Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

streetsong

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IM considering not doing the contest and getting the 3 gallon but im not sure, is there a price difference??

I don't think there is a price difference on the site you posted. If you are thinking about the three gallon, I would step up to the finnex four gallon or even one of the 8 gallon all in one's. The Toms tank isn't really that special(its certainly not bad though), Its popular because of this contest. The finnex four gallon has a lot more volume and room for error and the jbj 8 gallon is better still. I understand that the Toms has a good price right now on the tank, but in the long run, a bigger tank will be much easier to maintain.

On my contest tank, I will have a four gallon sump. I'm a fairly experienced reefer, and trying to keep a 2 or 3 gallon still kinda gives me the heebie jeebies.

If your not going to join the contest, pick something bigger.

It looks like everything is going smoothly for everyone at this point. I am enjoying reading through everyone's tank threads. Please post on this thread if you are using our sponsors. Any positive experiences will help to get them more business from our group and this is the best way that we can thank them for supporting us!

It looks like everything is going smoothly for everyone at this point. I am enjoying reading through everyone's tank threads. Please post on this thread if you are using our sponsors. Any positive experiences will help to get them more business from our group and this is the best way that we can thank them for supporting us!

I purchased a DA SL1 and the DA float switch kit from Mike at Microreefs. He went out of his way to get a product for me that wasn't even listed on his website. The communication was awesome. I haven't gotten it yet(unless it came today :D ), But when I do, I will post pics of the (hopefully) awesome packaging.

Thank you for the great service Mike, I wish you the best with your business. Thank you for sponsoring the contest and hopefully soon, you can sponsor NR too :D

I just left a message with Furry Pet Supplies to see if they might give us a break on the shipping. I think there are enough folks that would still like to get in on this if they could get a good deal on the tank. I'll post if I hear back from them so anyone who wants to can order ASAP.

Also, my wife just commented that she is thinking about starting a support group for any non-aquarist spouses/significant others that are going to have to endure our obsession with this contest! :lol:

IM considering not doing the contest and getting the 3 gallon but im not sure, is there a price difference??

If you don't want to be in the contest, I'd highly recommend getting the JBJ 3 gallon. It's a high quality rimless glass tank, only costs $40 at Drs. Foster & Smith, and it can support mushrooms and softies right out of the box. It also makes the 2 gallon Deco look even smaller. :lol:

As for the price difference, it would probably be about the same. I've probably spent at least $500 on my 3 gallon. It would be a lot cheaper if you just used the stock equipment and had another tank to take frags from.

Woop! First post in years! Gosh I love nano/pico tanks!

Its been 4 years since Ive had a tank up (back in undergrad I had three tanks going at once in my dorm room of 2, 5, and 10gal, then later had a 20L and a 2.5gal in my apartment), but I randomly decided to get on today and check out my ol' favorite internet stomping grounds. Boy was I timing this right, as I was thinking of setting up a pico and there is nothing quite like a friendly contest to keep things progressing! :)

For the FTS, do I need to have it all up and running, or just a shot of an empty tank? I'll order one today if I still have time to figure out where I want to get my live rock from and scout out the LFS in the new area I am living in.... If I have to have it running by the first deadline I may have to pass just because of time constraints (I am a 3rd year medical student, so I dont have all that much free time, so it may take a few weeks to get things up and running full steam ahead.

So excited to see how enthusiastic everyone is about this contest.... stuff like this and the camaraderie on this website has always left me :)

Woop! First post in years! Gosh I love nano/pico tanks!

Its been 4 years since Ive had a tank up (back in undergrad I had three tanks going at once in my dorm room of 2, 5, and 10gal, then later had a 20L and a 2.5gal in my apartment), but I randomly decided to get on today and check out my ol' favorite internet stomping grounds. Boy was I timing this right, as I was thinking of setting up a pico and there is nothing quite like a friendly contest to keep things progressing! :)

For the FTS, do I need to have it all up and running, or just a shot of an empty tank? I'll order one today if I still have time to figure out where I want to get my live rock from and scout out the LFS in the new area I am living in.... If I have to have it running by the first deadline I may have to pass just because of time constraints (I am a 3rd year medical student, so I dont have all that much free time, so it may take a few weeks to get things up and running full steam ahead.

So excited to see how enthusiastic everyone is about this contest.... stuff like this and the camaraderie on this website has always left me :)

Sandlot- We would love to have you join in the fun, this is a great group! As long as you have the tank by 11/29 and you can get a tank thread and FTS by then, you will be good to go. I hope it works out for you!

Sandlot- We would love to have you join in the fun, this is a great group! As long as you have the tank by 11/29 and you can get a tank thread and FTS by then, you will be good to go. I hope it works out for you!

Amazon.com. Added to cart. Ordered. Game on.

:D

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi all,

I've been seeing a lot of the contestants pics, and must congratulate them on a strong start. For those reefers wanting an affordable digital thermometer, I picked up one for only $5.99 and it's on my site.

If you want to go digital and get a good accurate reading, pick one up.... There are also extra bulbs for those just entering the contest....

Here is the pic of the unit:

29ymk3a.jpg

I think this is the most uneventful day that we have had on this thread. I know why, you are all busy working on your tanks! I finally got some work done on mine. Have a great evening, everyone!

I am having fun watching the progress that everyone is making on their tanks. I love that we have people with such a wide variety of experiences in this hobby participating. If you run into any roadblocks or have any questions, don't hesitate to post here to get a response from our other contestants. I think we are all in agreement that keeping a tank of this size healthy and stable requires patience, hard work, and good advice from other aquarists. Thanks for the support all of you have shown each other so far.

BTW- Don't forget that your FTS/FES needs to be posted by 11/29.

Michael, welcome to the contest! Be sure to post a link to your tank thread here once you get it set up.

Reminders for everyone: There are 10 days left to get your November FTS/FES posted. Also, anyone who has not started a tank thread will be receiving a PM from me today.

Happy reefing!

Archived