inTank Media Baskets

The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

streetsong

The question came up if a sump is okay in this contest. The rules state: No limit on equipment, livestock or budget. I would say sumps are fine. If you feel like this is the direction you would like to go, then go for it. Any opinions?

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The question came up if a sump is okay in this contest. The rules state: No limit on equipment, livestock or budget. I would say sumps are fine. If you feel like this is the direction you would like to go, then go for it. Any opinions?

My opinion is with the different categories the contest is being judged by, it won't give someone a huge advantage for winning to be hooked up to a large sump.

Personally, I want to see if I can keep a pico from crashing for a whole year, so I'm going to try it without a sump.

Let's face it if you plumb this 2 gallon pico into a 500 gallon system, you're not really doing a pico with all that volume, but in the spirit of this contest, if that is the direction you want to go I say do it. What drew me to this contest was how open it is to go any direction you want as long as you use all the equipment from the original kit.

My opinion is with the different categories the contest is being judged by, it won't give someone a huge advantage for winning to be hooked up to a large sump.

Personally, I want to see if I can keep a pico from crashing for a whole year, so I'm going to try it without a sump.

Let's face it if you plumb this 2 gallon pico into a 500 gallon system, you're not really doing a pico with all that volume, but in the spirit of this contest, if that is the direction you want to go I say do it. What drew me to this contest was how open it is to go any direction you want as long as you use all the equipment from the original kit.

You said exactly what I was thinking, but much better than I would have. Well done!

My response would be yes but with a limit. IMHO, I would say no larger then the tank itself, being 2 gallons could be the largest sump/refugium.

Again, only my humble opinion.

Rob

My response would be yes but with a limit. IMHO, I would say no larger then the tank itself, being 2 gallons could be the largest sump/refugium.

Again, only my humble opinion.

Rob

Honestly, I don't think that we need a rule on sump size. I don't think that anyone is planning a huge sump anyways. Not only that, but I'm sure that at the end of the contest, if someone did have a 600 gallon sump, it would be factored in with the judges.

I'm trying to hook my pico up with a heater, replacement filters, etc. Does anyone know if there is a current valid Big Al's discount code?

I'm trying NANOREEF10 and it doesn't seem to be working.

I'm trying to hook my pico up with a heater, replacement filters, etc. Does anyone know if there is a current valid Big Al's discount code?

I'm trying NANOREEF10 and it doesn't seem to be working.

I think the order needs to be over $100 for that code to work.

Yup - still not working...

I'm just gonna call it in. They're always really nice on the phone.

Backup10 worked for me the other day, but your total has to be over $100. They are working on getting a new website up and running per Big Al's post a little while back.

I'm not sure if this is a good spot or not for this question, but I've been burning my morning away by researching small heaters.

Does anyone have any experience with the Hydor Hydroset Electronic Thermostat? Is it accurate and reliable enough to use on one of these tiny heaters with a preset thermostat? I was planning on not heating this pico and I've been rethinking that decision.

Well I guess im out, walmart in canada dont sell 2gal Tom Deco kits.

even at www.bigalspets.ca its $97.99, wow.. Any ideas?

Perhaps eBay. I believe there may have been some previous posts about it available and the cost was not that bad. You might also give Amazon.com a shot. Hope this helps, good luck.

Rob

Tampa

I'm in. Decided to go with hillbilly reefing, think snipe hunting in appalachia. No fancy pants livestock or equipment for me, but it'll be fun to see what I can manage to track down out in the hills.

-Crystal

The Plains, Ohio

I'm in. Decided to go with hillbilly reefing, think snipe hunting in appalachia. No fancy pants livestock or equipment for me, but it'll be fun to see what I can manage to track down out in the hills.

-Crystal

The Plains, Ohio

YEEeeeehawww!!!!! No fancy equipment for me either. Just used stuff, haha. This is what I like about the contest

Well I guess im out, walmart in canada dont sell 2gal Tom Deco kits.

even at www.bigalspets.ca its $97.99, wow.. Any ideas?

I had to get mine sent to my cousins place in Michigan. My mom just brought mine home yesterday so expect a build thread as soon as I find something for a stand. :P

Not off to a good start with my pico.

Started it Sunday am, found a mini 4.75 inch heater at wally world which fits nicely into the filter.

Brewed a additional 2 gal sw during the weekly dt water change for the pico, added a couple of cups of sand from the dt to the pico and a nice xenia and red mushroom from the dt. Tank is steady at 78, 0 for all params, but bt Monday afternoon the xenia looked like crap, turned dard and hardly pulsating at all.

I removed it and put it back in the dt. I don't know what's going on...the mushroom looks good, the 2 small hermits in the pico hardly move, there's something going on, don't know what it is...is this tank going to cycle?

even with the mature sand and lr I put in it? :huh:

Sorry to hear about the minor setback. Did you add any live rock???? If not, I would think the sand you added was not enough to create a good start for any kind of Bio-load and your pico will go thru a cycle. Give it some time and keep checking the parameters. Perhaps adding some LR that may hasten a cycle.

When I set up my pico I did not test any parameters for the first 4 days. In my opinion, all tanks will go thru some type of cycle regardless of how much LS and LR you add. When I tested my tank for the first time I did note a VERY minor amount of ammonia but it was gone the next day.

Rob

Welcome another pico-adventurer to contest: moblues. I have only seen a couple of links to tanks threads here. Please post on this thread or shoot me a pm and I''l link them to page 1.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi all,

I got an opportunity to run down to my warehouse supplier and as I walked down the isle look, I stumbled upon what you guys need for your Deco kit #2.

The original replacement bulbs. They only had 5 in stock and I picked all 5 and ran back home and put them on my site.

They are only $10.69 per bulb, cheaper than the last post I saw here for $10.99. We use UPS ground flat rate of $9 dollars anywhere in the United States.

Like I mentioned I only have 5, so if you are going to buy, please pick just one so other reefers can have their share.

15ytmo.jpg

P.S

First tip from Micro-Reefs LLC, remember to change out your bulb at 6 months instead of the 1 year mark. This will increase the intensity of the Kelvin thus boosting the energy to be absorbed into the corals/polyps. ;)

YEEeeeehawww!!!!! No fancy equipment for me either. Just used stuff, haha. This is what I like about the contest

Yep, I did the store bought nice equipment and critters thing for my last tank after decades of budget DIY builds. It was boring, I'm excited to be back :lol:

I know everyone is kinda worried about finding replacement parts for the filter and light. The light(looks to be) is a standard 2-pin gx23 base lamp. These have been used in reefing for forever. I bet that these are nearly identical.

http://www.hellolights.com/13watt-5050.aspx

[edit]

This light will not work without modifications. Please read detailed description on page 25 of this thread(post #500).

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I know everyone is kinda worried about finding replacement parts for the filter and light. The light(looks to be) is a standard 2-pin gx23 base lamp. These have been used in reefing for forever. I bet that these are nearly identical.

http://www.hellolights.com/13watt-5050.aspx

I saw your post, and it looks like it's a match and a great price at only $7.95. However, they are not the Original manufacturer Tom Deco Kit #2.

At my wholesaler I saw the light you found for sale, but was hesitant that I pick up a batch and they don't work.

Remember manufacturers are sticklers about introducing non approved bulbs into their fixtures, due to electrical/burnout failure. (Don't take the risk for a couple of dollars more for original) ;)

I wish I could bring down the original replacement bulbs to your find, but I cannot... :(

Nevertheless great find...

Sincerely,

Michael Guerrero

Archived