Coral Vue Hydros

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Very cool! I'll have to find those pics. I don't think a yuma could possibly eat a goby.

Edit: Found 'em. Post 3323. Cute fish! Looks like you have the same yumas I do. You gotta get some blue lights in your tank Albert! LOL!

Na'h as hard as they tried, I don't think the asterina would fit in it's mouth. It was very big for an asterina; it was a seven leg one. Maybe if the other yuma hadn't tried to pull it out, it would have eventually dissolved and eaten it. IDK

Yes that's the one and the fish goes into the Yumas and just rests on them a few times a day and the Yumas do not even react.

On the lights ... yes I need to get some Actinic over the tank for sure, or maybe one of those LED strip lights that I recently saw at my LFS .. looks like X-mas lights but inside the plastic or whatever it is there are LED's or similar of different colors and some are blue indeed. Guess I'll have to try and find those.

On the Asterina: yes a bit large for the Yuma ... and a seven leg .. wow .. that's not the usual one, must have been a gigormous one.

Mr. Microscope
Yes that's the one and the fish goes into the Yumas and just rests on them a few times a day and the Yumas do not even react.

On the lights ... yes I need to get some Actinic over the tank for sure, or maybe one of those LED strip lights that I recently saw at my LFS .. looks like X-mas lights but inside the plastic or whatever it is there are LED's or similar of different colors and some are blue indeed. Guess I'll have to try and find those.

On the Asterina: yes a bit large for the Yuma ... and a seven leg .. wow .. that's not the usual one, must have been a gigormous one.

I'm a DIY guy myself, but I've heard good things about the ecoexotic stunner strips used for supplemental lighting color. I think you can get ones that are just royal blue and blue.

I'm a DIY guy myself, but I've heard good things about the ecoexotic stunner strips used for supplemental lighting color. I think you can get ones that are just royal blue and blue.

Thanks and I'll have a look at it. Was at the LFS this morning and got a Reefbrite LED Moon light, 1 LED 3 watt, blue, its mounted in a flat metallic square case that is about 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches.

Very blue ... but with the 2 100 watt equivalent CFT's 6500K I cannot see much blue in the tank but I may not be able to see that spectrum

Wonder whether it will do anything for color and for the corals, that is after I figure out how to mount it above the tank : - )

Mr. Microscope
Where did you get those Yumas? They are sweet!

'Frag swap in Milwaukee last year. I spotted them from across the room, peaked my head in between a huge crowd of people browsing the livestock, and sniped 'em before anyone else could make up their mind. It was the quickest transaction I've ever made for a coral. 'Felt like I was stealing a cab from someone. LOL!

'Frag swap in Milwaukee last year. I spotted them from across the room, peaked my head in between a huge crowd of people browsing the livestock, and sniped 'em before anyone else could make up their mind. It was the quickest transaction I've ever made for a coral. 'Felt like I was stealing a cab from someone. LOL!

Good for you, and I agree when one sees something one likes, speed in buying is of the essence as beating all the others who are looking at the same selection might snatch them before you can.

They are really nice looking (and yes I seem to have the same ones). Wish they did drop some babies too :-)

Mr. Microscope

Update 2012.09.17

Hello All,

Again, I’m overdue for a monthly update on my system. To start out, here’s the latest FTS:

FTS0220120917.jpg

As, you can see I recently took down the Anacropora from it’s spot on top of the pillar next to the Palmer’s Blue Milli. It was directly in front of the MP10. The sensitive SPS was getting it’s flesh torn off by the laminar flow. Also, I had moved a smaller piece of it several weeks ago and that piece seemed much happier (better color and polyp extension). So, I figured the rest of the colony needed to get moved as well. Unfortunately, I was unable to remove the whole colony at once. There are now several pieces of Anacropora sticking out the side of the pillar. They seem to be dramatically improving in health.

It’s been about a month and a half since I installed the Finnex heat controller. So far, so good! I realize my tank has been swinging quite a bit on warmer days. As the weather gets cooler though, I expect that to level off.

Several months ago I saw a post on reefbuilders about Salifert Coralline Amino Acids. I decided to give it a shot. Right now I’m using about a half dose. The directions say 5mL/25 gallons once per week. I’m adding 3mL to my water change batches and am two weeks into the trial. ‘Haven’t noticed any difference yet, but I’ll keep posting about it.

Probably the biggest addition I’ve made to my tank in a while is starting an Acan garden. Yes, I finally go the acan bug! I’ve had one colony of red ones for a while and have been impressed with their growth and how fun they are to feed. So, I thought I’d take the plunge. I’ve acquired some rainbow pieces (Thanks Windy City Reefs!) and slowly established them with some dry and live rubble. Here it is. I can’t wait to watch it fill in.

AcanGarden0120120917.jpg

The rainbows really pop with blue LED’s.

acans20120917.jpg

Finally, I just figured out how to use the macro function on my seven year old P&S. LOL! Here are my first attempts. The top-down look the best, but I couldn’t use my tripod for them. So, they’re a little shakey.

Calitort20120917.jpg

Candlelight20120917.jpg

Macro0220120917.jpg

This guy is really starting to get big.

Birdnest0120120917.jpg

GreeenSPS20120917.jpg

RedPlanet20120917.jpg

I recently remounted the stylo to the back wall. It was getting crowded out by the green birdsnest and milli.

Stylo20120917.jpg

I’m really happy about this shot as it is the first time I’ve been able to capture the true colors of this beauty. For some reason, the blue/purple always looked grey in pics. I guess top-down is the way to go for this one.

PalmersBlue0120120917.jpg

Derasa20120917.jpg

macro0120120917.jpg

Not a macro shot, but kinda a neat reflection shot. Also, there’s a neat rainbow on the glass. I think this comes from the LED’s. Looks like I need some cyan.

reflectionrainbow20120917.jpg

Edited by Mr. Microscope
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope
Nice Clam!

I got some Acans too, I really like the colors you can get. Salt Critters is cheap and they have some really nice pieces, large selection

Brian

Hey Brian!

Wow, they really do have some nice stuff at great prices. Thanks for the suggestion! I got my acan from Windycityreefs.com. They probably have some of the nicest cherries I've seen in a long time!

Edited by Mr. Microscope

Wow, amazing photos! I love your clam, I added a clam to my tank this weekend they really are beautiful creatures. Love the birdsnest, I really need to find a few frags of some locally so I can start my own colony.

The layout of your tank is excelent, I'm kind of trying to duplicate the look of the SPS on top, zoas and acans below look on the right island of my tank. Hopefully it will look as nice as yours does soon.

Are you using a topdown box to take your shots? I definitely need to make one so I can take some nice pics from above.

Update 2012.09.17

Hello All,

Again, I’m overdue for a monthly update on my system. To start out, here’s the latest FTS:

Very nice and good shots too ...

Mr. Microscope
Wow, amazing photos! I love your clam, I added a clam to my tank this weekend they really are beautiful creatures. Love the birdsnest, I really need to find a few frags of some locally so I can start my own colony.

The layout of your tank is excelent, I'm kind of trying to duplicate the look of the SPS on top, zoas and acans below look on the right island of my tank. Hopefully it will look as nice as yours does soon.

Are you using a topdown box to take your shots? I definitely need to make one so I can take some nice pics from above.

Thanks pyronus!

Those birdsnests grow FAST! It was the size of most of my other frags about six months ago. It's now creeping up on becoming the largest SPS in my tank. Good luck with your 20H! I really like what you have going there. Amazing Red Planet colony BTW! Keep it up!

For top-down, I just have some acrylic with some raised edges that I float on top. Easy as π!

Very nice and good shots too ...

Thanks Albert!

Edited by Mr. Microscope
Mr. Microscope
Your pics finally loaded for me! LOVE THEM ALL!

Think you need some more clams though... <_<

Thanks obi! Sorry if the image files are too big. I have been thinking about a maxima, but my sandbed is already too crowded IMO. The derasa is growing fast.

OH man! I love yer pics!

Thanks Spiro! More to come!

Thanks obi! Sorry if the image files are too big. I have been thinking about a maxima, but my sandbed is already too crowded IMO. The derasa is growing fast.

I don't think they are too big (heck, the last page of my thread loads about 100MB of photos :lol:), I think my internet was just being dumb. :)

I've got a 4-5" crocea and 3.5" squamosa right now on my sandbed, and next week I will be adding a 4" derasa and a 1.5" maxima, my LFS sells the ORA clams for stupid cheap. I don't know how LiveAquaria gets away with selling them for so much!

What size was the derasa when you got him, and what is he at now?

Mr. Microscope
I don't think they are too big (heck, the last page of my thread loads about 100MB of photos :lol:), I think my internet was just being dumb. :)

I've got a 4-5" crocea and 3.5" squamosa right now on my sandbed, and next week I will be adding a 4" derasa and a 1.5" maxima, my LFS sells the ORA clams for stupid cheap. I don't know how LiveAquaria gets away with selling them for so much!

What size was the derasa when you got him, and what is he at now?

It was 3 inches when I got it. 'Probably about 5 now. So, the size of a small Nerf football when fully opened.

Yeah, this is one of the ORA derasas.

Edited by Mr. Microscope

I really need to find some local Seriatopora, or you could just you know, ship me your whole colony :D

I was inspired by your top down shots and tried some of my own, they came out pretty good!

Mr. Microscope
Awesome setup and great pics. Do you spot feed the cloves, and if so what, if I may ask?

I think the cloves are more of a passive feeder. I've never spot fed them like I do my acans and some others. Occasionally, I'll put some cyclope-eze, phyto, or oyster feast in the tank. I think everything benefits from that. My biggest challenge with the clove polyps is keeping algae out of the base. It's really hard to pick out because the cloves are so delicate. I moved them about two months ago to a place where they are getting a little more light and they seem to be growing quite well. I have a whole bunch of babies popping up around the colony. IMO, they like medium light and low flow.

Edited by Mr. Microscope
I think the cloves are more of a passive feeder. I've never spot fed them like I do my acans and some others. Occasionally, I'll put some cyclope-eze, phyto, or oyster feast in the tank. I think everything benefits from that. My biggest challenge with the clove polyps is keeping algae out of the base. It's really hard to pick out because the cloves are so delicate. I moved them about two months ago to a place where they are getting a little more light and they seem to be growing quite well. I have a whole bunch of babies popping up around the colony. IMO, they like medium light and low flow.

Although not aggressive IME they can damage Zoas ... odd as they are pretty sensitive themselves but seem to be able to sting zoas enough so they melt or die IME.

FWIW

Mr. Microscope
Although not aggressive IME they can damage Zoas ... odd as they are pretty sensitive themselves but seem to be able to sting zoas enough so they melt or die IME.

FWIW

Seriously?!! Clove polyps?!! Geeze, I had no idea. I figured they were as dossile as an acan. Perhaps it's those long tendrils they grow to try to spread the colony to other rocks. Thanks Albert.

Seriously?!! Clove polyps?!! Geeze, I had no idea. I figured they were as dossile as an acan. Perhaps it's those long tendrils they grow to try to spread the colony to other rocks. Thanks Albert.

Acans are the same way, really. I've got acans that have hurt euphyllia corals when the tentacles touched the acan. :scarry: