Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

streetsong

I just bought this for fun at work but sign me up for the contest. Not planning anything fancy. Just planning on keeping it stock and trying to keep it running for a year. Clint from Monticello, MN

IMAG0207.jpg

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just bought this for fun at work but sign me up for the contest. Not planning anything fancy. Just planning on keeping it stock and trying to keep it running for a year. Clint from Monticello, MN

IMAG0207.jpg

Welcome Clint. :welcome:

Sometimes simple is best. Your setup looks great. Keep us updated and post pics as it progresses. .

Hurray! another Minnesota reefer!

If you are ever down in the cities, check out Saltwater Empire on 88th ish and Lyndale in Bloomington. They keep funny hours, but the coral selection is lightyears ahead of A World of Fish and the staff is very knowledgeable.

Why don't you start a thread for your tank.

I'm thinking of drilling my tank once I get it (next Tuesday, hopefully). I'm thinking that I'll put in a simple internal overflow and a 5 gallon storage container as a sump. Anyone have similar plans?

I've also noticed that several members' tanks have themes. I've decided that my tank will be a night club themed NPS tank. Besides glow paint, black lights, color-changing LEDs and maybe a mini disco ball, anyone have any ideas for my tank? :)

I'm thinking of drilling my tank once I get it (next Tuesday, hopefully). I'm thinking that I'll put in a simple internal overflow and a 5 gallon storage container as a sump. Anyone have similar plans?

I've also noticed that several members' tanks have themes. I've decided that my tank will be a night club themed NPS tank. Besides glow paint, black lights, color-changing LEDs and maybe a mini disco ball, anyone have any ideas for my tank? :)

I have wanted to set up and led lighting system on a tank that was controlled by and arduino that had the capability of highlighting each coral independently in different colours, then doing something like this:

But I just dont have that kinda cash right now.

I love it! Maybe you could incorporate one of those underwater LEDs in there somewhere to backlight or underlight something.

I'm not drilling my tank, but I am planning on adding a DIY pseudo-HOB. (If I can get my act together to build it...)

Please welcome cberglof (Clint from Monticello, MN) and kbossert to the fun!

I will be drilling mine tomorrow. I'll post the details on my thread. The nightclub theme sounds incredible!

Who wants more prizes?

The guy who made this all happen, Rob (gupebreedr) has donated another prize for our contest and designated a fifth category: The most "Bizarre, Insane, Crazy, Weird or Unusual" To define it, it has to be something within the tank itself and not part of the actual tank setup.

The prize: A $10 Walmart gift-card (perfect, right?) and a 3 pack of Rapids Power Filter Cartridges!

Wow! A big thanks to Rob!!!! :D

If you're not excited now, you're just not human!

woot for Guppy!

@MameJenny the night club idea can be achieved with these: Disco LED's

I was actually thinking of using one of these: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...fm?pcatid=23637 I'd be using the multicolor version, of course. If I can find a mini rotating mirror ball, I'm going to hang it from my light fixture and use the LED to light it. I might use a separate LED to light up what I plan to have as the centerpiece in my tank - a pink Dendronephthya. :D

This is so cool! I love hearing what you guys and gals are doing with these tiny tanks!

Are you going to start a dedicated contest thread with all the entry's names and pics of the tanks as they grow? May be quite a bit easier then weeding through this long one.

Just a thought...

Man oh man I can't wait to see the final entry's pics!

MY GOD I JUST WENT THROUGH ALL 20 PAGES RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN THIS THREAD GOING BUT NEVER JOINED IN AND NOW IM FREEKIN HOOKED LOL........I AM BUYING ONE AS SOON AS I CAN AND JOINING THIS CONTEST :)

I WISH I WOULD HAVE READ THIS THREAD YESTERDAY CAUSE I JUST SPENT LIKE A 150 BUCKS ON CORALS AND MISC STUFF AND MY WIFE SAID THATS IT FOR THE MONTH SOOOOOOOOOO I PROB WILL BE ORDERING IT THE FIRST OR SECOND WEEK OF NOV :)

P.S GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :)

Are you going to start a dedicated contest thread with all the entry's names and pics of the tanks as they grow?

This

Usually, with contests, a seperate thread is set up for monthly full tank shots. Every one in the contest must post a fts in that thread by a certain date that month. There is no chit chat allowed in the thread, so it is easy for everyone(including other forum members npt participaring) to keep up on everyones tanks.

This

Usually, with contests, a seperate thread is set up for monthly full tank shots. Every one in the contest must post a fts in that thread by a certain date that month. There is no chit chat allowed in the thread, so it is easy for everyone(including other forum members npt participaring) to keep up on everyones tanks.

Cool!

I like your avatar as well what movie is it from?

Cool!

I like your avatar as well what movie is it from?

Thanks

Aang is the avatar. From Avatar: the last airbender on nick.

Usually, he is bending some water back and forth. But yesterday i dressed him up for thanksgiving.

Yeah I was going to say he has a hat and a swimming tom turkey with him now! LOL

You seen Princess Monokoe (idk the spelling) Cool one too.

This

Exactly. I will start a thread each month for FTS and link it to page one.

I need your opinions; I want to make sure I am following my own rules. The rules state that all original equipment must be used and that it needs to be visible. Could I attach the HOB filter to my sump? Is this okay if it is visible? Or am I bending the rules too much?

Thanks for your input- Brandon

I bought some dry rock for my tank today! :) It was $12.99 for 6 lbs of dry rock - IMO, a pretty good deal. There are three big porous pieces, two small shelf pieces, and a couple of boring round pieces that I'm going to use in my other tank. Now all I need is the actual tank. :lol:

MY GOD I JUST WENT THROUGH ALL 20 PAGES RIGHT NOW BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN THIS THREAD GOING BUT NEVER JOINED IN AND NOW IM FREEKIN HOOKED LOL........I AM BUYING ONE AS SOON AS I CAN AND JOINING THIS CONTEST :)

I WISH I WOULD HAVE READ THIS THREAD YESTERDAY CAUSE I JUST SPENT LIKE A 150 BUCKS ON CORALS AND MISC STUFF AND MY WIFE SAID THATS IT FOR THE MONTH SOOOOOOOOOO I PROB WILL BE ORDERING IT THE FIRST OR SECOND WEEK OF NOV :)

P.S GOOD LUCK EVERYONE :)

I hope you are able to join us...it will be great fun! I love your enthusiasm!

Archived