Pod Your Reef

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Ah..thanks!

WOW! That had to be a sight. Very cool. Those blue eyes are a striking little fish. I'll have to do some research on them as well. Thanks Albert!

They appear to be very peaceful and non-aggressive based on what I could find.

On another note I discovered an article on a new strain or species of the Banggai Cardinal and posted info on it on my page with pictures

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry4002700

Interesting if we can get one of those !

Mr. Microscope
They appear to be very peaceful and non-aggressive based on what I could find.

On another note I discovered an article on a new strain or species of the Banggai Cardinal and posted info on it on my page with pictures

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...p;#entry4002700

Interesting if we can get one of those !

Awesome! I think I saw the panda bangaii on one of the reef blogs a few weeks ago. I've been wondering about the availability on those as well. Maybe they'll be around in time for my next tank. LOL!

• Like 1
Awesome! I think I saw the panda bangaii on one of the reef blogs a few weeks ago. I've been wondering about the availability on those as well. Maybe they'll be around in time for my next tank. LOL!

Yes hopefully so.. have not seen them for sale yet though ... but then I must admit that I did not look for them very hard.

Enough fish in my 20 for now : - )

Very nice looking though.

Mr. Microscope

The day has finally come! Both of my clowns are now hosting the yellow torch. They're starting to demonstrate dominant behavior with one another as well. Exciting~!

th_ClownsHostingTorch.jpg

Edited by Mr. Microscope
The day has finally come! Both of my clowns are now hosting the yellow torch. They're starting to demonstrate dominant behavior with one another as well. Exciting~!

th_ClownsHostingTorch.jpg

Nice but some say that when Clowns host them they can cause damage to them .. that may be anecdotal but I just wanted to mention it although you probably have read it as well

jedimasterben
Nice but some say that when Clowns host them they can cause damage to them .. that may be anecdotal but I just wanted to mention it although you probably have read it as well

It actually happens all the time. You may see what looks like small lesions, but they are, simply, burn marks from the coral stinging the fish. The fish may or may not be able to build up an immunity to it (most do over time), only time will tell.

Mr. Microscope

Yeah, I'm afraid that might have been what happened with my green torch. It recently died. One of the clowns had been hosting it for a time, then it started getting all skinny and eventually withered away. The gold torch however, is a bit larger than the green one was. Also, I've been observing the hosting for a couple weeks now. It seems to be tolerating the clowns so far. Keeping my fingers crossed! fingerscrossed

Yeah, I'm afraid that might have been what happened with my green torch. It recently died. One of the clowns had been hosting it for a time, then it started getting all skinny and eventually withered away. The gold torch however, is a bit larger than the green one was. Also, I've been observing the hosting for a couple weeks now. It seems to be tolerating the clowns so far. Keeping my fingers crossed! fingerscrossed

+1 and I hope nothing happens to that one ... maybe you should try and provide a nem so they go there rather than in the Torch ... just a thought

Mr. Microscope
+1 and I hope nothing happens to that one ... maybe you should try and provide a nem so they go there rather than in the Torch ... just a thought

Well, I kinda have the torch in there purposely for the clowns to host. I'm afraid a nem would wipe out other corals on its way to find a happy spot. Especially since the top of my rock pillar is very dense with corals.

Well, I kinda have the torch in there purposely for the clowns to host. I'm afraid a nem would wipe out other corals on its way to find a happy spot. Especially since the top of my rock pillar is very dense with corals.

Well I guess that kills that option. Guess all you can do now is watch the Torch and hope it can deal with the Clowns.

LOVE your cube! It's come along ways in the last 6 months.

Do you have any plans to get a second Bangaii and breed them? I met a local reefer here in Austin Texas recently that had a pair of Bangaiis in his tank. Male had has mouth full of eggs and a nice urchin home ;). An urchin would probably cause havoc in your tank though. I've seen people make their own fake urchins for bangaii fry to hide in.

Mr. Microscope
LOVE your cube! It's come along ways in the last 6 months.

Thanks ajay!

Do you have any plans to get a second Bangaii and breed them? I met a local reefer here in Austin Texas recently that had a pair of Bangaiis in his tank. Male had has mouth full of eggs and a nice urchin home ;).

Very cool! No, I'm afraid with a pair of clowns already in there, that there would be some territory issues if I got a second bangaii. It's been tempting though, especially since I figured out how to sex them. My tank is very peaceful. So, I don't want to rock the boat. I'm thinking my last fish might be a tailspot blenny if I can find one small enough.

An urchin would probably cause havoc in your tank though. I've seen people make their own fake urchins for bangaii fry to hide in.

I hope to have one some day in a larger tank for some bangaiis. LOLz about a fake urchin!

Mr. Microscope

So, my Yumas have been thriving. They're growing and leaving behind babies as they spread. Yesterday, I found a baby Yuma with two mouths! I'm guessing this is quite rare since I did a search and couldn't find anyone else talking about it (aside from Florida Rics of course). Funny, cause it's oval shaped instead of circular like all the others. Kinda neat!

DoubleYuma.jpg

Edited by Mr. Microscope
So, my Yumas have been thriving. They're growing and leaving behind babies as they spread. Yesterday, I found a baby Yuma with two mouths! I'm guessing this is quite rare since I did a search and couldn't find anyone else talking about it (aside from Florida Rics of course). Funny, cause it's oval shaped instead of circular like all the others. Kinda neat!

DoubleYuma.jpg

Very interesting indeed. Mine are huge and expand to several inches across for about the first 6 hours of lighting and then start to retract, but no "babies" yet.

Have you been feeding them maybe ?

I see mine catch food that drifts around and then sort of form a ball shape as they are ingesting that food I guess, but no offspring (yet).

Odd that the mouths are oval and that one had two of them (maybe that one will split) ...

Mr. Microscope
Very interesting indeed. Mine are huge and expand to several inches across for about the first 6 hours of lighting and then start to retract, but no "babies" yet.

Have you been feeding them maybe ?

I see mine catch food that drifts around and then sort of form a ball shape as they are ingesting that food I guess, but no offspring (yet).

Odd that the mouths are oval and that one had two of them (maybe that one will split) ...

My Yumas move and in their wake leave behind a little green bump that turns into a new yuma.

The mouths are still round. It's the baby yuma itself that is oval. Yeah, I suspect it will split as well.

No. I used to feed them back when I had them in my frag tub, but I haven't really done any target feeding since I moved them into my cube (about 6 months). They've been growing better than ever in the last few months since I established them in a permanent spot. They're in a place with lower current and medium to low intensity lighting.

Here's something funny though. One of them tried to eat a huge asterina when they were back in the frag tub.

yumaeatingasterina02.jpg

Then, they started to fight over it. LOL!

yumaeatingasterina01.jpg

In the end, no one got that meal.

jedimasterben
Here's something funny though. One of them tried to eat a huge asterina when they were back in the frag tub.

yumaeatingasterina02.jpg

Then, they started to fight over it. LOL!

yumaeatingasterina01.jpg

That's awesome! :lol:

Mr. Microscope
Besides have a very cool tank, you always seem to get the cool pics! ;)

Thanks Spiro! I'm always looking for the little details. It's funny how we can notice if something is amiss in our tanks from across the room.

Thanks Spiro! I'm always looking for the little details. It's funny how we can notice if something is amiss in our tanks from across the room.

Ha. I'm pretty good at noticing even the tiny things that go on.........But getting a pic while its happening???? Helllll no. -_-

Mr. Microscope
Ha. I'm pretty good at noticing even the tiny things that go on.........But getting a pic while its happening???? Helllll no. -_-

Lolz. That's why the majority of images I take come from my phone. It's much handier than my P&S.

My Yumas move and in their wake leave behind a little green bump that turns into a new yuma.

The mouths are still round. It's the baby yuma itself that is oval. Yeah, I suspect it will split as well.

No. I used to feed them back when I had them in my frag tub, but I haven't really done any target feeding since I moved them into my cube (about 6 months). They've been growing better than ever in the last few months since I established them in a permanent spot. They're in a place with lower current and medium to low intensity lighting.

That is really a "special" shot and what an unusual occurrence, not the feeding itself, but the fact that one of them tried to get a large Asterina and that the two then had a fight over it ...

Great shot ...

My Citron Goby goes and lies right on them and they do not even attempt to sting or capture him ... odd .. I posted some pics of it on my thread the other day.

Edited by albertthiel
Mr. Microscope
That is really a "special" shot and what an unusual occurrence, not the feeding itself, but the fact that one of them tried to get a large Asterina and that the two then had a fight over it ...

Great shot ...

My Citron Goby goes and lies right on them and they do not even attempt to sting or capture him ... odd .. I posted some pics of it on my thread the other day.

Very cool! I'll have to find those pics. I don't think a yuma could possibly eat a goby.

Edit: Found 'em. Post 3323. Cute fish! Looks like you have the same yumas I do. You gotta get some blue lights in your tank Albert! LOL!

Na'h as hard as they tried, I don't think the asterina would fit in it's mouth. It was very big for an asterina; it was a seven leg one. Maybe if the other yuma hadn't tried to pull it out, it would have eventually dissolved and eaten it. IDK

Edited by Mr. Microscope