inTank Media Baskets

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Thanks flsvedlund! It took me a while to figure it out. Keep your ISO at 80 and fiddle with the Macro function. You can move the plane of focus in and out. Good luck!

Thanks! I'll have to try that. I have one of Canon's "high performance" point and shoots, so it has a lot of functions that I just need to learn how to use better for tank photos. The best way I've figure out to get great macros so far is to put my camera in its water proof case I use for diving and stick it down in the tank, right on top of the coral :lol:

Yay for 300 posts :happydance:

Mr. Microscope
Thanks! I'll have to try that. I have one of Canon's "high performance" point and shoots, so it has a lot of functions that I just need to learn how to use better for tank photos. The best way I've figure out to get great macros so far is to put my camera in its water proof case I use for diving and stick it down in the tank, right on top of the coral :lol:

Yay for 300 posts :happydance:

Yes, top down shots seem to have the best colors, but are also the hardest to keep in focus and to keep the glare of the light source out of the picture. Bonus on your waterproof case though! Very nice!

Other techniques I use include using a tripod, cleaning the glass, and turning off all the pumps. Also, feeding a half hour before a photo-shoot helps to get LPS corals looking extra puffy with they feeders extended.

BTW, if you took that photo in your sig, I'd say you've got the hang of it! ;)

Edited by Mr. Microscope

That's a good idea to feed a bit before to get things looking puffy. I'll have to try that next time. Great advice :)

And yeah, I did take the photo in my sig. That was one I took by sticking the camera in the tank, right on top of the coral to get a decent macro shot. The waterproof case is a great trick, but it almost feels like cheating :lol:

Mr. Microscope
..it almost feels like cheating :lol:

pfft! Cheating is how we keep our coral and tanks alive. What's a skimmer after all (or lighting, or supplements, or frozen food, or even an aquarium! (the list goes on)) ? Haha!

Everything is looking very nice Mr M :)

Thanks NanoTopia!

Here's a new update for you!

NEW FISHY!!!

TS11A.jpg

I finally got that Tailspot Blenny I've been wanting. It's a little bigger than I intended, but he seems to have acclimated well. I got him eating Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets (after they dissolve). The territory he chose is on top of the pillar. I'm really excited about that as no other fish really hang out up there. He found a little hole and stays there most of the time with his little head poking out like a finger puppet. He's also apparently not camera shy. :)

TailspotA.gif

Edited by Mr. Microscope
Mr. Microscope
Too cute! I love how blennies just sit in the rock with their heads poking out. Looks like he's settled himself in well. And nice gif!

Thanks! I took so many pics figuring most would be crap and maybe get one or two good ones (another photography tip BTW and how I get most of my photos! ;) ), but somehow almost all of them turned out. So, 'thought I'd make a fun gif. :lol:

Mr. Microscope
dam i got to get a waterproof case. awesome pics!

Thanks, but I don't have one. flsvedlund is the one with one of those.

Edited by Mr. Microscope
I finally got that Tailspot Blenny I've been wanting. It's a little bigger than I intended, but he seems to have acclimated well. I got him eating Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets (after they dissolve). The territory he chose is on top of the pillar. I'm really excited about that as no other fish really hang out up there. He found a little hole and stays there most of the time with his little head poking out like a finger puppet. He's also apparently not camera shy. :)

TailspotA.gif

How did you manage to post this pic ... ? Nice and interesting ...

Mr. Microscope
How did you manage to post this pic ... ? Nice and interesting ...

It's an animated .gif file. Same as the advertising banners you see on top of the page for the sponsors. I've actually made banners for a few reefing companies. So, this was a breeze.

It's an animated .gif file. Same as the advertising banners you see on top of the page for the sponsors. I've actually made banners for a few reefing companies. So, this was a breeze.

Yes now I understand ... do you use special software to make them? Just wondering ...

Great choice on the blenny!!!

I'm a total techno-ignoramus, so I have no clue how you did that gif thing, but it's soooo cool!

Yes it is indeed isn't it ... wonder what software he used to do it ... I did ask and I'm sure he'll let us know.

Mr. Microscope
Yes now I understand ... do you use special software to make them? Just wondering ...

Just Photoshop.

Great choice on the blenny!!!

I'm a total techno-ignoramus, so I have no clue how you did that gif thing, but it's soooo cool!

Thanks Spiro!

Mr. Microscope
You have made me want to get a blenny now. Just want to thank you :D

My pleasure! They are funny little fish aren't they. I just hope he stays well behaved. A friend of mine got one and had to get rid of it cause it was a jerk.

Just Photoshop.

Wish I had it ... :-( plus the learning curve is a bit steep I believe ... wonder if I can use GIMP on the Mac to achieve the same ... Thanks for the info ...

jedimasterben
Wish I had it ... :-( plus the learning curve is a bit steep I believe ... wonder if I can use GIMP on the Mac to achieve the same ... Thanks for the info ...

GIMP has just as many options as Photoshop, if I remember correctly, it's just totally different to use :P

GIMP has just as many options as Photoshop, if I remember correctly, it's just totally different to use :P

Yes but learning curve too ... but it is Free ! I and I guess there has to be a GIMP for Dummies :)