Top Shelf Aquatics

The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

streetsong

Just set everything up last night. Here is what I have so far. I am going to start my own thread ASAP. Enjoy!

You see those two piece off to the side of my first pic...

A. What are they for?

B. Do I have to use them?

Thanks!

post-67587-1319308582_thumb.jpg

post-67587-1319308570_thumb.jpg

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ApiratenamedJohn
Just set everything up last night. Here is what I have so far. I am going to start my own thread ASAP. Enjoy!

You see those two piece off to the side of my first pic...

A. What are they for?

B. Do I have to use them?

Thanks!

post-67587-1319308582_thumb.jpg

post-67587-1319308570_thumb.jpg

upon closer inspection that looks like the filter extension and the level adjuster. the level adjuster sits in the bottom of the filter to level it out. look at the little instructions that came with it. the picture on front should explain it all. the extension isnt really necessary and would probably be in the sand anyway.

Proposed Contest Rules

*I will finalize the rules by this Saturday, October 22nd based on suggestions and concensus of the group.

Contest Guidelines

Contest length and dates: 1 year beginning on 10/29/11 and ending on 10/29/12.

Open enrollment for 1 month after start date.

If your tank crashes after open-enrollment closes on 11/29/11, then you are out of the running. (The reason for this: To avoid someone restarting their tank several times throughout the length of the contest. Our goal is to build healthy systems that can thrive for the entire year!)

Include one official picture per month on tank thread at any time during that month.

List all equipment additions as well as livestock additions or losses on tank thread.

8 month build and 4 month grow-out period. No new equipment, livestock additions after 4/29/12.

Clean-up crew is okay to add throughout the entire contest.

Shouldn't this be no new equipment or livestock after 6/29/12?

You are right by my count.

ebay has the kit for 35 bucks.

+ $15 shipping about the same on Amazon.

I'd be in for a group buy if I can join in for the replacement filters and other stuff - just not a tank.

That would be fine with me. :)

The deco 2 comes with the 12w PC light correct? I see many places advertising it as 18w (deco 3 i think) but wasnt sure. Marine depot even has it listed as 13w...

Still not sure about buying one of these for the contest... I already have three tanks that arent very impressive, why start another lol. Plus a year is a long time.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

The world of pico's is short lived when it's brought down in volume, especially if you consider a 1 and 2/3 gallon version. They are volatile tanks that have really bad swings in heat and salinity changes. End result is frustration beyond belief...

So, the beauty of this contest and why I support it is simple.

I THINK THAT ANYONE, BEGINNER OR ADVANCE THAT MAINTAINS A 2 GALLON PICO FOR A YEAR IS A TRUE REEFER... IT SHOWS PASSION AND PATIENCE IN THIS CRAZY HOBBY... YOU ARE ALL WINNERS IF YOU ASK ME, BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE IN MAKING THE IMPOSSIBLE BECOME POSSIBLE... ;)

I'd be willing to organize a Big Al's group buy if we can get 4-5 people who are interested.

id be willing to join in if you could get a group buy going at big als for replacement media as well.

The world of pico's is short lived when it's brought down in volume, especially if you consider a 1 and 2/3 gallon version. They are volatile tanks that have really bad swings in heat and salinity changes. End result is frustration beyond belief...

So, the beauty of this contest and why I support it is simple.

I THINK THAT ANYONE, BEGINNER OR ADVANCE THAT MAINTAINS A 2 GALLON PICO FOR A YEAR IS A TRUE REEFER... IT SHOWS PASSION AND PATIENCE IN THIS CRAZY HOBBY... YOU ARE ALL WINNERS IF YOU ASK ME, BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE IN MAKING THE IMPOSSIBLE BECOME POSSIBLE... ;)

Well said, Mike! I look forward to your presence on this thread.

Perhaps the rules can be relaxed slightly to include other 2-1 gallon tanks? I simply can't afford 50 bucks, and wanna join!

It's done this way as it comes with certain equipment they are requiring get's used (the light and the HOB filter). If you don't get the kit or have one then you don't have the parts you need to compete.

I would join but I am fighting with my 46 right now and winning! Once I get this guy going I am definitely going to start a pico.

GL guys I am following this thread!

ApiratenamedJohn
Perhaps the rules can be relaxed slightly to include other 2-1 gallon tanks? I simply can't afford 50 bucks, and wanna join!

maybe other tom deco kits then? ive seen the one gallon go for 33 at my not so lfs.

Hi everyone! Regarding the posts about using other tanks for this contest:

1. We all want to be using the equipment included with the kit. The idea of this contest sprung from the fact that so many people bought this package with identical accessories. As the rules state, you may add equipment but we are all using what came in the box. If I change this, than I think it is hard to draw a line of what I will and won't include. Sorry, but I won't budge on this.

2. As far as including Tom's deco kits of other sizes: This really changes the playing field. 3 gallons is 1/3 more water than 2 gal. (Yes, I'm a mathematical genius ;)) I think that we all need to have the same tank.

I hate having to exclude people, and I know times are tough for many folks. However, I want people who have already committed to being in the contest to feel like they are being treated fairly. It is possible that someone who has already entered the contest, purchased this tank so they could participate even though they might already own another similar kit.

On another note: It has come to my attention that about 5 or 6 people in the contest have had their tanks up and running for a week or two. This is my fault- I did not say anything in the rules about starting with dry tanks on day one. I also want to solve this issue in quick, equitable manner. The options are:

1. Let it slide knowing that in the big scheme of things, a week or two won't matter that much. I would feel bad if someone had to trash live-rock and sand. I would also add that if you haven't begun, wait until the start day.

2. Ask everyone to start dry. Again,this was my fault.

Issues always come up. I want to try to be as fair as possible to everyone.

heh, I'm going to make a pico non photosynthetic. :D I can do it on my own time though. I forsee a lot of water changes in my future.

Sounds cool! Thanks for your understanding.

Hi everyone! Regarding the posts about using other tanks for this contest:

1. We all want to be using the equipment included with the kit. The idea of this contest sprung from the fact that so many people bought this package with identical accessories. As the rules state, you may add equipment but we are all using what came in the box. If I change this, than I think it is hard to draw a line of what I will and won't include. Sorry, but I won't budge on this.

2. As far as including Tom's deco kits of other sizes: This really changes the playing field. 3 gallons is 1/3 more water than 2 gal. (Yes, I'm a mathematical genius ;)) I think that we all need to have the same tank.

I hate having to exclude people, and I know times are tough for many folks. However, I want people who have already committed to being in the contest to feel like they are being treated fairly. tIt is possible that someone who has already entered the contest, purchased this tank so they could participate even though they might already own another similar kit.

Well put, I totally agree! I hate to see any one left out. Perhaps a different type of contest can be started for those who may have other types of Pico's

On another note: It has come to my attention that about 5 or 6 people in the contest have had their tanks up and running for a week or two. This is my fault- I did not say anything in the rules about starting with dry tanks on day one. I also want to solve this issue in quick, equitable manner. The options are:

1. Let it slide knowing that in the big scheme of things, a week or two won't matter that much. I would feel bad if someone had to trash live-rock and sand. I would also add that if you haven't begun, wait until the start day.

2. Ask everyone to start dry. Again,this was my fault.

Issues always come up. I want to try to be as fair as possible to everyone.

Well, obviously I'm going to be biased on this as I was the first one to set up my tank and the one that bought this Walmart Deco2 kit to everyone's attention. At the time I set it up we really had no concrete plans on running a contest and I wanted those who were interested in the Deco2 to see what it actually looked like. My tank is currently 10 days old..........

Archived