Top Shelf Aquatics

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope
Wow, great update! Can you pist a pic of your sump though because it looks like I will need the same tank under my Solana 34! I would love to get ideas on how you did the sump!

Thanks kveekx!

There's a SkethUp of it here.. What's missing from the SketchUp model is a hole towards the bottom of one of the baffles going from the fuge to the return. That way, the fuge also serves as a resovior for the return. I don't have an ATO. So, this helps to prevent running the return pump dry when I get a lot of evaporation. Currently, I moved my fuge to the middle chamber in the back because I have the skimmer in the large area in the front. The downside to that is that the water is never at the same level. So, my skimmer goes from wet to dry mode from the beginning to the end of the day.

This is a pic of the sump from back in July:

sump20120725.jpg

This is the Mr. Aqua 12 inch cube. Honestly, go with a bigger sump if you can. There's simply not enough water in this thing. The equipment is too tightly packed and my baffles aren't far enough apart or staggered high/low enough to be very efficient. With your 34 gallon, you should have a couple more inches under your stand. Try to get a bigger tank for your sump.

Awesome update Mr. Microscope. I want you clowns!!!!

Thanks jball!

Fantastic! Amazing pictures. I'm in love with just about everything :wub:

Thanks Gramophone!

All I can say is Wow ... looking super ...

Thanks Albert!

Wow, thanks for the update. Growth pictures are a huge help to understand how things are evolving. I love watching the unknown frags from a LFS color up. I have two of them in my 40 and still no idea what they will end up looking like.

Mr. Microscope
Wow, thanks for the update. Growth pictures are a huge help to understand how things are evolving. I love watching the unknown frags from a LFS color up. I have two of them in my 40 and still no idea what they will end up looking like.

Thanks markalot! I love progress shots too. That teal one is showing signs of purple as well. So, who knows what it will end up looking like. Can't wait to see how your SPS colors up. Take close-up shots of those corals and post them on your thread. Let's speculate!

Wow! Holy crap and holey moley!!! What an update! Job well done. I forgot just how beautiful this tank is!!!!

Thanks Spiro! I appreciate that. I spent way too long making this update. Haha! Between all the photography, image processing, and writing, I easily spent hours. It's all fun though. :)

Thanks markalot! I love progress shots too. That teal one is showing signs of purple as well. So, who knows what it will end up looking like. Can't wait to see how your SPS colors up. Take close-up shots of those corals and post them on your thread. Let's speculate!

Done! I just happened to have a few shots. :)

Thanks for the indepth responce! I will probablly ry a bigger sump but it will only add a few gallons. I will have to do a acrylic diy to do that though. Your sketch up will help me het an idea on how to do a cube sump! Thanks again!

Mr. Microscope
Mr. Microscope - Your corals look great, 2012.04.16 - 2012.11.14 I see growth and alot of additions. lol.

What are you dosing with?

Thanks rkum19! I use Kent Reef Salt to make my water. It has great stats from the beginning. I think Ca is like 480, Mg is ??..good (don't remember), and Alk is like 11! I don't need to dose elements on that end yet. What is am using however, is sodium ascorbate (buffered vitamin C), and Salifert Coralline Aminos. I need to give it more time, but I think they're helping.

Done! I just happened to have a few shots. :)

Fun fun~!

Thanks for the indepth responce! I will probablly ry a bigger sump but it will only add a few gallons. I will have to do a acrylic diy to do that though. Your sketch up will help me het an idea on how to do a cube sump! Thanks again!

No problem! Half the reason we do these things is to contribute to the knowledge of the masses: "don't make this mistake", "this is working for me", etc.

I can't wait to see how you improve on the design (there's plenty of room for improvement ;):lol: ). Good luck with acrylic. 'Looking forward to seeing more of your build!

Mr. Microscope
I like the pulsing coral pic. It's like it is dancing or something lol.

As a former raver..thank you. ;):lol: I was going for stereo 3D without stereo.

Mr. Microscope
Mr. Microscope your tank is looking amazing. Really liked the growth photos and the dramatic growth you have had in the past few months.

Thanks pj! I had a lot of fun making those images.

lol, nice baby with the new update.

Thanks IIX! I can't wait for the day when he requests his own little tank. Then, it's pico time!

• 2 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope
Your corals look like they have colored up very nicely! Very well done tank!

Thanks swc! I'm working hard on it.

Did you ever solve that issue you had with the check valve that you posted to my thread and to which I gave you a long answer ... just wondering ...

You can check the Content of my New Book Here if you wish

Well, it's in the plans for the next tank. Thanks Albert. The book looks great! I'll have to let Mrs. Clause know about it for a stocking stuffer.

Awesome tank and awesome progress!! Congrats on the little guy!

Thanks josh! He's a handful, but a lot of fun.

i really hope my bonsai branches and doesn't encrust like yours did. I really like that coral.

regardless, this tank is amazing! :D

I think the best way to do it might be to not give it any real estate to encrust. Keep it away from the display. If it wants to grow, it'll have to grow up.