Cultivated Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Kat asked me to tell you all she has no power and her tank is in trouble. She has a battery powered airstone, but her temp is sinking fast. I think shes going to be up all night. DAY -UM!

I ended up in Cleveland and can't get out, it's crazy here so it's must be nutz on the coast.

Half of Manhattan blacked out last night, but THANK GOD NOT ME! There is no way I could manually keep all my tanks alive. I would have just said a prayer and went to bed. Kat still has no power, and her tank is down to 75F. But we all know what a trooper she is.

75 deg is actually not that bad. If it stays around there, the tank might be fine.

True..I keep my reefs at 76/77 so 75 is nuthin. But if your tank is usually 79 - 80 a drop to 75 can be a problem. Also she does have some type of parasite situation goin on with fish pimples, and a temp drop can really give the bad guys a boost. She should be fine though.

Edited by ZephNYC
Half of Manhattan blacked out last night, but THANK GOD NOT ME! There is no way I could manually keep all my tanks alive. I would have just said a prayer and went to bed. Kat still has no power, and her tank is down to 75F. But we all know what a trooper she is.

Glad to here that for you Zeph I would hate to read something happened to Big Bertha. Kat hope things turn out ok for you. If you do have some losses hit me up I will send you a nice box. I have your back GURL.

KITTY REPORT:

Manually oxygenating and heating ....temp up to 77. So far not too bad. Any advice appreciated.

Glad to here that for you Zeph I would hate to read something happened to Big Bertha. Kat hope things turn out ok for you. If you do have some losses hit me up I will send you a nice box. I have your back GURL.

THanks. I do need to get a UPS. THis should be a warning. I did have a generator but the X took it!!!

Thought Kat's building had back up generators? We are getting 50-60 mph winds all the way in the midwest (Indiana) from Sandy. I took the day off that wind chill is nasty today. We lost power here a few years back in the winter. I have a gas water heater so I was able to have hot water to float bottles in my tank.

jedimasterben
THanks. I do need to get a UPS. THis should be a warning. I did have a generator but the X took it!!!

A UPS won't do much for your systems. One would run powerheads for a few hours but that's all. If you flipped on one of your heaters or chillers (or halides, for that matter) you'd probably be able to hear the thing cry. :lol:

A UPS won't do much for your systems. One would run powerheads for a few hours but that's all. If you flipped on one of your heaters or chillers (or halides, for that matter) you'd probably be able to hear the thing cry. :lol:

yea...it would really only help with heating, but that and battery backup for my MP40's would be smart.

I'll agree with jedimasterben here, you need a generator. A UPS won't be able to handle a day of survival power needs for a tank.

As for Kat, if her apartment is cooler than the tank, then cover the tank to prevent evaporation (sweat cools us by evaporation remember) and wrap it in blankets. Our thoughts and prayers are with her.

I'll agree with jedimasterben here, you need a generator. A UPS won't be able to handle a day of survival power needs for a tank.

As for Kat, if her apartment is cooler than the tank, then cover the tank to prevent evaporation (sweat cools us by evaporation remember) and wrap it in blankets. Our thoughts and prayers are with her.

I will tell her, thanks.

jedimasterben
yea...it would really only help with heating, but that and battery backup for my MP40's would be smart.

I was thinking about the Ecotech battery backup, as well. it can run a single MP10 for like 30 hours. I can afro-engineer deep-cycle batteries together, but I would have to manually start and stop them, and that just isn't fun.

I was thinking about the Ecotech battery backup, as well. it can run a single MP10 for like 30 hours. I can afro-engineer deep-cycle batteries together, but I would have to manually start and stop them, and that just isn't fun.

Jerry Rig sounds better :) lol

I have one for my MP10, For so simple to set up hard to say no to. I've run that and a UPS on my heater (50watt in warm Texas) for 14 hours no problem.

KITTY UPDATE

Hour 12 without power...

Still manually heating water and oxygenating every hour, FREQUENTLY enough??

How long can livestock survive without filtration?

Is ammonia building up her biggest worry?

What are signs of oxygen depletion.

What to notice specifically in fish with oxygen depletion?

Tank is wrapped with blankets and she THANKS EVERYONE for their help, advice, concern and well wishes!!

jedimasterben
Jerry Rig sounds better :) lol

Mine is better than what my grandma says :lol:

I have one for my MP10, For so simple to set up hard to say no to. I've run that and a UPS on my heater (50watt in warm Texas) for 14 hours no problem.

How much was your total cost?

KITTY UPDATE

Hour 12 without power...

Still manually heating water and oxygenating every hour, FREQUENTLY enough??

How long can livestock survive without filtration?

Is ammonia building up her biggest worry?

What are signs of oxygen depletion.

What to notice specifically in fish with oxygen depletion?

Tank is wrapped with blankets and she THANKS EVERYONE for their help, advice, concern and well wishes!!

Nobody can answer this, every tank is different. THis is dependant on your personal bio laod and total oxygen consumption. She doesnt have many fish so shes pretty good. Signs of oxygen depletion are fish swimming at the surface. Ammonia buildup is not a concern.

Edited by ZephNYC

Kat I read about the problems you are having and I really hope that all will go well and that you can keep the tank going using some of the recs made by others.

As Zeph said ... heat some tank water somehow ... maybe you have a gas stove and can do it and then keep the temp up that way ... or heat newly prepared saltwater and use that.

Godspeed ...

Albert

Oxygen deprivation is definitely the first concern, if the fish are gaping at the surface that's the give away! You know someone loves their fish when they are up taking care of it all night. I hope everything is alive and happy when the power gets back up Kat!

Colder water actually holds more oxygen so she has that factor to her advantage. If it were me I'd be stirring a few times an hour, but I think I recall that she had a battery powered air pump? That should be adding sufficient oxygen without stirring. She can easily go a couple days without filtration as long as there's water movement. I've come home several times to a return pump running dry for one reason or another after a vacation or business travel. I don't think the dip in temp is going to hurt anything if she can keep it above 72. It's a gradual temp change so it's not like it's immediate. Inhabitants are being slowly acclimated to the lower temp. So she'll need to gradually bring that back up just as slow when power comes back on.