Monthly Full Tank Shots and Full Equipment Shots:

November 2011

December 2011

January 2012

February 2012

March 2012

April 2012

Finalized Contest Rules

* Contest begins on 10/29/11 with open enrollment until 11/29/11.

The goal of this contest will be to see how creative we can get with our new 2g "Tom Deco Kit/Hawkeye" 2 gallon pico tanks purchased for a whopping $30 from Walmart! The idea of a contest came about due to the number of people who viewed the original thread started by gupebreeder on October 9th. Although walmart.com is currently out of the kits, I will monitor their website frequently and post if they receive more stock.

Basic Rules

The entire contents of the Tom Deco Kit must be included and visible. This would include:

-The 2g tank itself- Duh :) !

-Power-compact perch light and bulb

-Hang-on power filter

In plain English: Use everything in the box. (Heck, you can use the box itself if you are really creative!)

Any equipment add-on's or modifications may be made as long as the original equipment is still in use and visible.

No restrictions on equipment, livestock, or budget.

Contest Guidelines

Contest length and dates: 1 year beginning on 10/29/11 and ending on 10/29/12.

Open enrollment for 1 month after start date.

If your tank crashes after open-enrollment closes on 11/29/11, then you are out of the running. (The reason for this: To avoid someone restarting their tank several times throughout the length of the contest. Our goal is to build healthy systems that can thrive for the entire year!)

You must maintain a tank thread on NR for the length of the contest.

List all equipment additions as well as livestock additions or losses on tank thread.

8 month build and 4 month grow-out period. No new equipment, livestock additions after 6/29/12 (Replacing or fixing broken equipment is permitted).

Clean-up crew is okay to add throughout the entire contest.

Submit one FTS/FES pic. per month and one FTS/FES for voting at the end of the contest (no later than 10/29/12).

Judging

Judges will be invited to vote in a poll to select winners in each category. Expreinced NR members, TOTM winners and sponsors will be included. Anyone interested in judging should pm streetsong. Judges will be finalized by the end of the open enrollment period (11/29/11) and a list will be added to this thread.

Our Sponsors

Please support them for donating incredible prizes for this contest.

Micro-Reefs.com

Salty Supply

Mamejenny

Gupebreedr

Micro-Reefs.com will also be sponsoring this contest and they are donating an official Micro-Reefs 1 gallon 9L x 6W x 7H acrylic tank designed by TRUVU, in clear, blue or black background (winner's choice), a Nano/Mag cleaner by Two little Fishes, an Aquaclear 20 HOB filter and a Hydor 7.5 watt mini heater! :) :) :) :)

Thanks to Salty Supply for their generous donation of a Boston Aquafarms fragging kit. You rock!

NR member Mamejenny has also donated the prize of a custom built protien skimmer. WOW! Thanks so much!

In an effort to be a gracious host and to provide a small incentive, one of the winners will receive 4 frags (choose sps or softies) from one of my other set-ups, shipping included. I have a variety of stuff to choose from!

Prize Categories

Best Use of Original Equipment- Custom 1 gal. acrylic tank and nano mag cleaner, Aquaclear 20 filter, and Hydor heater from Micro-reefs.

Most Creative- Four-pack of coral frags from streetsong.

Most Mature Looking- Custom built protien skimmer by mamejenny.

Best Coloration- Boston Aquafarms coral fragging kit from Salty Supply.

Most Bizarre, Insane, Crazy, Weird or Unusual- A $10 Walmart giftcard and 3-pack of Rapids power filter cartridges from gupebreeder (Rob, our contest founder).

Participants: as of 10/18/11

Click on a contestant to see their tank thread.

alaskan84

bdwilson

bsdryder7

cberglof

gupebreedr (Rob, Tampa FL)

gupebreedr's tank #2

Kali_D

metrokat

michael P

moblues

pbjelly

rbokros

ReiningChick

sandlot13

slosht

streetsong (Brandon, Denver CO)

wee luv daycare

xxredxpandaxx

Contest host: streetsong, assisted by gupebreeder

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Proposed Contest Rules

*I will finalize the rules by this Saturday, August 22nd based on suggestions and concensus of the group.

you mean october

No one has commented on my skillful play-on-words in the topic description ;)

very nice very nice.

so everybody has to start their own tank thread on this or post on this thread?

:welcome: .. :welcome: .. :welcome: .. :welcome: .. :welcome: .. :welcome: .. :welcome:

Well, well, well, looks like the battle of the pico's has begun. This is gonna be good. I'm surprised to see that Walmart sold out of the kits, I ordered another this morning and my order went through. Perhaps I got the last one. Maybe more people ordered these then what's admitting to. LOL

Streetsong, your write up is fantastic, well done. :happydance: Your offer to award frags to the winner is outstanding. Cool beans!!!!! It sure would be nice if would could get some additional sponsors too..... Maybe we could talk Mike from Micro-reefs.com to add a tidbit or two. He's got a great site that pretty much caters to Pico tanks. If you've not seen it, I urge you to visit it.

I promised "Streetsong" that I would make myself available to help so feel free to contact either of us for questions comments or if you just want to B@*ch. Be nice tho, cause I might B@*tch back at ya. :haha:

Good luck all, can't wait to see what all of us do with our setups.

Rob

wet cleanup pls!!

Get it right, that's a "wet spill". I know, I'm gainfully employeed by Wally's World...... :o

so everybody has to start their own tank thread on this or post on this thread?

Start your own tank thread, PM me a link and I will post it at the top of the thread.

If you are in, please post here before starting your tank thread. I think if everyone can see who all is participating, we will get more people.

Hey, we have another sponsor. Mike has graciously added a Micro-Reefs 1 gallon 9L x 6W x 7H acrylic tank designed by TruVu in their choice of clear, blue or black background and a Nano/Mag cleaner from Two Little Fishes for the winner.

Applause, Applause, Applause.

Thanks Mike @ Micro-reefs.com If you have not seen his site please pay it a visit. We need to help support our sponsors.

If there's anyone interested in sponsoring our contest, please feel free to contact Streetsong or myself.

Hey, we have another sponsor. Mike has graciously added a Micro-Reefs 1 gallon 9L x 6W x 7H acrylic tank designed by TruVu in their choice of clear, blue or black background and a Nano/Mag cleaner from Two Little Fishes for the winner.

Applause, Applause, Applause.

Thanks Mike @ Micro-reefs.com If you have not seen his site please pay it a visit. We need to help support our sponsors.

If there's anyone interested in sponsoring our contest, please feel free to contact Streetsong or myself.

You beat me to it! As you are thinking about your build, keep Micro-Reefs in mind for your additional equipment. Big thanks to Micro-Reefs, this is awesome!

Micro-Reefs is great! It's very nice of Mike to sponsor this contest. :)

Would you accept a small, fully functional "in-filter" pico protein skimmer (built by me) as a prize for the winner?

Micro-Reefs is great! It's very nice of Mike to sponsor this contest. :)

Would you accept a small, fully functional "in-filter" pico protein skimmer (built by me) as a prize for the winner?

Wow, that would be great. Thank you so very much. :D A round of applause for MameJenny

Wow, I wish I lived in the US and could pick one of these up. Oh well, will be fun to watch from the sidelines =0)

We'll make you a judge!!! How's that sound... :)

BTW- A good question came up. Will CUC count as a new tank addition after the eight-month build period ends. Definitely not. I will add that to the rules. Any other questions, comments, ask away!

LOL.... This should be fun to watch!

I can throw in a few Apastia to the winner! ;)

Send them to Woogs, that might be as close to a Majano as he'll ever get... ROTFLMAO

I had mine sent to my cousins place in Michigan. Lucky my mom was going down for a visit right? ;) Do you allow Canadians to compete? :P

I don't see any issues with a neighbor to the north joining in. You get my vote. B)

Archived