Coral Vue Hydros

The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

streetsong

Yes, I did indeed order a second kit, it should be in sometime this coming week. I had planned on using the extra filter on my 10G for additional mechanical filtration and the perch light on a refug that I was hoping to make for the contest tank. I'm not sure if that's going to pan out. The extra tank I'm planning on using for mixing my salt water.

OH BTW, I think I made a post to one of your threads regarding a filter. Did you ever respond to it?? I think it was you!!!!!! LOL

Rob

Really? What thread was it? :huh:

You could always use the extra setup as a QT tank or frag tank. That's what my original plan was for my Deco.

Personally, I wish I could take the tank light off so that I could use it as a 'fuge light for my other pico. Since I'm doing all NPS, I don't really want a light that bright on the tank.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay folks, Streetsong asked me to address a small issue.

Let's remember that if it was not for Walmart offering these Pico tanks we would not be having this contest. PLEASE if you have a comment about a vendor kindly limit them to your own thread or in the vendors section. We don't need any wars starting over this so let's keep to the topic of the contest rules and questions. Continued negative bashing on anyone or vendor can and will be grounds for removal from the contest............................................... :slap:

Not to dwell on the point- But let's keep this thread positive and not turn it a place to post negative comments about any retailer. As you know, one comment can snowball very quickly. Bashing or abuse of any store, other contestant or NR member will constitute a report to NR moderator and removal from contest.

I'm Mame from Boulder Colorado. :)

Yes- Another Colorado reefer in our contest! :) I live in downtown Denver about a mile north of the zoo.

I'll definitely be watching this contest; i'd enter but i don't think i'm up to it, i'll stick with my 5g first sw tank.

Good luck everyone!

I just got off of the phone with Josh at Big Al's. Here's what they can do: Order by phone, you can talk to Josh or any other salesperson and you will get an additional 10% discount on your deco kit. If you bump your order amount up to $75, shipping is free. I realize that this is not a huge discount, but every bit helps.

Here is the BIG news: If Walmart gets these back in stock, we need to notify Big Al's right away and they will match the price + 10% off! WOW! Unfortunately, they can only do this if the item is in stock with the competitor. I wish I knew this earlier!

Please give your business to Big Al's if you need the tank for this contest!

Really? What thread was it? :huh:

You could always use the extra setup as a QT tank or frag tank. That's what my original plan was for my Deco.

Personally, I wish I could take the tank light off so that I could use it as a 'fuge light for my other pico. Since I'm doing all NPS, I don't really want a light that bright on the tank.

Mame,

Okay, I'm not loosing my mind I finally found the thread I was talking about,

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3563075

Regarding your light, If you don't want or need it that bright, take a piece of electrical tape and attach it to you bulb adding more tape until you get to the desired level.

Could you tell us a bit about the skimmer you make. Perhaps share some pics with us.

R

Ok making a trip to the City tomorrow will look at Wal Mart and LFS for the tank, if I can find one will enter the contest going to set up as a desk tank in my office. I like a contest where everyone has the same equipment to use they it is not what the use by how they use it.

Richard from Venice Louisiana

Oh No, I just got the following letter from Walmart regarding my purchase of a second Deco kit.

"Thank you for your recent Walmart.com order. Unfortunately, one or more items you ordered are currently on backorder and have not shipped. Although we expect to have these items back in stock and available to ship soon, they may not arrive by the original estimated delivery date and we are unable to provide you with a revised delivery date at this time.

We are working with our suppliers to ship these items as soon as possible. If we are unable to ship to you within the next 10 days, we will automatically cancel this part of your order, refund your original method of payment, and notify you via email."

Maybe there is hope for more returning to Walmart but I really doubt it as it was a clearance item. I don't think they would order more just to sell at that low price... Just my take.

ApiratenamedJohn
Ok making a trip to the City tomorrow will look at Wal Mart and LFS for the tank, if I can find one will enter the contest going to set up as a desk tank in my office. I like a contest where everyone has the same equipment to use they it is not what the use by how they use it.

Richard from Venice Louisiana

unfortunately the walmart here in turlock does not carry this kit. :(

Now you tell me.....

Shipping method: Standard

Subtotal of Items: $69.97

Shipping & Handling: $10.99

Total for this Order: $80.96

Your sub-total is $69.97, do not pass go, do not collect free shipping.

I don't think im gonna do Majano nems in my tank. I just dont think they would be able to tolerate the onslaught from Pizzmo, gupebreedr and PBJelly. I need to find more than just a bunch of majano warrior terrorists.

I need a hulk and I think I know just what im gonna get

Might be a suh prize

I don't think im gonna do Majano nems in my tank. I just dont think they would be able to tolerate the onslaught from Pizzmo, gupebreedr and PBJelly. I need to find more than just a bunch of majano warrior terrorists.

Might be a suh prize

OMG, here we go. I find it positively pathetic that you would let my lil' Pizzmo scared the poop out of you. Can't wait to find out what the Big "suh prize" might be. Perhaps you might go with a plethora of Sexy Shrimp, that might turn Pizzmo's head. :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Might be a suh prize

Dagnabbit! Now what am I supposed to do with that Majano Wand fence I built around my tank last night?

I've got blisters on my fingers!!!!!

Since there has been heavy traffic on this thread today, (Yea!) I would like to remind everyone of 3 important developments from the past 24 hours in case you missed them.

1. Our newest sponsor, Salty Supply, has graciously donated a Boston Aquafarms fragging kit to our contest. Please visit their terrific on-line store.

2. Big Al's online will be giving anyone who wants to purchase the pico for this contest an additional 10% discount.

3. Here are the updated prizes and categories:

Best Use of Original Equipment- Custom 1 gal. acrylic tank and nano mag cleaner from Micro-reefs.

Most Creative- Four-pack of coral frags from streetsong.

Most Mature looking- Custom built protien skimmer by mamejenny.

Best Coloration- Boston Aquafarms coral fragging kit from Salty Supply.

Gupebreedr has suggested that I add a rule regarding tank crashes: If your tank crashes after open-enrollment closes on 11/29/11, then you are out of the running. The reason for this: To avoid someone restarting their tank several times throughout the length of the contest. Our goal is to build healthy systems that can thrive for the entire year!

I think this a great addition to the rules. Any objections?

Suhprizes are no fun, so I will unveil what I will be getting for my wally world pico contest

HULK-BLOOD

Anthopleura Sola

Anthopleura_sola.jpg

Predators may include the nudibranch Aeolidia papillosa, and the snail Epitonium tinctum, which can feed on tentacles. The snails Opalia chacei and O. funiculate, and the sea spider Pycnogonum sternsi, feed on the column of Anthopleura xanthogrammica, and may also prey upon A. sola.

Me thinks Pizzmo's gonna get a new friend, Nicolai the nudibranch. hehehe evil laugh

Mame,

Okay, I'm not loosing my mind I finally found the thread I was talking about,

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3563075

Regarding your light, If you don't want or need it that bright, take a piece of electrical tape and attach it to you bulb adding more tape until you get to the desired level.

Could you tell us a bit about the skimmer you make. Perhaps share some pics with us.

R

That's a good idea about the tape. I was thinking of taping a piece of blue fabric to the light to give the tank a nice blue "deep sea" look.

The skimmer is an "old-fashioned" style of skimmer. It's powered by an air pump and a wooden air stone. It's about 1 3/4" from side to side and 6" tall (not including collection cup) and can fit in the Deco filter. It does not have a water pump and is designed to be mostly submerged in a high-flow area. The twist-on collection cup has a plastic lid and is very easy to clean. Besides the air pump and the air stone, all of its parts are made from recycled materials. I'll post some pics once it's fully built.

I am sorry about the walmart being evil remark.

I know it kinda sounds like back peddling, but the point i was trying to make is that it is important to support companies like big als, marine depot, etc. becouse they are supporting our wonderful hobby, not to mention this forum. To me, that makes it entirely worth the added expense of shopping with them, especially in this economy. I am not rich by any stretch, buy i would rather see a forum sponser get my money even if it costs a bit more.

Like i said, i am sorry if i have offended anyone.

Edit-

If you so choose to order anything from any of the sponsors, remember to thank them for sponsoring nr. It lets them know that the [not cheap] sponsorship is worth it.

I am sorry about the walmart being evil remark.

I know it kinda sounds like back peddling, but the point i was trying to make is that it is important to support companies like big als, marine depot, etc. becouse they are supporting our wonderful hobby, not to mention this forum. To me, that makes it entirely worth the added expense of shopping with them, especially in this economy. I am not rich by any stretch, buy i would rather see a forum sponser get my money even if it costs a bit more.

Like i said, i am sorry if i have offended anyone.

Edit-

If you so choose to order anything from any of the sponsors, remember to thank them for sponsoring nr. It lets them know that the [not cheap] sponsorship is worth it.

No problem! Thanks for your thoughts on supporting our sponsors.

I just added a few things to the rules based on your suggestions. Please review the rules- They will be finalized by the end of the day!

If you would like me to add your "real" name and city next to your screen name, please let me know.

My next task is to begin adding links to your tank threads. It would be helpful if you could pm me a link to your thread just in case I miss it in our contest thread.

We currently have 14 contestants- It would be awesome to reach 20. If you know someone who is interested, encourage them to join us. This is going to be great!

Proposed Contest Rules

*I will finalize the rules by this Saturday, October 22nd based on suggestions and concensus of the group.

Contest Guidelines

Contest length and dates: 1 year beginning on 10/29/11 and ending on 10/29/12.

Open enrollment for 1 month after start date.

If your tank crashes after open-enrollment closes on 11/29/11, then you are out of the running. (The reason for this: To avoid someone restarting their tank several times throughout the length of the contest. Our goal is to build healthy systems that can thrive for the entire year!)

Include one official picture per month on tank thread at any time during that month.

List all equipment additions as well as livestock additions or losses on tank thread.

8 month build and 4 month grow-out period. No new equipment, livestock additions after 4/29/12.

Clean-up crew is okay to add throughout the entire contest.

Shouldn't this be no new equipment or livestock after 6/29/12?

Prize Categories

Best Use of Original Equipment- Custom 1 gal. acrylic tank and nano mag cleaner from Micro-reefs.

Most Creative- Four-pack of coral frags from streetsong.

Most Mature looking- Custom built protien skimmer by mamejenny.

Best Coloration- Boston Aquafarms coral fragging kit from Salty Supply.

Does best use of original equipment mean you kept the set-up as completely stock and added nothing else? - I'm guessing it means that you've kept the pieces of the kit as the primary equipment. So no additional light fixture or filter - but would an ATO be ok for this category?

Archived