Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope
Acans are the same way, really. I've got acans that have hurt euphyllia corals when the tentacles touched the acan. :scarry:

Clove polyps hurting zoas, acans stinging euphyllia!? What is this, bizarro world?! :lol:

Clove polyps hurting zoas, acans stinging euphyllia!? What is this, bizarro world?! :lol:

Yes chemical sting warfare ... or if not a sting then by releasing toxins as Leather corals can do ... although I have not seen any effect of it on my corals and I have a 2 head and a single head leather in my 20 ...

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

A while back, a friend gave me an Urchin that came in as a hitchhiker on an SPS colony (Thanks poidog!). Please chime in if you have a positive ID on this guy. I eagerly took it (relatively confident it wasn't a rock-borer) and acclimated it to my tank. It's been in there a couple months, but I hardly ever see it. It's quite small and from what I can tell, nocturnal. The few times I have seen it has been while the lights were out. Yesterday, I finally saw it with the lights on and was able to get a few good shots! It seems to have grown a little since I first got it. Check it out!

Urchin01A_zpsf9fed4b4.jpg

Urchin03B_zps72e412d9.jpg

Edited by Mr. Microscope
Hello All,

A while back, a friend gave me an Urchin that came in as a hitchhiker on an SPS colony (Thanks poidog!). Please chime in if you have a positive ID on this guy. I eagerly took it (relatively confident it wasn't a rock-borer) and acclimated it to my tank. It's been in there a couple months, but I hardly ever see it. It's quite small and from what I can tell, nocturnal. The few times I have seen it has been while the lights were out. Yesterday, I finally saw it with the lights on and was able to get a few good shots! It seems to have grown a little since I first got it. Check it out!

Not sure I can see it very well but does it look like this one (Pencil Urchin)

pencilU.png

Mr. Microscope
Not sure I can see it very well but does it look like this one (Pencil Urchin)

pencilU.png

My friend poidog just posted to me that he thinks it's an Echinometra Viridis. Google image search seems to back it up as well. The wiki page is educational.

Mr. Microscope

I figured out a few more tricks for using the macro function on my P&S. 'Got the tripod back out and took a few more shots. Enjoy!

AO0320121001.jpg

Blasto0120121001.jpg

UT0220121001.jpg

EHB20121001.jpg

JD20120930.jpg

JD0120121001.jpg

Orange20121001.jpg

These all came from the same colony, but have morphed into three different varieties.

Pinks0220121001.jpg

Pinks0420121001.jpg

Pinks0320121001.jpg

BYE!

HC0120121001.jpg

I figured out a few more tricks for using the macro function on my P&S. 'Got the tripod back out and took a few more shots. Enjoy!

Great looking and YES I enjoyed the pics for sure ... Tank looks top top top ....

Those are very nice photos from a P&S, I am also learning to get nice macros from mine but without a tripod its more difficult.

Great build BTW.

Mr. Microscope
Really nice macro shots. Im interested in knowing what setting you use when you shoot your tank in actinic lighting. What kind of a camera do you use?

I have a Cannon PowerShot A540 6MP that I got about seven years ago. 'Still seems to work well. There is an underwater setting on the camera that helps to filter out some blue, but I also use ISO 80 which helps with color and noise. It really helps to have the tripod when shooting at that speed cause any flinch makes the pic blurry. Also, I post process the images with Aperture and Photoshop to get them as close to real life color as possible.

I am also wondering what camera! Also whats P&S?

P&S stands for Point and Shoot as opposed to a fancy DSLR (wish I had the budget for one of those!).

Those are very nice photos from a P&S, I am also learning to get nice macros from mine but without a tripod its more difficult.

Great build BTW.

Good luck! It's a whole new fun aspect of the hobby (Reefing is like a million hobbies rolled into one!). I just checked out your tank thread. Looks like you're starting to get the hang of it too.

Here's a cheap alternative to a tripod:

Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Evanstonian Reefer. What LFS do you usually frequent around here? I am fairly new to this hobby and have been using Old Orchard Aquariums.

Mr. Microscope
Just wanted to say hi to a fellow Evanstonian Reefer. What LFS do you usually frequent around here? I am fairly new to this hobby and have been using Old Orchard Aquariums.

PM Sent!

This tank is amazing. I love your pillar; your placement of coral on and around it has resulted in an incredibly natural/realistic look. Your tank is a perfect example of the benefits of planning and waiting!

Mr. Microscope
This tank is amazing. I love your pillar; your placement of coral on and around it has resulted in an incredibly natural/realistic look. Your tank is a perfect example of the benefits of planning and waiting!

Thanks ReeferDash! I appreciate the compliment. Planning and waiting are the hardest part IMO.

Mr. Microscope
Those are some impressive shots for a P&S. I only ever use my Canon P&S for photos of the tank, but you've got my P&S photo skills beat by a lot! :D

Thanks flsvedlund! It took me a while to figure it out. Keep your ISO at 80 and fiddle with the Macro function. You can move the plane of focus in and out. Good luck!