Pod Your Reef

Rosco Pico Tank

cberglof

When my tank arrived my wife said "What is that?" In my cool no big deal voice I replied "Just a cheap pico tank I got from Wal-Mart." Her reply..."Like Rosco P. Coltrane?" So I have decide to name my tank Rosco Pico.

I ordered the pico to have a little bit of reef at work. Then decide to join the contest. I have it set up at home now until I get it running smoothly and then will be packing it up and carting it to work for all my coworkers to enjoy.

Planning on keeping this very simple.

10/31/11:

2.5lbs live sand

1.5lbs live rock

Stock Filter

Stock light

IMAG0207.jpg

Don't seem to be getting a cycle, but didn't expect much since everything came from established tanks. I have seen pods on the glass in the mornings.

11/4/11:

Decided to add some trimmings from my main tank

Kenya Tree

GSP

Purple mushroom

Chaeto

DSC_0004-2.jpg

When my tank arrived my wife said "What is that?" In my cool no big deal voice I replied "Just a cheap pico tank I got from Wal-Mart." Her reply..."Like Rosco P. Coltrane?" So I have decide to name my tank Rosco Pico.

I ordered the pico to have a little bit of reef at work. Then decide to join the contest. I have it set up at home now until I get it running smoothly and then will be packing it up and carting it to work for all my coworkers to enjoy.

Planning on keeping this very simple.

10/31/11:

2.5lbs live sand

1.5lbs live rock

Stock Filter

Stock light

IMAG0207.jpg

Don't seem to be getting a cycle, but didn't expect much since everything came from established tanks. I have seen pods on the glass in the mornings.

11/4/11:

Decided to add some trimmings from my main tank

Kenya Tree

GSP

Purple mushroom

Chaeto

DSC_0004-2.jpg

:welcome: Welcome to our little contest, you are in good company. It's all in fun and hopefully we all learn something from this.

Your set up looks great, keep an eye on the parameters as they can change quickly in such a small tank.

Simple is good IMHO. One of my two entries is going to be kept simple and bare bones. The other is going to be a bit more complex. I'm curious to see how the both work out.

Anyways, welcome again and good luck.

Rob

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Welcome,

The pico world is fascinating as it is small. Take time to see the very unique growth that starts to take place. It truly is something to think about, when you consider evolution and how it might start?

You just sparked life in your tiny tank.... :)

Mike Guerrero

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Any updates or new pics of your rosco-pico?

DSC_0196-1.jpg

Not the best pic. This was from 1/31/12. The tank has been going great. I have eagle eye zoas, frog spawn, kenya tree, gsp, a purple/ blue mushroom, flame algae, and just added some yellow polyps. I had a citron goby but couldn't get him to eat well. He survived about 3 months but lost him last week. I also have a pistol shrimp that I rarely see but hear every night.

I have been really surprised at how easy this tank has been to maintain. I change about 3/4 gallon every 2 weeks and that is it, other then top offs. I haven't been testing my water other then salinity. My zoas have been disappearing, I am not sure if it is light shortage, a water issue, or perhaps the pistol. I will get an updated pictures soon.

Thanks for the interest!

• 3 months later...

I'm going to be out of town for the rest of the month so just in case I'm still in this little contest here are updated photos. Just about all my Zoas have disappeared but everything else has been doing well. The pistol is doing well. I hear him every night and even get to see him once in awhile.

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

Archived