at a reasonable price...Only thing is they are across the pond but well worth your time

http://cutter.com.au/

jedimasterben
Thanks, Ben. I'm not going all LED on this one. I just put two SOLs over my 40B, and I just did a DIY LED build for my NC24. The time and effort I've got to allot to LEDs is nearly spent. :lol: The guy I bought the RSM off of had just replaced the bulbs the week before I purchased the tank, but they're one 50/50 and one white (?) I think. I would like to get at least six months out of them. I'm just looking to tweak the lighting a little for the time being.

Steve puts together the kits for an extra like $40 or so. ;)

I can't get the splash guard off. The knobby things are really stuck. I'm not sure how much force I should be using.

I can see the name on the bulbs, though. They're Hamilton 55W T5 PC bulbs.

I think this should be it:

http://www.marinedepot.com/Hamilton_Compac...UPCSPFF-vi.html

I think the white one is a 6700k, but as I haven't figure out how to get it out yet I'm not 100% sure.

Edited by Enigma
My tank keeps me up at night

:lol:

IMG_2617.CR2.jpg

this is one of the best tank shots I have seen. Any chance of posting a link to the full sized image? I wanna set it as my desktop background. lol