Top Shelf Aquatics

The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

streetsong

Hi guys :) So I'm brand spanking new to the NR forum, reef tanks, and especially pico tanks! I joined this forum cause I wanted to use my empty 20L as my first reef tank, but as I was looking through threads I kept seeing titles about Walmart Pico tanks and became intrigued. The other night I found this thread and went through all (at the time) 24 pages and fell in love with the idea of what you guys are doing. I immediately looked online and was so excited to find the kit on Amazon for 39$! (although I'm pretty sure I got the last one in stock at that price..) I didn't realize i would get the tank already but it came this afternoon :D Iv been thinking a lot about what I want to do and i have a very vague idea but because I'm such a noob with corals i have A LOT of research to do :eek:

I think its really cool what you guys are doing and I am very excited to be apart of it and for all the new things Ill learn!!!

-- Carlie from Dublin, Ohio

p.s. I promise I will post a link to my thread as soon as I get one up!! ;)

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi guys :) So I'm brand spanking new to the NR forum, reef tanks, and especially pico tanks! I joined this forum cause I wanted to use my empty 20L as my first reef tank, but as I was looking through threads I kept seeing titles about Walmart Pico tanks and became intrigued. The other night I found this thread and went through all (at the time) 24 pages and fell in love with the idea of what you guys are doing. I immediately looked online and was so excited to find the kit on Amazon for 39$! (although I'm pretty sure I got the last one in stock at that price..) I didn't realize i would get the tank already but it came this afternoon :D Iv been thinking a lot about what I want to do and i have a very vague idea but because I'm such a noob with corals i have A LOT of research to do :eek:

I think its really cool what you guys are doing and I am very excited to be apart of it and for all the new things Ill learn!!!

-- Carlie from Dublin, Ohio

p.s. I promise I will post a link to my thread as soon as I get one up!! ;)

Welcome to nr.

Good for you for reading up. There is more to nr than just the forums. If you click on the "articles" link at to, there is a ;ot of good info. Also, be sure to read el'fabs pico thread. Its a sticky at the top of the pico forum.

I also rexommend stevieT's water change guide at the top of the beginner forum.

Keeping a pico as your first reef will be an exersise in patients and following direction. Once you get your thread going, ask all the questions you need, everyone is here to help.

you sure you got the tom deco 2 gallon?!

Yep Im sure!! I couldnt believe it when i found it cause Big als was already sold out, but there it was :happydance:

Welcome to nr.

Good for you for reading up. There is more to nr than just the forums. If you click on the "articles" link at to, there is a ;ot of good info. Also, be sure to read el'fabs pico thread. Its a sticky at the top of the pico forum.

I also rexommend stevieT's water change guide at the top of the beginner forum.

Keeping a pico as your first reef will be an exersise in patients and following direction. Once you get your thread going, ask all the questions you need, everyone is here to help.

Thank you and I will def check those articles out! I actually already read el'fabs pico thread. I tend to do a little over research before I begin things... But I guess in these situations that is a good thing :P And I will most def be asking a lot of questions along the way. The one thing I know for sure is that I will be plumbing it to give myself some extra water volume.

I got my tank today! :D Big Al's packing was fantastic, and everything appears to be working. I'll be sure to take a photo later today.

I got my tank today! :D Big Al's packing was fantastic, and everything appears to be working. I'll be sure to take a photo later today.

Kewl, Can't wait to see pics. So what are your plans?????????? The world wants to know... :)

When are the november tank shots due?

I'm guessing that the fts's will be due on the 29th of every month. Even February. Good thing it's a leap year.

I'm guessing that the fts's will be due on the 29th of every month. Even February. Good thing it's a leap year.

Had a PM from Brandon, he was away this past weekend and will be getting the FTS thread up hopefully today sometime. I'm not sure what the date will be however..

Rob

I have a dilemma, I don't know if I should drill the bottom of the tank or the back.

Bottom Pro's: Looks better, Seems stronger

Bottom Con's: Disaster if it leaks

Back pro's: If it leaks, only a cup of water on the floor

Back cons': Looks bad, Weak hole near rim of tank.

Need opinions pleez :D

I have a dilemma, I don't know if I should drill the bottom of the tank or the back.

Bottom Pro's: Looks better

Seems stronger

Bottom Con's: Disaster if it leaks

Back pro's: If it leaks, only a cup of water on the floor

Back cons': Looks bad

Weak hole near rim of tank.

Need opinions pleez :D

I'm planning on drilling the back of the tank. For me, the primary reason is that if something comes loose and the bottom is drilled, you're going to have a bunch of dried out coral and 2+ gallons of water on the floor. I think I'd rather have a slightly weakened area around the rim.

I'm planning on drilling the back of the tank. For me, the primary reason is that if something comes loose and the bottom is drilled, you're going to have a bunch of dried out coral and 2+ gallons of water on the floor. I think I'd rather have a slightly weakened area around the rim.

How do you plan on drilling the tank?

I was planning on using a spade bit after I get it started with a regular drill bit. Going ridiculously slow. I even got an electric screwdriver to use because all my drills spin too fast.

How do you plan on drilling the tank?

I was planning on using a spade bit after I get it started with a regular drill bit. Going ridiculously slow. I even got an electric screwdriver to use because all my drills spin too fast.

To be honest, I'm not quite sure yet. One of my family members has a drill I can borrow, but I'm not sure how many drill bits they have. I need to actually figure out how big the hole should be before I start drilling. :lol:

OMG, you are more daring then I.ohmy.gif I'd be afraid I'd crack the tank. Can't you do some type of overflow set up?????

To be honest, I'm not quite sure yet. One of my family members has a drill I can borrow, but I'm not sure how many drill bits they have. I need to actually figure out how big the hole should be before I start drilling. :lol:

Check out glass-holes.com ( I hope the sensor didn't get that)

http://www.glass-holes.com/1-2-inch-Bulkheads_c28.htm

You will probably need a 1 1/8th inch hole if you go with a 1/2" drain.

OMG, you are more daring then I.ohmy.gif I'd be afraid I'd crack the tank. Can't you do some type of overflow set up?????

I think I will drill the bottom. It seems much stronger. If I screw it up, I will have to order another tank. I am planning on cutting tonight.

Had a PM from Brandon, he was away this past weekend and will be getting the FTS thread up hopefully today sometime. I'm not sure what the date will be however..

Rob

Yes. Since the contest began on the 29th, the FTS/FES will be due by the 29th of every month. When I get home from work, I will get it posted for those of you chomping at the bit. ;)

Please welcome ReiningChick to the contest- Participant #31!

I did a little looking around and found that several people's threads haven't been put on the first page yet. In case you missed them, here they are:

Babboa: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=284681&hl=

Goateye22: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=285067&hl=

Kali_D: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=284678&hl=

rbokros: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=285389&hl=

I also sent a couple of quick reminder messages to the people who haven't made tank threads yet. Hope that's not a problem. :)

Mame- Thanks for being proactive on this. I try to be in-tune with this thread at all times, but things do slide by occasionally.

I've been working on my pico for a while now. I painted it with two layers of green glow paint (couldn't find blue) and then just finished putting on the first layer of black paint. I made a slight metrokat-like mistake and accidentally got paint on one side, so I decided to just paint the sides too. I'm hoping to get it up and running by tomorrow.

Archived