Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

streetsong

Just a reminder to everyone that FTS/FES need to be posted by January 31st on the monthly thread. Be sure to continue checking out everyone's tank threads and leaving encouraging comments. Also, if you are in need of any additional equipment for your pico, please visit our sponsors websites: Micro-Reefs and Salty Supply.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's January 27th and I only see 5 entries if this month's FTS/FES thread. There are more than five of us left aren't there? Has everyone else dropped out? :(

It's January 27th and I only see 5 entries if this month's FTS/FES thread. There are more than five of us left aren't there? Has everyone else dropped out? :(

I'm still in....missed the december FTS due to being on vacation, but got the OK from streetsong. Looks like ive got about 3 days to get my january shot in :)

I've always avoided acrylic for fear of scratching it. I'm trying to embrace the hatch marked scratches but its almost too much to bear! When I replace this tank, is there a better acrylic or should I stick with glass?

I don't know about better acrylic, but I feel you about the scratches.

Every day I'm torn between trying to clean the tank and just leaving it alone for fear of putting MORE scratches on it.

Every day I'm torn between trying to clean the tank and just leaving it alone for fear of putting MORE scratches on it.

I agree, I scratched up my first contest tank pretty badly using a Nanomag. It's getting to a point that my trusty toothbrush is not removing algae growth.

I have also had my share of scratches, I don't think anyone will make it through the year with an entirely scratch-free tank. BTW- Thanks for not calling me out on reminding everyone to post their FTS/FES and not having my own on the page yet. I'm doing it right now! :)

I was cleaning the tank today for it's picture tomorrow, I'm really really dissapointed in the quality of the acrylic. No matter what I do it won't be clear. How are you guys taking pretty pictutres or clear pictures? Mine looks like the nano mag scratched it up pretty bad! :rant:

I just sent PM's to the 6 contestants who still need to post their FTS/FES. Hopefully we can get them back on board by the end of the day.

Here's what the rules say: "No new equipment, livestock additions after 6/29/12 (Replacing or fixing broken equipment is permitted). Clean-up crew is okay to add throughout the entire contest."

I just sent PM's to the 6 contestants who still need to post their FTS/FES. Hopefully we can get them back on board by the end of the day.

I'm in....thanks for the PM!!! I had planned to get it in earlier, but life happened!

I agree, I scratched up my first contest tank pretty badly using a Nanomag. It's getting to a point that my trusty toothbrush is not removing algae growth.

Ive been using a toothbrush the whole time and its hasnt left many scratches if at all, but its a proverbial female dog to get some of that stuff off......... think just putting in a super clean up crew of 50 snails will do it?? ;)

This is quickly turning into the "I can't see through the scratches on this otherwise adorable tank, so I must win the micro reef one" contest. I've been using a little nib of filter floss to clean, slow but effective.

This is quickly turning into the "I can't see through the scratches on this otherwise adorable tank, so I must win the micro reef one" contest. I've been using a little nib of filter floss to clean, slow but effective.

Using filter floss to scrub is a good idea. I'm going to try that when I perform a water change tonight.

Using filter floss to scrub is a good idea. I'm going to try that when I perform a water change tonight.

I ended up rubber-banding a chunk of filter pad to the end of a toothbrush ans scrubbing the acrylic with that. It worked great and not a single scratch!

Archived