Pod Your Reef

The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

streetsong

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding starting dry again, guppy had his set up for the longest time. I do not begrudge him or the others for it at all. Mine actually will stay dry till the first week of November as I am travelling so I couldn't possibly start it on the day you decide if you change the rules now. So as much as someone will have a 1-2 week head start, I will have a 4 week possibly late start. Doesn't seem fair to anyone not to qualify due to a change in rules now. And what about the people who jump in at the open enrollment phase, their start date could possibly be 6-8 weeks later.

We bought the tank. The contest came later. Let's let the start date go and have fun.

heh, I'm going to make a pico non photosynthetic. :D I can do it on my own time though. I forsee a lot of water changes in my future.

Glad to see another person who wants a NPS pico! :D What corals do you plan to have? I'm planing to have sponges, sun corals, epizoanthids and maybe some gorgonians.

I think that we should just let everyone start their tanks whenever they want until the contest starts (and until 11/29). There will already be some differences in how fast the tanks progress due to differences in live rock, cycles, budgets, etc. A week or two doesn't matter much when the tank is still being set up or cycling.

If you're really interested in participating in a group buy, message me and tell me what you want to buy. My order is already about $65, so we're probably going to get free shipping. I'll contact Big Al's and see how they handle group buys.

Also, pics of the mini skimmer should be up in a day or two. :) I just have to add a few final touches and check it for leaks.

We bought the tank. The contest came later. Let's let the start date go and have fun.

I think that we should just let everyone start their tanks whenever they want until the contest starts (and until 11/29). There will already be some differences in how fast the tanks progress due to differences in live rock, cycles, budgets, etc. A week or two doesn't matter much when the tank is still being set up or cycling.

I agree completely!

lol but this is my 3rd tank i have set up, i dont have the money to set up another, i wish there was a 10g tank contest though

Yeah, me too. I just started my 10G a month ago......

I've got no issues with different start dates.

Mine is still dry and I don't mind if others' aren't.

Let's keep this contest going in the spirit that it started - Fast, Cheap and Out of Control (No, wait that was a movie) :)

Let's keep this contest going in the spirit that it started - Fast, Cheap and Out of Control (No, wait that was a movie) :)

I think our contest may have a new slogan- well played. Since I have not heard anything to the contrary, I am making an executive decision that if your tank is already setup, no problem! Let's have fun and learn from each other!

xxredxpandaxx
On the front page, you should make each a link to each contestants build thread so it makes it easy to check them out.

I was just about to suggest that! =]

On the front page, you should make each a link to each contestants build thread so it makes it easy to check them out.

Very much +1

You can add me to the list I just ordered my tank =]

sweet!

Also im glad were not starting dry again. I was offline this weekend during the discussion.

This weekend I found my hulkblood. Working on the update on my thread now. How is everyone else doing?

I just spoke to the manufacturers of Tom Deco Kit 2. Some info for our contestants:

• All kits come with a 90 day replacement warrantee
  • Replacement filter media is easy to find online, look for Rapids Mini Power filter replacements
  • Replacement 50/50 reef bulb is $10.99-$11.99 online, you want to look for item # TM1276, the 13W. Manufacturer suggests Aquarium connection
    Link for the bulb

I just spoke to the manufacturers of Tom Deco Kit 2. Some info for our contestants:

• All kits come with a 90 day replacement warrantee
  • Replacement filter media is easy to find online, look for Rapids Mini Power filter replacements
  • Replacement 50/50 reef bulb is $10.99-$11.99 online, you want to look for item # TM1276, the 13W. Manufacturer suggests Aquarium connection
    Link for the bulb

I wonder if they would give us a deal for a group buy....

Archived