Cultivated Reef

The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

streetsong

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, we are missing many FTS/FES posts. I am hoping that people are just procrastinating until the last possible moment. I have a feeling that most of our contestants will come through before the deadline. There's a lot of passionate folks in this contest!

Okay everyone, today is the day. Don't prove me wrong!

Okay gang,

There are still quite a few of you that have not furnished your FTS and FES. The hours are counting down quickly to get them posted, remember they must be posted by 12:00 midnight.

Come on, show us your entries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay gang,

There are still quite a few of you that have not furnished your FTS and FES. The hours are counting down quickly to get them posted, remember they must be posted by 12:00 midnight.

Come on, show us your entries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rob is right, with just a few hours left we have 18 contestants that have posted their FTS/FES and we are waiting on the rest. I am really enjoying looking at all of the photos so far. Nice job, everyone!

Just an update: After our first deadline, we have lost about 9 contestants. I guess that is to be expected. We still have a nice big group and I can tell that you are all in it for the long-haul. There are many different approaches being used in this contest so we can learn a lot from our diverse group. As you view the November FTS/FES page, be sure to comment on someone's thread when you see something that you like. I will update the list of contestants ASAP. -Brandon

Oh no, can they get a grace period? Many must be away for the holidays?

The only reason why I don't want to bend the rules is because I want to be fair to everyone; I don't want to have to extend the deadline for folks every month. Yesterday's deadline has been posted for over a month and I havent received any PM's from people asking for an extension. An emergency situation where someone sends Rob or I a PM would be a different situation. In all other cases I would ask that everyone plan ahead, since we know far in advance when FTS/FES will be due. Is this fair?

The only reason why I don't want to bend the rules is because I want to be fair to everyone; I don't want to have to extend the deadline for folks every month. Yesterday's deadline has been posted for over a month and I havent received any PM's from people asking for an extension. An emergency situation where someone sends Rob or I a PM would be a different situation. In all other cases I would ask that everyone plan ahead, since we know far in advance when FTS/FES will be due. Is this fair?

Yup, I agree, rules are rules for a reason. I would say if a PM comes in late with a legitimate reason no problem though. As long as the field stays this big I dont think we'll have an issue with the contest staying fun! :)

Agreed, these rules were posted well over a month ago, so all had ample time to prepare. I fully understand that emergencies do arise and if a contestant does request/require an extension they need to contact Brandon or myself before a deadline and we will try to accommodate. All future requests shall be put to a vote by remaining contestants if possible, if not, Brandon and I shall make a final determination.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

It's very exciting for me, one of the sponsors to see this awesome marathon about to take off! I would like to kick it off with this picture as an inspiration to all the contestants...

IF ONLY THIS PICTURE HAD EACH RUNNER HOLDING THE WALMART PICO IN THEIR HANDS... B)

2uyr3q0.jpg

Lets make some splashes and lets see those bubbles... :P

It's very exciting for me, one of the sponsors to see this awesome marathon about to take off! I would like to kick it off with this picture as an inspiration to all the contestants...

IF ONLY THIS PICTURE HAD EACH RUNNER HOLDING THE WALMART PICO IN THEIR HANDS... B)

2uyr3q0.jpg

Lets make some splashes and lets see those bubbles... :P

And there off, streakin' round the poll beans! Sorry, the first thing that came to mind when I saw your picture was the song the " The Streak" , boy am I dating myself. LOL :lol:

Thanks for sponsoring our contest and all you input.

Just an update: After our first deadline, we have lost about 9 contestants. I guess that is to be expected. We still have a nice big group and I can tell that you are all in it for the long-haul. There are many different approaches being used in this contest so we can learn a lot from our diverse group. As you view the November FTS/FES page, be sure to comment on someone's thread when you see something that you like. I will update the list of contestants ASAP. -Brandon

I think there may be a large mis-understanding here. I apparently ended up being one of the '9' that didn't post....likely because of the holidays and such, I have not been keeping up with THIS thread and somehow missed the rule change to post to the said 'November FTS/FES Build Thread'. The problem I have with this is that on page 1 in the official rules section, there is NO MENTION that this was going to be a requirement for the contest (that I can find).

"The goal of this contest will be to see how creative we can get with our new 2g "Tom Deco Kit/Hawkeye" 2 gallon pico tanks purchased for a whopping $30 from Walmart! The idea of a contest came about due to the number of people who viewed the original thread started by gupebreeder on October 9th. Although walmart.com is currently out of the kits, I will monitor their website frequently and post if they receive more stock.

Basic Rules

The entire contents of the Tom Deco Kit must be included and visible. This would include:

-The 2g tank itself- Duh !

-Power-compact perch light and bulb

-Hang-on power filter

In plain English: Use everything in the box. (Heck, you can use the box itself if you are really creative!)

Any equipment add-on's or modifications may be made as long as the original equipment is still in use and visible.

No restrictions on equipment, livestock, or budget.

Contest Guidelines

Contest length and dates: 1 year beginning on 10/29/11 and ending on 10/29/12.

Open enrollment for 1 month after start date.

If your tank crashes after open-enrollment closes on 11/29/11, then you are out of the running. (The reason for this: To avoid someone restarting their tank several times throughout the length of the contest. Our goal is to build healthy systems that can thrive for the entire year!)

You must maintain a tank thread on NR for the length of the contest.

List all equipment additions as well as livestock additions or losses on tank thread.

8 month build and 4 month grow-out period. No new equipment, livestock additions after 6/29/12 (Replacing or fixing broken equipment is permitted).

Clean-up crew is okay to add throughout the entire contest.

Submit one FTS/FES pic. per month and one FTS/FES for voting at the end of the contest (no later than 10/29/12).

Judging

Judges will be invited to vote in a poll to select winners in each category. Expreinced NR members, TOTM winners and sponsors will be included. Anyone interested in judging should pm streetsong. Judges will be finalized by the end of the open enrollment period (11/29/11) and a list will be added to this thread."

Nowhere in these rules does it say we will be responsible for checking this thread and submitting to a separate, designated thread monthy....it simply says to submit one pic per month and one for voting at the end, and my assumption is that this was to be done on the thread we individually created as our contest entry.

Now, I am aware that I am not the only one that may have missed out on this opportunity to continue in the contest...as I have seen some ask for a 'second chance'. And, obviously, I am not in charge of the contest or who gets in or is 'OUT' due to this apparent change in the rules...so if you decide to not open this back up to those that missed out on the change, it is on you. So, count this as my official request to consider what I have said here and open the contest back up to those that were excluded due to this misunderstanding. Thank you.

I think there may be a large mis-understanding here. I apparently ended up being one of the '9' that didn't post....likely because of the holidays and such, I have not been keeping up with THIS thread and somehow missed the rule change to post to the said 'November FTS/FES Build Thread'. The problem I have with this is that on page 1 in the official rules section, there is NO MENTION that this was going to be a requirement for the contest (that I can find).

"The goal of this contest will be to see how creative we can get with our new 2g "Tom Deco Kit/Hawkeye" 2 gallon pico tanks purchased for a whopping $30 from Walmart! The idea of a contest came about due to the number of people who viewed the original thread started by gupebreeder on October 9th. Although walmart.com is currently out of the kits, I will monitor their website frequently and post if they receive more stock.

Basic Rules

The entire contents of the Tom Deco Kit must be included and visible. This would include:

-The 2g tank itself- Duh !

-Power-compact perch light and bulb

-Hang-on power filter

In plain English: Use everything in the box. (Heck, you can use the box itself if you are really creative!)

Any equipment add-on's or modifications may be made as long as the original equipment is still in use and visible.

No restrictions on equipment, livestock, or budget.

Contest Guidelines

Contest length and dates: 1 year beginning on 10/29/11 and ending on 10/29/12.

Open enrollment for 1 month after start date.

If your tank crashes after open-enrollment closes on 11/29/11, then you are out of the running. (The reason for this: To avoid someone restarting their tank several times throughout the length of the contest. Our goal is to build healthy systems that can thrive for the entire year!)

You must maintain a tank thread on NR for the length of the contest.

List all equipment additions as well as livestock additions or losses on tank thread.

8 month build and 4 month grow-out period. No new equipment, livestock additions after 6/29/12 (Replacing or fixing broken equipment is permitted).

Clean-up crew is okay to add throughout the entire contest.

Submit one FTS/FES pic. per month and one FTS/FES for voting at the end of the contest (no later than 10/29/12).

Judging

Judges will be invited to vote in a poll to select winners in each category. Expreinced NR members, TOTM winners and sponsors will be included. Anyone interested in judging should pm streetsong. Judges will be finalized by the end of the open enrollment period (11/29/11) and a list will be added to this thread."

Nowhere in these rules does it say we will be responsible for checking this thread and submitting to a separate, designated thread monthy....it simply says to submit one pic per month and one for voting at the end, and my assumption is that this was to be done on the thread we individually created as our contest entry.

Now, I am aware that I am not the only one that may have missed out on this opportunity to continue in the contest...as I have seen some ask for a 'second chance'. And, obviously, I am not in charge of the contest or who gets in or is 'OUT' due to this apparent change in the rules...so if you decide to not open this back up to those that missed out on the change, it is on you. So, count this as my official request to consider what I have said here and open the contest back up to those that were excluded due to this misunderstanding. Thank you.

Rbokros- I just sent you a pm regarding this. I will take the blame for this one. You are correct that it is not in the original rules. The idea of a separate FTS thread was discussed and requested be several folks early on. And although it was stated in several recent posts that contests post their FTS shot on that thread, I neglected to change it in the rule. I would be happy to rectify this situation by adding anyone who was excluded for this reason back into the contest.

I would also request that contestants stay in touch with this thread when possible. This is the place where we can all communicate together. Again, I apologize. Let me know if there is anything else that I can do.

Rbokros- I just sent you a pm regarding this. I will take the blame for this one. You are correct that it is not in the original rules. The idea of a separate FTS thread was discussed and requested be several folks early on. And although it was stated in several recent posts that contests post their FTS shot on that thread, I neglected to change it in the rule. I would be happy to rectify this situation by adding anyone who was excluded for this reason back into the contest.

I would also request that contestants stay in touch with this thread when possible. This is the place where we can all communicate together. Again, I apologize. Let me know if there is anything else that I can do.

Thank you for clearing the air and making it right!! I can see how a separate thread for the monthly pics would make it easier to track everyone's progress. I will be sure to watch this thread more closely now to make sure I don't miss anything important!! :D

Due to life, I will be dropping out of this contest. (and reefing in general) Most everything from the tank is sitting in boxes waiting to be sold and shipped off to someone that can use it.

Thanks everyone for your support in my thread.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
The December 2011 FTS/FES thread is now open for your submissions. I can't wait to see how things are progressing for everyone!

Just coming in and doing a temperature check... How are all the picos doing??? Hopefully all is well, and we are looking forward to seeing this thread continue to grow with questions or concerns about making it right.... :)

Archived