Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Magic sauce grew into one of my fav montis and killed a HUGE portion of it. Way powerful sting/chem war. You better come over and take the offending branch before I flush it. And then you can sell all my stupid frags I've had sitting around taking over my sandbed.

I keep telling you I would be happy to put up a sale thread for you, send me the pictures and prices on email.

I want the magic sauce! When you meet zeph can you give it to him if we don't meet first?

Kat are you using Kalkwasser in your ato water now? I swore i read it in your thread someone recommended it in here, maybe it was zeph.

I had started a KALK drip, but it did not help because of other issues. I am testing my dKH again this week before determining the correct course of action. I am thinking the gravity drip isn't the best for KALK, and that the ATO is a better choice, hate to get my shiny new custom acrylic ATO all cruddy but if that's what I have to do then that is what I have to do I guess.

Mini brittles?? I have millions of those!!!

Any chance you can shake a couple rocks in a zip lock and save me the cooties that come out? I really want some, my sand bed is a bit deep in some areas.

Update on my buddys tank.

11pm last night

IMG_20120806_224451.jpg

8am today

IMG_20120807_082503.jpg

His fire shrimp and skunk shrimp died. Clownfish and Royal Gramma are still alive. I made 3-4 gallons of water for him so he's going to do a WC in an hour or so. Wish we could have done the WC last night (we did 10%) but he ran out of water.

Eff PMs, I'm using Kat's thread like this forever. Haha.

Who needs pm's??

You both need a dose of my beating stick.

thread-whip-pink.jpg

Edited by metrokat
SerenityReef
8am today

IMG_20120807_082503.jpg

thread-whip-pink.jpg

Did you dose his tank with peroxide after the dip?

Is that beating stick supposed to be a deterrent? :D

Edited by SerenityReef
Did you dose his tank with peroxide after the dip?

Is that beating stick supposed to be a deterrent? :D

Even after rinsing the rocks, I believe there was enough peroxide in the water to be considered a dose. I also dribbled peroxide on the back wall of the tank where a mat of GHA grows. But to fully get to that requires draining the tank really low and he did not have enough water to compensate.

he's doing a 20% change right now. I feel terrible that he lost his 2 year old shrimps but if you see the pictures, the tank looked awful. Something major had to be done, he wasn't going to throw out everything and start afresh with a baby on the way.

This thread goes from party to business. Depending on my mood. B)

I keep telling you I would be happy to put up a sale thread for you, send me the pictures and prices on email.

I want the magic sauce! When you meet zeph can you give it to him if we don't meet first?

That means I have to scrape the walls of my tank and take pictures, then upload... it's summertime, it's lazy time. Permanent siesta from June-September.

I had started a KALK drip, but it did not help because of other issues. I am testing my dKH again this week before determining the correct course of action. I am thinking the gravity drip isn't the best for KALK, and that the ATO is a better choice, hate to get my shiny new custom acrylic ATO all cruddy but if that's what I have to do then that is what I have to do I guess.

Wait, you were doing an under saturated kalk drip? No wonder nothing was happening. Haha. Who told you to do a kalk drip?

11pm last night

IMG_20120806_224451.jpg

8am today

IMG_20120807_082503.jpg

His fire shrimp and skunk shrimp died. Clownfish and Royal Gramma are still alive. I made 3-4 gallons of water for him so he's going to do a WC in an hour or so. Wish we could have done the WC last night (we did 10%) but he ran out of water.

I think the better option would have been renting a sea hare for a few days...

Any chance you can shake a couple rocks in a zip lock and save me the cooties that come out? I really want some, my sand bed is a bit deep in some areas.

Sure. As long as I am still alive by the end of this day. fingerscrossed

That means I have to scrape the walls of my tank and take pictures, then upload... it's summertime, it's lazy time. Permanent siesta from June-September.

Wait, you were doing an under saturated kalk drip? No wonder nothing was happening. Haha. Who told you to do a kalk drip?

I think the better option would have been renting a sea hare for a few days...

Oh so the frags aren't fragged yet?

KALK: I followed the directions on the package and did a drip, yes. I didn't have an ATO reservoir till Saturday, I was using a gallon water jug with an open top.

Didn't think of the sea hare, might go that route after the tank stabilizes. As of right now he's lost the royal gramma, fire shrimp and skunk cleaner.

jedimasterben

11pm last night

IMG_20120806_224451.jpg

8am today

IMG_20120807_082503.jpg

:(

Honestly, if his nitrate was crazy high, I'm surprised that lasted as long as they did. Still sad though. :(

I would have him make a huge batch of water, 20 gallons or so at least and do a huge change. Will definitely help out with the issues and make it a bit easier to get back on track.

thread-whip-pink.jpg

Please tell me I'm next. ;)

Nano sapiens
KALK: I followed the directions on the package and did a drip, yes. I didn't have an ATO reservoir till Saturday, I was using a gallon water jug with an open top.

BTW - Kalkwasser should always be kept in a sealed container. If not, the interaction with CO2 in the air will start to cause insoluble calcium carbonate to form in the container.

:(

Honestly, if his nitrate was crazy high, I'm surprised that lasted as long as they did. Still sad though. :(

I would have him make a huge batch of water, 20 gallons or so at least and do a huge change. Will definitely help out with the issues and make it a bit easier to get back on track.

Please tell me I'm next. ;)

I'm making all his water ATM. So ill try to make him 10Gs more for today.

BTW - Kalkwasser should always be kept in a sealed container. If not, the interaction with CO2 in the air will start to cause insoluble calcium carbonate to form in the container.

Dont bother....SHE WONT LISTEN.

Which is why I used a gravity drip and didn't put it in my open ATO.

Dont bother....SHE WONT LISTEN.

I've not only listened but followed every suggestion you gave me. Sometimes things you suggest work only for chipmunks. If you would listen to me you would still have clams that are alive. So there.

Please print a retraction before I come over there and make you.

Oh so the frags aren't fragged yet?

The frags are fragged... They're just effin huge now since they've been on my sandbed since the last frag swap. Paly's grow like mad in my dirty waters.

Though, now that I think about it, I probably could cut up one of my barnacle clusters and sell that as frags, since the paly's took that thing over.

The instructions on the package are dumb. Whoever wrote them deserves a whipping.

Didn't think of the sea hare, might go that route after the tank stabilizes. As of right now he's lost the royal gramma, fire shrimp and skunk cleaner.

If you go the sea hare route, just make sure your buddy siphons out the poopies so the waste actually makes it out of the tank.

jedimasterben
I'm making all his water ATM. So ill try to make him 10Gs more for today.

Hold it and build it up instead of doing a 10g change today and maybe 10g another day - do one large change and then smaller changes after.

Hold it and build it up instead of doing a 10g change today and maybe 10g another day - do one large change and then smaller changes after.

10 more by tonight is a total of ~18G in less than 24 hours.

The tank is only 29G without rocks and sand.

The need of the moment is to reduce organics and crap as much as possible, I don't think mechanical or biological filtration can keep up with the swamp that is in the tank. Also too much larger of a change can shock the system further.

Which is why I used a gravity drip and didn't put it in my open ATO.

I've not only listened but followed every suggestion you gave me. Sometimes things you suggest work only for chipmunks. If you would listen to me you would still have clams that are alive. So there.

Please print a retraction before I come over there and make you.

Oh Batgirl, this will hurt me more than it will you, but you have brought this upon yourself. Now I am forced to trash your thread with pictures of my LIVE HEALTHY HAPPY CLAMS. I am very sorry. You have left me no alternative.

newmax1.jpg

shsq.jpg

new56d.jpg

deresa.jpg

bunnyv.jpg

Edited by ZephNYC
jedimasterben
10 more by tonight is a total of ~18G in less than 24 hours.

The tank is only 29G without rocks and sand.

The need of the moment is to reduce organics and crap as much as possible, I don't think mechanical or biological filtration can keep up with the swamp that is in the tank. Also too much larger of a change can shock the system further.

What kind of corals are in the system? I see softies from the pics, I don't think that they would be harmed from a larger change, especially if the temperature is rather close, along with the pH.

Say nitrate is 70ppm and phosphate is 1.0ppm as of yesterday before the water change. A 4g change in a 29g tank will take them down to 60ppm and 0.86ppm, respectively. The second change, I'm assuming around 5g, will take them down to 49ppm and 0.71ppm, respectively. Then the 10g change today will take them down to 32ppm and 0.47ppm, respectively. Each water change will become less effective, if that makes any sense, and if he is feeding the tank, the levels may not go down at all, especially if the algae in the tank now starts dying and decaying from the peroxide dips. So larger water changes are necessary to bring levels down effectively over the course of, say, a week, instead of a month it would take it to get it down to normal levels for a reef tank.

One 20g change would have taken the 70ppm and 1.0ppm readings to 22ppm and 0.31ppm, respectively, and a second 20g change a couple of days later would bring them down to 7ppm and 0.09ppm, respectively. It would be much easier on the livestock to maintain these levels until the algae issues have subsided than it would be to slowly lower them with small changes.

Also taking a brush to the rocks that have GHA on them will remove a good bit of it from getting back in the tank to break down or be eaten and turned into poo, that will help quite a bit, too.

At any rate, the tank looks worlds better than it did even after you did the work on it, so keep at it. :)

All healthy heterosexual men DO. THATS THE LAW.

+1

My clam's name is Squishy. Cause she's my clam. And she's squishy.

Oh Batgirl, this will hurt me more than it will you, but you have brought this upon yourself. Now I am forced to trash your thread with pictures of my LIVE HEALTHY HAPPY CLAMS. I am very sorry. You have left me no alternative.

so purdy! I see MY chromis you fish napper! I also see MY Bunny the clam, you clam napper!

What kind of corals are in the system? I see softies from the pics, I don't think that they would be harmed from a larger change, especially if the temperature is rather close, along with the pH.

Also taking a brush to the rocks that have GHA on them will remove a good bit of it from getting back in the tank to break down or be eaten and turned into poo, that will help quite a bit, too.

At any rate, the tank looks worlds better than it did even after you did the work on it, so keep at it. :)

He has softies and LPS only. I'm personally not worried about his corals, only his 2 remaining fish.

I'll ask him to scrub the rocks.

Thanks Ben.

And here's the little blue squamosa, who shall be named Kat, that Zeph is about to get

It's wittle

524297_440452059332878_1812551756_n.jpg