Cultivated Reef

The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

streetsong

Don't get me wrong, I think that people should buy up the 5 that you have. (if for no other reason that to see your new business be successful)(I'm big on supporting companies that support our hobby) These type of lamps are becoming harder to come by (mostly because they suck compared to the new technology) and I want others to know that the lamp it isn't anything proprietary to Toms. At one point in time, You could find retrofit kits for these all over the place. Now, LEDs are all the rage and the lower light CF lighting has fell by the wayside(thank god).

I just ordered one of the lamps from HL(an old NR sponsor) and I will post pics of the lamps side by side when I have them.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have also updated the list in this post. If I am missing any threads, please post them here.

Streetsong-

The code in the above link can be copy pasted into the first post of this thread. I sometimes have time on my hands at work to do small stuff like this, I know it can be a pain.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Don't get me wrong, I think that people should buy up the 5 that you have. (if for no other reason that to see your new business be successful)(I'm big on supporting companies that support our hobby) These type of lamps are becoming harder to come by (mostly because they suck compared to the new technology) and I want others to know that the lamp it isn't anything proprietary to Toms. At one point in time, You could find retrofit kits for these all over the place. Now, LEDs are all the rage and the lower light CF lighting has fell by the wayside(thank god).

I just ordered one of the lamps from HL(an old NR sponsor) and I will post pics of the lamps side by side when I have them.

Thanks for your support,

Little guys like us, stay alive because of reefers like you... I normally wouldn't get Deco Kit stuff at all for my site, since I market something completely different...

In fact, my supplier was in shock when she saw me take all the lights.

I didn't even thick twice, I just grabbed than all and couldn't wait to share them on this thread. :)

This thread is making me grow anxious, as I don't know what new things develop on each individual post.

I can't wait to see what I read next... :o

Thanks for your support,

Little guys like us, stay alive because of reefers like you... I normally wouldn't get Deco Kit stuff at all for my site, since I market something completely different...

In fact, my supplier was in shock when she saw me take all the lights.

I didn't even thick twice, I just grabbed than all and couldn't wait to share them on this thread. :)

This thread is making me grow anxious, as I don't know what new things develop on each individual post.

I can't wait to see what I read next... :o

Do you carry the Digital Aquatics RKM SL-1 Module?

I will need an ato for my tank and I see you have the switches.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Do you carry the Digital Aquatics RKM SL-1 Module?

I will need an ato for my tank and I see you have the switches.

Not in stock, but I am a dealer for all Digital Aquatics line. In fact, I just ordered two more ReefKeeper Lite's today for my site. I can add to that order if you need the RKM SL-1 Module.

Hit me up with a PM and I'll quote you a price and shipping.

I will match Marine Depot since they are here in California with me... :)

Sincerely,

Michael Guerrero

Not in stock, but I am a dealer for all Digital Aquatics line. In fact, I just ordered two more ReefKeeper Lite's today for my site. I can add to that order if you need the RKM SL-1 Module.

Hit me up with a PM and I'll quote you a price and shipping.

I will match Marine Depot since they are here in California with me... :)

Sincerely,

Michael Guerrero

Pay day is the 1st. Expect a pm then.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Pay day is the 1st. Expect a pm then.

No worries,

I called my supplier and ordered two for my site. You will be able to see it shortly on my site with a price and shipping cost.

Thanks for the suggestions on what to carry.... :)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
No worries,

I called my supplier and ordered two for my site. You will be able to see it shortly on my site with a price and shipping cost.

Thanks for the suggestions on what to carry.... :)

It's on my site now.... :)

Hey Mike,

Since you've been so helpful, and you sell those Hydor mini heaters, can I hit you up for some pico heating advice?

I know the Hydors need a controller since the pre-set thermostat is apparently a little wonky. How much heat do they generate in your experience? (Or anyone else's who'd like to chime in.) My apartment gets cold at night and I need a heater that can raise the water temperature at least 10 degrees (if not more) above the ambient room temp. Is the mini, or some other small heater, powerful enough, or should I give up the ghost and just stick a big honking 25watt submersible along the back wall?

Hey Mike,

Since you've been so helpful, and you sell those Hydor mini heaters, can I hit you up for some pico heating advice?

+1. Questions about heating a tank this small came up last week on this thread. We would all be grateful for any advice that you could share.

I have also updated the list in this post. If I am missing any threads, please post them here.

Thanks for your work on this!

Hey Mike,

I know the Hydors need a controller since the pre-set thermostat is apparently a little wonky. How much heat do they generate in your experience? (Or anyone else's who'd like to chime in.) My apartment gets cold at night and I need a heater that can raise the water temperature at least 10 degrees (if not more) above the ambient room temp. Is the mini, or some other small heater, powerful enough, or should I give up the ghost and just stick a big honking 25watt submersible along the back wall?

I was worried about that too. I just got 2 of 'em. I will plug a power strip into the reefkeeper so they are both on the same channel on the reffkeeper.

I just realized that we are up to 21 participants! This is incredible! Let's see if we can reach 30 by the start date (next Saturday). Tell your friends!

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Hey Mike,

+1. Questions about heating a tank this small came up last week on this thread. We would all be grateful for any advice that you could share.

Thanks for your work on this!

I was worried about that too. I just got 2 of 'em. I will plug a power strip into the reefkeeper so they are both on the same channel on the reffkeeper.

Attention Pico Reefers,

Re: Hydor mini heater 7.5 watt

I have used this heater for the last couple of years and have both positive and negative reviews.

Positive

1. Very easy to conceal, in a AC20 filter or in the gravel.

2. Will not burn or damage what it comes in contact while concealed.

3. Works nicely if ambient temps in a room do not fall below 70 degrees.

I use this heater in my 2 gallon pico, where the volume is not overwhelming to not allow it to get my tank at where it should be.

This heater will raise your tank temp at least 4-5 degrees above what you ambient temps are at.

Negative

1. Room temp drops below 69 degrees in a 2 gallon volume your tank will start to drop to 74 degrees.

2. No built in thermostat so you need it to be controlled for precision

When I once left my windows open in the night and forgot, I returned and my room was 68 degrees ambient, the tank was at 73.5 and struggling.

I quickly shut the windows and within the hour, my tank temp started to crawl back up to 76.5 degrees.

Summary,

Will I recommend it for 2 gallon and below, yes only if your room stays above 70 degrees. If you require more juice and the sleek design, you can get their 15 watt version that will counteract the drop in ambient temp below 70 degrees. I have decided to offer both on my site, for my particular picos. The 3 gallon for sure, requires the 15 watt version.

I think it's of high quality and well worth it weight.

Remember, if you are not using a controller I like to connect it during the night where I know the temps will drop in the night, it stablizes the tank and keeps my 1 2/3 pico at 77 degrees through the night.

But, I do disconnect it if I check the weather and know it will be a hot day, I'm up on the 2nd floor and the Sun hits my room, my room has gotten to 88 degrees and my tank stays at 82 degrees but wthout the heater.

So solution for a good heater that has a built in thermostat if you will not run a DA RKL, get the Hagen Elite mini submersible heater. I have them on my site and do stand by them. :)

Hope this helps out...

Thanks so much for the rundown Mike.

And thanks for taking so much time to help us all out. It's all well and good to google stuff like this, but being able to ask you in person is really invaluable.

I've had a different experience with the Hydor Mini heaters. I got the 15 watt version for my 3g Picotope. The room the tank is in is kept at about 70-72 degrees all year around, so I just needed something that would heat the tank 5-6 degrees. The heater would only heat my tank up to about 74 degrees, and it occasionally let the tank drop to 70. When I accidentally left about half an inch of the heater out of water after a water change, it cracked all the way down and stopped working. Fortunately, I had just put in a new heater when it happened, so my tank wasn't affected.

I got a 50w preset Tetra heater for my tank, which I'm very happy with. It keeps the tank at a steady 77-78 degrees and automatically turns off when the temperature is too high. It's also fully submersible, so you can hide it behind your rocks if you don't like how it looks.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I've had a different experience with the Hydor Mini heaters. I got the 15 watt version for my 3g Picotope. The room the tank is in is kept at about 70-72 degrees all year around, so I just needed something that would heat the tank 5-6 degrees. The heater would only heat my tank up to about 74 degrees, and it occasionally let the tank drop to 70. When I accidentally left about half an inch of the heater out of water after a water change, it cracked all the way down and stopped working. Fortunately, I had just put in a new heater when it happened, so my tank wasn't affected.

I got a 50w preset Tetra heater for my tank, which I'm very happy with. It keeps the tank at a steady 77-78 degrees and automatically turns off when the temperature is too high. It's also fully submersible, so you can hide it behind your rocks if you don't like how it looks.

Wow,

That's a bad experience with the Hydor 15 watt, sorry to hear you went through that but happy that you found success with the Tetra.

Let me add that a heater is most productive under high flow...

I personally run the Hydor mini 7.5 watt inside the Hagen AC20 filter where it receives contant flowing water. I believe it really makes a huge difference in keeping the tank heated properly.

I have placed it under the gravel and just against the wall of the tank and not gotten the same constant results as when it stays in the high flow area.

When a heater is blocked from making full contact on flowing water, there is a huge difference.

I wonder if you had your Mini 15 watt inside your filter for maximum efficiency?

It really doesn't matter, because whenever you get a higher power heater, you will always solve these types of issues, however at a price, they are more expensive and much more difficult to conceal.

Hope this amends my previous report... :)

Let me add that a heater is most productive under high flow...

This actually isn't entirely accurate. The physics and math don't work. A heater will put the same amount of energy(heat) into a tank regardless of flow. The difference between a high flow tank and one that is stagnant would be how the heat is distributed throughout the tank. A stagnant tank would be warmer near the heater and cooler farther from the heater, where a tank with some water agitation would have a more consistent temperature throughout. The only way I can see the flow affecting the actual amount of energy(heat), would be if the water was so stagnant that the heater's thermostat tripped and the heater turned off before the entire tank was heated. Although, if you have this little flow in a reef tank, you have bigger problems that consistent heat.

Delivery of my pico should be today! I will then start a thread for it :P

Weclome to the contest! I'm glad it worked out for you. Please let me know when you have your tank thread up so I can link your name on page 1 to it.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
This actually isn't entirely accurate. The physics and math don't work. A heater will put the same amount of energy(heat) into a tank regardless of flow. The difference between a high flow tank and one that is stagnant would be how the heat is distributed throughout the tank. A stagnant tank would be warmer near the heater and cooler farther from the heater, where a tank with some water agitation would have a more consistent temperature throughout. The only way I can see the flow affecting the actual amount of energy(heat), would be if the water was so stagnant that the heater's thermostat tripped and the heater turned off before the entire tank was heated. Although, if you have this little flow in a reef tank, you have bigger problems that consistent heat.

I stand corrected, you are absolutely correct with your math/physics calculations.... You see I wrote it late at night and I wasn't thinking straight, HA DON'T KID YOURSELF MIKE, YOU HATED MATH YOUR WHOLE LIFE... :P

What it boils down to is volume of tank and good water flow to a correct size heater.

Last night I came home to my 2 gallon tank, room was 64.5 degrees in my room ambient. My tank was at 74.5 degrees. And this is with the Hydor 7.5 watt heater, I wonder if I take it out and use the 15 watt version and run the same test?

I will do that if you guys ask, and I will post pics of the ambient temps with tank temp simultaneously, the proof is in the pudding, right?

Okay but no math/physics, we will leave that to herranton.... :)

Is there any advantages to putting the HOB on the side as opposed to the back?

I guess if it were on the side you would see it on your FTS... not that it matters. However I do see lots of people putting the light clamp on backwards which looks like it leaves 1/4th of the tank with less light. Just an observation.

xxredxpandaxx
I guess if it were on the side you would see it on your FTS... not that it matters. However I do see lots of people putting the light clamp on backwards which looks like it leaves 1/4th of the tank with less light. Just an observation.

I was talking about the filter not the light :)

Archived