Cultivated Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

EEKS! Zeph should run and hide.

From the advanced aquarist.

Corrections for Zone 4 (when Alk is low and Calc is high)

I would advise correcting this problem by adding an alkalinity supplement until you have moved into the target zone.

Many commercial alkalinity supplements will also be fine for this purpose, as long as no significant calcium is added. In general, I don’t prefer those that contain substantial borate. The alkalinity component of the two-part calcium and alkalinity additive systems would be OK. You CANNOT use limewater or a calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactor to correct this problem. Any of the balanced calcium and alkalinity additive systems will move you parallel to the line at the left edge of the zone, while you want to move over to it, and cross it.

I said that when your dkh was like..15..I cant keep up.!!!

...BUT JUST FOR THAT, I AM GOING TO SHOW PEOPLE YOUR REAL PICTURE.

nerds11.jpg

:rolleyes:

I've asked zeph to come over here and kill my internet. He's supposed to take lessons from his rabbit and use his teeth and rip the cable off.

:unsure:

She has chewed through THREE ethernet cables so far!!

I sensed my name come up in this thread. Hi Zeph :D

Zeph, pics now!

Yes darling, anything for you..

87425917.jpg

George clooney meets Sylvester Stallone?

why did you have to bring me into it? :tears:

Is that a back crack?

At what point is it no longer considered butt hairs?

albertthiel
I'd be interested to hear what everyone thinks everyone else looks like on N-R. I'm always looking for clues based on what I can see in the backgrounds of tank pics.

I notice that a lot of users post a pic of themselves in the ID part of the forum, but then there are lots and lots of them who do not, and what I find interesting is that it is sometimes hard to figure out whether the avatar is for a female or a male .. for some it is obvious but for quite a few it is not at all .. :)

albertthiel
OMG. Alright I'm cracking down on my thread. No more random images.

Don't make me get out my beating stick!

+1 Kat .... Hit'm with your stick if they continue to do so ...

stick.png

This is for Zeph

doghouses.jpg

Becasue

I said that when your dkh was like..15..I cant keep up.!!!

The article I quotes said DON'T USE KALK TO CORRECT my specific tank issue.

I've quoted below when you said the OPPOSITE.

Kalk has a magical way of balancing things out, as if the powers above ( or below ?) created it just for our reef tanks. 99.9% of those that I KNOW use it as 100% of their top off water, and in my opinion that should be your goal. Kats system seems to have a very low calcium consumption. If I was her I would use a REGULAR SALT without an inflated calcium ration, like instant ocean, and use kalk as all top off water. She may never need to use a buffer. Kalk can do it all. Use Brightwell Kalk+2 and youll never have to add magnesium or strontium ever again either, and no extra chlorides.

Oh Batgirl, If I didnt care so much about you I wouldnt care what you do. The only pet peave I have about Kalk is most guys use open containers, and sure it will still work, but youll get a messy crusty water surface in your reservior, not to mention the small but measurable conversion to carbonates that takes place in that process. But far better that than no kalk at all.

Lets try it this way - I WANT kat to use kalk, and it has nothing to do with her calcium levels, which

have already been permanently scard onto all of our brains. She has had DKH issues, which I believe have been corrected, so now is a good time for her to incorporate KALK for a zillion reasons besides calcium. Im pretty sure those reasons have been covered, so i will end it at that..but if some are un aware, increased skimmer performance, more po4 removal from skimmer, calcium/dkh harmony - for starters.

Precisely the reason I dont like any calcium except Kalk. NO CHLORIDES

Yall never listen at first, get 30 other opinions, change your mind 67 times, and eventually do what I very first said anyway.

When Kat told me her DKH was 15 I told her she would REALLY be fly if she could keep it there. Mine is always 10 - 11and when I get my doser and kalk reactor hooked up It will be higher...hopefully.

Dont get your bat panties in a bunch...you simply were not using enough. You need a super saturated solution of at least 3 tsp per gallon. Thats when the magic happensssss.

This is like the zillionth time I am tellin you this, and hopefully the LAST. You say I am thick headed, but how many times have I told you to add MORE KALK!!!!! You are using 1.5 tsp / gal...I told you to use 3. You are using HALF THE DOSE and wondering why its not working.

Yes darling, anything for you..

87425917.jpg

ooh look at you all handsome B) Where's Alto?

Oh man, this thread got totally trashed........again.

I sure am glad my thread is only reef related and has no BS in it.

You can relieve the boredom anytime over here!

Holy bat cr*p Batgirl! When Im all finished with my gym and my attorneys today I will address your tank issues. Didnt you keep me up late enough last night?

Edited by ZephNYC
jedimasterben
Quick Stats after a 10% water change last night, and all dosing halted.

Calcium 470+

dKH 8.0

Magnesium $1350+

Ph 8.0

I'm back to my baseline.

egyptian.gif

flash6.gif

surgicalsense

Hello from Abq ... my tank made the move successfully. I did lose two corals <_< all my fish and inverts made it.

Your tank is looking happy and healthy.

Hello from Abq ... my tank made the move successfully. I did lose two corals <_< all my fish and inverts made it.

Your tank is looking happy and healthy.

SS! Oh I'm so happy for you, two corals in a move that big is a huge relief I bet. I would have checked the contents every few miles, just a 4 hour trip from Mr Coral with frags had me all nervous (I guess with good reason since I lost most of those corals anyway, pffft).

How hot is it?

Quick Stats after a 10% water change last night, and all dosing halted.

Calcium 470+

dKH 8.0

Magnesium $1350+

Ph 8.0

I'm back to my baseline.

egyptian.gif

if you started dosing a saturated solution of kalk RIGHT NOW your system would probably remain stable. If you started dosing your half wimpy solution you will run into troubles again. More later Batgirl....

surgicalsense
SS! Oh I'm so happy for you, two corals in a move that big is a huge relief I bet. I would have checked the contents every few miles, just a 4 hour trip from Mr Coral with frags had me all nervous (I guess with good reason since I lost most of those corals anyway, pffft).

How hot is it?

Hot! I have been in the high 90's ... but we have had some rain, I have been told it is monsoon season right now :huh: the rain and thunder does not mess around here. It will not cool down here until November, then we get snow.

I had my son with me during the drive. Basically I schooled him with a quick lesson with what to look for and we did constant temp checks the whole way. He also made sure the coral and fish were okay and not crushed by any shifting LR. Tyler did a awesome job acting out his role as the assistant transporter :lol:

if you started dosing a saturated solution of kalk RIGHT NOW your system would probably remain stable. If you started dosing your half wimpy solution you will run into troubles again. More later Batgirl....

+1

Hot! I have been in the high 90's ... but we have had some rain, I have been told it is monsoon season right now :huh: the rain and thunder does not mess around here. It will not cool down here until November, then we get snow.

I had my son with me during the drive. Basically I schooled him with a quick lesson with what to look for and we did constant temp checks the whole way. He also made sure the coral and fish were okay and not crushed by any shifting LR. Tyler did a awesome job acting out his role as the assistant transporter :lol:

Do you have a fan or chiller on the tank ? Tyler sounds like he needs a tank of his own! :D

surgicalsense
Do you have a fan or chiller on the tank ? Tyler sounds like he needs a tank of his own! :D

No, I am not going to get one. Pretty much what I am doing with the issue is this. The house here that we are in has a swamp cooler on the roof. The placement of my tank is on the back wall of the living room. There is no direct sunlight and it is centrally placed so if the temp of the house is kept at 69 to 72 the tank temp remains stable at 81 - 83 the most. This is with the lights on also. Of course during the winter months here, I will just toss the heater back in as usual.

I still have to get to mixing water :huh: ... I am going to the LFT today to gather some more intel on what the folks here do B)

Facebook is effin scary... Zeph just popped up on my "people you may know" list. Apparently he's got 3 friends (or that's all I see), and none of them are mutual. How the hell do you do this, facebook?! We've never emailed each other... My only guess is it's searching through my recent texts on my phone to match numbers with profiles?

Facebook is effin scary... Zeph just popped up on my "people you may know" list. Apparently he's got 3 friends (or that's all I see), and none of them are mutual. How the hell do you do this, facebook?! We've never emailed each other... My only guess is it's searching through my recent texts on my phone to match numbers with profiles?

Dunno, he's not on my FB.

altolamprologus

My god this thread moves fast. It's impossible to leave it for more than a few hours.

Zeph, thanks for the pic :) I didn't think you would actually post one.

kgoldy, facebook knows everything. It watches you 24/7. Just you though, it leaves everyone else alone.

My god this thread moves fast. It's impossible to leave it for more than a few hours.

Zeph, thanks for the pic :) I didn't think you would actually post one.

kgoldy, facebook knows everything. It watches you 24/7. Just you though, it leaves everyone else alone.

Hiya Alto,

I never would have, but Kat went first and well...you did ask. And how could I possibly refuse after you gave me the honor of quoting me in your siggy line. I LOVE IT. THanks babe. B)

That really seems IMPOSSIBLE to me!!?? We have never done ANYTHING but a few PM's on NR. I dont FB.at all.

Edit: oh yea..and a few txts

Edited by ZephNYC
That really seems IMPOSSIBLE to me!!?? We have never done ANYTHING but a few PM's on NR. I dont FB.at all.

And Zeph and I talk text PM and email all day long and I've never found him on FB. :o

Speaking of which, I called you! Your blue squamosa is on hold under my name.

And Zeph and I talk text PM and email all day long and I've never found him on FB. :o

Speaking of which, I called you! Your blue squamosa is on hold under my name.

You did ?? Sorry, Im in the dungeon.

AWESOME!!! I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!! BLUE SQUAMOSAAAAAAAA!!!! YAYYYYYY!!!!

So what should I name it?